Edo in San Miguel de Allende

16 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Hi, Jenny!

If you send me an email, we are then in contact.  I'm   edoruan@gmail.com

I'm on my way back to NYC June 30th, so I'm unable to fully focused on what comes after all I have to do there to close down my past. Then I'll be totally about Porto. 

Do you think I can find a small rental flat there for about 400 to 500 euros a month? 

Edo

Oddly enough Porto was one of my "maybes" for November.

November? Hmm. Check the weather for rain, if you're on a photo shoot..

I like the general look of the year-round weather in Porto -- not too cold in winter, not too hot in summer. But I'm not looking for Shangri-La. 

I had a haircut here in San Miguel today It cost me 50 pesos, which is $2.46US. A haircut in NYC costs $35 and up. 

4 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I like the general look of the year-round weather in Porto -- not too cold in winter, not too hot in summer. But I'm not looking for Shangri-La. 

I had a haircut here in San Miguel today It cost me 50 pesos, which is $2.46US. A haircut in NYC costs $35 and up. 

Yes, I know it's rainy season...I just did Rome last year the last week of November and it was great weather for me...I don't do well in heat or crowds so it's a trade off.

I lived in Rome in the '60s. It was wonderful back then. I was last there in 2008. The city has too many crushing problems now: too crowded, too expensive, a political zoo, and many others. I'm from New York, but Rome will always be my spiritual home. 

Edo

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

OMG prices have really gone up. A haircut on Canal Street used to be $1.50. B)

On 6/15/2018 at 11:28, Ed Rooney said:

Mark, Porto has gone to the top of my destinations list. Lisbon rents have risen too high. Unfortunately the rental costs listed in Numbeo.com are not accurate for San Miguel, so who knows about Porto.

I'd be cautious about anything in Central America as the bad things in the northern countries of Central America can affect Costa Rica (quite expensive) and Panama.  My part-time housekeeper in Nicaragua has decided to go to Costa Rica since the hotel where she worked most of the time has had no business since the troubles began.  I can hire her for another part day but she hates sitting at home.  Other friends are also leaving for Germany (German husband, Nicaraguan wife and children). 

Portugal and Spain both seem to have gotten over their pasts and you'd be close to a number of other countries in Europe.   Mexico may let you in as an artist as a full time resident, but the best place for a more cosmopolitan life seems to be certain neighborhoods in Mexico City.  Right now, you're in a very touristy city -- some place in Oaxaca might less expensive. 

Meanwhile, I see things connected to the troubles that I'd like to photograph, but some photographers have had gear stolen, and I'm 70. 

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I lived in Rome in the '60s. It was wonderful back then. I was last there in 2008. The city has too many crushing problems now: too crowded, too expensive, a political zoo, and many others. I'm from New York, but Rome will always be my spiritual home. 

Edo

Rome was good for me in November....it wasn't as crowded and being alone, it didn't overwhelm me.

2 hours ago, MizBrown said:

I'd be cautious about anything in Central America as the bad things in the northern countries of Central America can affect Costa Rica (quite expensive) and Panama.  My part-time housekeeper in Nicaragua has decided to go to Costa Rica since the hotel where she worked most of the time has had no business since the troubles began.  I can hire her for another part day but she hates sitting at home.  Other friends are also leaving for Germany (German husband, Nicaraguan wife and children). 

Portugal and Spain both seem to have gotten over their pasts and you'd be close to a number of other countries in Europe.   Mexico may let you in as an artist as a full time resident, but the best place for a more cosmopolitan life seems to be certain neighborhoods in Mexico City.  Right now, you're in a very touristy city -- some place in Oaxaca might less expensive. 

Meanwhile, I see things connected to the troubles that I'd like to photograph, but some photographers have had gear stolen, and I'm 70. 

The current situation in Nicaragua sounds really bad, which is unfortunate. Things seemed to going quite well when I last visited in 2008.

My favourite neighbourhoods in Mexico City are Coyoacán and Roma, both very pleasant. Not sure what the rents are like. Certainly cheaper than San Miguel, though.

13 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

The current situation in Nicaragua sounds really bad, which is unfortunate. Things seemed to going quite well when I last visited in 2008.

My favourite neighbourhoods in Mexico City are Coyoacán and Roma, both very pleasant. Not sure what the rents are like. Certainly cheaper than San Miguel, though.

My town is having an uneasy truce with many of the barricade still up (sent some photos to news a few minutes ago).  Masaya seems to be having near constant street fighting with arms on both sides.  San Juan del Sur is simply suffering shortages from the barricades between it and supplies.  

I was very careful to ask permission for the shots I did take.  One barricade told me no; the other one said okay.  

Coyocan is nice, didn't see Roma when I was there.  Area around the Benito Juarez Theatre also looks safe and pleasant.

12 hours ago, MizBrown said:

My town is having an uneasy truce with many of the barricade still up (sent some photos to news a few minutes ago).  Masaya seems to be having near constant street fighting with arms on both sides.  San Juan del Sur is simply suffering shortages from the barricades between it and supplies.  

I was very careful to ask permission for the shots I did take.  One barricade told me no; the other one said okay.  

Coyocan is nice, didn't see Roma when I was there.  Area around the Benito Juarez Theatre also looks safe and pleasant.

Porto it is, then, Ed.

Edo, wherever you'll decide to live consider Video footages (Log).

1) Create a Youtube channel and start monetizing your videos

2) Create an Amazon affiliate and use 1) for redirect people

3) Contact some brands and make free videos for them to grow your portfolio

4) Weddings

5) Stock Footages (pls ask me which agencies)

Hope it helps :)

Gen, Porto is now off the list -- too many hills, and its hard to find small apartments for rent, says my local contact. Faro in the Algarve?

I may have to ask to sleep on your saltwater crocodile bench. :rolleyes:

Edo

Edo, I know you're not keen on Mexico City, which is understandable. However, it does have some very livable neighbourhoods, a good public transit system (same metro system as Montreal) , and quite a few other pluses. Anyway, thought I'd pass this website along just for the heck of it. Housing costs look to be in your budget -- as low as about $400 USD for a furnished studio apartment in a "normal" area according to the site. 

Buenos Aires is pretty flat.

The people are basically Italians speaking Spanish.

Great food! (Maybe less so for vegetarians.) Lots of inflation, which is good as long as you hold on to your $$.

Don't know about the health system though.

wim

5 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Gen, Porto is now off the list -- too many hills, and its hard to find small apartments for rent, says my local contact. Faro in the Algarve?

Edo

Mexico City in those three neighborhoods even meets the US State Department seal of approval.  The city is surrounded by some impressive mountains, but itself isn't particularly hill, just high altitude at 7,000 feet above sea level.  Minimum income for retirees is 400x the minimum wage, and ends up being around $1500 to $2000 a month.  Artists can apply for special residency.  Or you spend six months in and six months out.   I have residency in Nicaragua which will allow me to spend one day less than six months out every year.   If you qualify for residency under either pensionado income or as a working artist, Mexico City struck me as pretty amazing and with a decent climate.   I'm in Nicaragua because I don't have the minimum income and I actually like Nicaragua when it's not throwing political fits, but it appears to throw those around every 20 years or so and a lot of the prices are quite nuts for the conditions. 

My preference anywhere is a city where I can walk to most shopping and where the temperatures are generally under 85 F.  Mexico City is a huge sprawling monster, but it isn't that hard to get out to the countryside by public transportation and has a range of different places to from apartments to houses in town.  Closest thing sound of the US to NYC (I lived there for 7 years in the 1970s, on the Upper West Side and on Mott Street a block north of Houston).

Rebecca, I've been to Mexico City and to all the countries in Central America except Nicaragua and Belize doing photo shoots. I was headed for Nicaragua on the day they had the big earthquake in the '70s. We flew on the Costa Rica. With few exceptions, I've been everywhere in South America too. All interesting places to visit, but I do not want to move down there. 

17 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Edo

Sorry to hear that. 

My croc says hi and is licking its chops in anticipation.

I had a closer look at him today, and with its narrow snout, it appears to be a freshie rather than a saltie.

Good luck Ed.

Gen

3 hours ago, gvallee said:

Sorry to hear that. 

My croc says hi and is licking its chops in anticipation.

I had a closer look at him today, and with its narrow snout, it appears to be a freshie rather than a saltie.

Good luck Ed.

Gen

Oh oh. Can you pet the freshies?

I was telling a bartender on Green Island that I was gonna have a walk and go to bed, and he told me to watch out for the salties. Don't know if he was kidding, but I skipped my night's walk.

9 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Oh oh. Can you pet the freshies?

I was telling a bartender on Green Island that I was gonna have a walk and go to bed, and he told me to watch out for the salties. Don't know if he was kidding, but I skipped my night's walk.

Petting not sure about that but if you don't bother them, they leave you in peace.

I think you did the right thing at Green Island (I stayed there recently). Salties are found everywhere along the coast around here, even inside the 'safe' net protected swimming areas.  Unfortunately, we read of casualties almost every month.

I just sailed along the Cape York coast for 3 days (don't ask why, that's another disaster story..., my middle name is 'Adventure') and we were told that salties can be found kilometres out at sea. The ship I was on occasionally transport big salties for relocation. We heard that a big male was relocated hundred of kms on the other side of the peninsula. Within 6 months he had returned home...

Gen

They are formidable creatures, as I'm sure you know. I was only in Australia that one time, on a shoot for PanAm. I was on Heron Island when the giant sea turtles were laying their eggs. Thrilling. 

Edo

I will be leaving Mexico tomorrow. One night in Dallas, and then 10 days in NYC, where I will sell my landlord my lease, clean out a few things from the closed apartment, and abandoning everything else -- my entire past life. I will then be visiting my stepson in Montreal for a week or two, and try to figure out what to do next.

Thank you again, forum folks and Alamy, for your help and support. 

Edo

Archived