Edo in San Miguel de Allende

Yes. You can see the Angelos’ sign. That’s where the fire was. Sorry to answer for you, Ed. When I first moved to 8th St it was that crowded. Fortunately a bit calmer now though I wouldn’t take an apartment facing the street then or now. 

Paulette

1 minute ago, NYCat said:

Yes. You can see the Angelos’ sign. That’s where the fire was. Sorry to answer for you, Ed. When I first moved to 8th St it was that crowded. Fortunately a bit calmer now though I wouldn’t take an apartment facing the street then or now. 

Paulette

LOL Yes, I was just about to say that, Paulette. That's 146 Mulberry, Kumar. Sorry I missed meeting you. Don't bother walking the Brooklyn Bridge, but take the Wall Street ferry to Dumbo, Brooklyn, and shoot back at the bridge and the city. 

As things are now, I may never set foot in that building again. I can't afford to live anywhere in Greater New York, not even way out in Queens. If I told you all my numbers, you would understand, but to repeat myself, I don't share numbers in an open forum. 

I still don't know where I'll be heading at the end of this month, don't know if I can find a place to stay for a short time in NYC. It's very hard for an old guy like me to keep my energy up for this "adventure." 

4 hours ago, Colin Woods said:

Four thousand a month. We just rented our second house at $1450CAN per month - that's a three bed house in Quebec City.  

You would have trouble finding a small apartment for that amount in Vancouver. Actually, these days you would be lucky to find an apartment period.

5 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Edo,

Not allowed to sub-let? 

I don't understand your question, Ian. Me sublet my flat to others? No, that's forbidden in the lease. 

Mark, Porto has gone to the top of my destinations list. Lisbon rents have risen too high. Unfortunately the rental costs listed in Numbeo.com are not accurate for San Miguel, so who knows about Porto.

Port? I love it, but the worst migraine I ever had was drinking tawny Port with crumbly bit of parmesan.

For those of you who consider me a spend thrift for eating out, remember that I never eat dinner out or at home, just lunch. 

28 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I don't understand your question, Ian. Me sublet my flat to others? No, that's forbidden in the lease. 

Mark, Porto has gone to the top of my destinations list. Lisbon rents have risen too high. Unfortunately the rental costs listed in Numbeo.com are not accurate for San Miguel, so who knows about Porto.

Port? I love it, but the worst migraine I ever had was drinking tawny Port with crumbly bit of parmesan.

For those of you who consider me a spend thrift for eating out, remember that I never eat dinner out or at home, just lunch. 

Ever thought of Panama City? Panama offers some really good perks for foreign retirees ( Pensionado Visa).

18 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Ever thought of Panama City? Panama offers some really good perks for foreign retirees.

Not bad but if Ed goes to the EU his healthcare costs go to zero from day one for a start.

Ed, probably not lunch at Antiquum every day (although you get most of the way on a vintage tram), but there are some good places the locals use. Apartments from €250/month if you believe the internet.

Here's your dessert.

HDKJC3.jpg

Migraine? Must have been the cheese.

I got a cluster of migraines on my 50th birthday week, and I have not had one since. 

I don't believe the prices on the Net anymore, but I must go somewhere. 

Panama, John? Why don't I just go back to Vietnam? Maybe War Zone C would be nice this time of year? No tropical locations for me, thanks. 

3 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I got a cluster of migraines on my 50th birthday week, and I have not had one since. 

I don't believe the prices on the Net anymore, but I must go somewhere. 

Panama, John? Why don't I just go back to Vietnam? Maybe War Zone C would be nice this time of year? No tropical locations for me, thanks. 

Yes, both fake news and fake prices are now rampant on the Web.

Understood. No more tropical paradise suggestions. Mind you, a lot depends on altitude. For instance, you might think you're in Switzerland in the Panamanian mountain town of Boquete. It would seem very sleepy, however, after NYC.

the-misty-mountain-town-of-boquete-chiri

John, I've been to 66 countries; I used to be a travel marketing photographer. I understand the world. Actually I did not know there were mountainous parts of Panama. But prices in 2018? That I don't know. But remember I'm a city boy, and won't be driving. 

32 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

John, I've been to 66 countries; I used to be a travel marketing photographer. I understand the world. Actually I did not know there were mountainous parts of Panama. But prices in 2018? That I don't know. But remember I'm a city boy, and won't be driving. 

The Continental Divide runs right thru Panama. I was surprised at how diverse the landscape is for such a small country. They grow lots of coffee beans in the mountains around Boquete, and the locals like the Swiss chalet look for their houses. Not really an ideal place of a city boy, though. I took buses from Panama City to Boquete. It was quite a long haul. I appreciate your quandary. It's a really big (and tough) decision to be faced with.

A member of years ago, I was considering moving to Ireland. I like the people (I'm from Brooklyn and part of the Foreign Birth program, because all my grandparents were born there). And there's a lot of other good things. But then there's the weather. I remember being on the beach in Sligo, shivering in a winter coat in August. Ireland? I don't think so. 

Yes, since I'm not a resident of any EU country now, I don't get every benefit. Amsterdam (a lovely city) probably has different rules from Portugal. I'm not looking for perfection you understand? I have to take some risks. 

1 hour ago, funkyworm said:

I'm not so sure about that... I pay €115 per month with dental plus I have to pay the first €385 per year if I make use of the health service. If you have a low income much of the monthly payment can be covered by government benefits but not the €385  https://www.iamsterdam.com/en/living/everyday-essentials/medical-care-and-insurance/health-insurance

Wow.

Well, we have "national insurance"  collected with income tax but those on a low income and pensioners don't pay it.

I guess Holland is off Ed's list. I don't know about Portugal, of course.

In the UK, as an EU national you're not  required to declare yourself as a resident. That will change if we leave the EU.

You'd be okay in Canada, but it's cold and if you want to live in a major centre with access to good medical...$$$$ (but not NYC $$$$).

Mark, I lived in Oxfordshire for 7 years. That's when I got my Irish citizenship. As an Irish republic dude, I could de anything a Brit could do including vote. I didn't vote, but I did work occasionally. However . . . the times they are a changing. 

That elegant Porto restaurant has a Michelin star. $$$$$

There are places in the USA that has low cost of living. Oklahoma is one.  I would check out cities that have bus services.  No language barrier other than southern drawls, etc. Then the Medicare still works and Ed is already knowledgeable about it.

I'm no spring chicken myself, and in a position where I needed to move out of state and didn’t drive, I’d look for a city with bus service, decent medical care (hospitals, choice of doctors) and low rent/food costs.

There was a bus stop 2 blocks away from our house in Oklahoma City.  We were 3 blocks from a supermarket, (another bus stop) dollar store closer yet,  convenience store 3 blocks away. Used to have a neighborhood Walmart 2-3 blocks away but it moved. Apartments would be hard for me to compare rents w/o knowing what Ed paid. And I don’t blame him for not saying.

There are other places similar.

Betty

12 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Mark, I lived in Oxfordshire for 7 years. That's when I got my Irish citizenship. As an Irish republic dude, I could de anything a Brit could do including vote. I didn't vote, but I did work occasionally. However . . . the times they are a changing. 

That elegant Porto restaurant has a Michelin star. $$$$$

We went there after he got it- just tripped over the place, thought the sign led to a museum. Sure, it's quite dear by Portuguese standards but still not too bad. I hear of a 3-course lunch and glass of wine for €25 or a crazy tasting menu (see my pix) for €58. We had a bit more. So as I said, not everyday, but a treat. You can get something decent in Porto for maybe €5-10. With wine of course.

Your Irish passport will still get you into the UK to stay through the common travel agreement. But at the moment I can't see why you'd want to.

We didn't know about the star, the only one we seek out is Sarran's in Toulouse and even he's good value. Expensive, but good value. €60 with unlimited wine, but it's good stuff, you don't chug it.

Oklahoma City, Greece, coastal villages, and following the stars . . . hmm.

US Southwest weather I've had in Dallas. No thanks. John, would you like to try learning Greece or Portuguese in your senior years? I had considered the Algarve, where I know someone, but without a car, a city is best. And I want some place that is a possible stock subject. I could cover a village as a subject in a few days.

Mark, I've eaten at 4 starry places in Europe, a few times at the one in Oxfordshire, where I lived. Not on a gourmet tour this time, although good food is very important to me. I favor fresh fish and Portugal is a fishing country. 365 ways to cook cod and once in a while a sip of Port sounds good. 

2 hours ago, Cecile Marion said:

You haven’t yet mentioned Italy. Not a possibility?

Love Italy. I lived in Rome in the '60s and speak Italian. It would be my first choice, but it's too expensive now, with political and economic upheavals. And I've not mentioned all the places I've considered. 

Canada? My son lives in Montreal. Love Canada, but getting permanent residency for me would be hard.

France? Again too expensive . . . and I don't speak French. 

You can get an idea of comparison costs by using NUMBEO (John's link is to NUMBEO). The numbers for San Miguel seem low from what I've found while here, but one can get an idea.

I 'm centered on Cost, Climate, Cuisine, and Culture. The possibility for stock subjects is important too. I won't be driving anymore, and I'm not considering traveling around. 

The doings of any move will be complex; I'm not looking forward to any of it. I'm homeless remember and scared.

Archived