Edo in San Miguel de Allende

Heavy monsoon-like rain this morning, my third day here in San Miguel de Allende.

I’m up early, which is my habit, but the town’s inhabitants, at least here in the center, are not morning people. The young folks stay out very late, looking for adventure and other stuff, and most of them look for those things just across the road in some kind of after-hours club. To not hear them in their quest, all I have to do is shut the windows. It’s chilly at night up here in these Mexican mountains, so closing the windows at night is an all-around good idea.

I had breakfast again at a little nearby bakery: three black coffees and two fresh croissants. The bill was 125 pesos — $6.88US. The same thing in NYC would cost me about $20.

Mañana I will shop and get things together for my usual heathy breakfast: oatmeal, fruit, yogurt and black coffee. (My brain does not go into the “on” position without strong coffee.) But that’s for mañana.

As I write this, I don’t know this city, not yet, and I have not been beyond the half dozen blocks that take up the center. So far I think this might be the most photogenic place I’ve ever been, and I’ve been to 66 countries, most for the purpose of taking pictures.

San Miguel is on the edge of being too pretty, too attractive. Twee? Maybe. Getting lovely images will be easy. Getting a useful mix of stock photos might be harder.

Edo

Nice upbeat post Ed, I think you are not someone easily beaten by all those slings and arrows of outrageous fortune. I have never been to Mexico, but your view of San Miguel has awoken my itchy feet.

The bing.com photo from yesterday was of mariachi musicians in San Miguel de Allende. Very cool that you not only landed on your feet, but in a great spot for shooting.

Glad to hear that you made it in one piece, Edo. This is usually a dry time in San Miguel, I believe, so you must have brought some NYC weather with you.

Café Contento across from the Bellas Artes serves up killer oatmeal (some of the best I've ever had) and good coffee, plus it has a peaceful little courtyard with Wi-Fi. Hint: if you decide to go, ask for the "all included" breakfast menu. They tend to hide it from anyone who looks like a new kid on the block. The prices are much cheaper.

Yes, San Miguel can seem almost too pretty at times. It was much grittier (and dustier) when I started visiting in mid-80's. Still love the place, though.

Thanks, people, but I've been more lucky than smart in finding places. It's amazing. 

That's around the corner from me, John. My problem with eating breakfast out is these places don't open early enough. 

I haven't really been out shooting yet. I carry the RX100/3 when I'm going here or there for this or that, and I've got a few captures. 

Over the years, I've been fortunate enough to captured the grand panoramas of Paris, Rio, Hawaii, Hong Kong, Machu Picchu and NYC. When I say San Miguel borders on the twee, I mean that in the very old center of this city, which dates from before 1541, the cobblestones in the road, the sidewalk stones, the colorful walls of the buildings are almost too charming, too pretty.  

I can't go back to the 1980s, when John Mitchell was first here, anymore that I can go back to 1500s. What my Sonys and I see now is an ancient, urban place mixed with chic boutiques, art galleries and little cafes and restaurants. The people here must resent Trump and his nonsense, and maybe all gringos, but they give me no hard looks, no attitude. 

I'm thrilled by it all . . . and I've not yet been on a dedicated photo shoot!

Edo, the homeless, gray-haired nomad 

Mark I fear you've got my number. You'll see a few more tomorrow. B)

And Paulette and all, I'm glad you are encouraging me to post.  I was apprehensive about turning the forum into a platform for my developing memoir. 

26 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

I just happened on this mentioned in an online guide to the town! :D

Artists. Musicians. Writers. San Miguel is overflowing with the arts overall. It has a fantastic local theatre. There are 20,000 books in local biblioteca (about half Spanish, half English). Live music can be found almost any night of the week. You can take a class in oil painting, guitar playing or How to Write Your Memoirs

Any classes on photography?:)

Just joking Edo.

Allan

There always room to learn more, Allan. ;)

Ian, so many people have been dropping so much info on me everyday about SMA, I can't keep up . . . but everyday I'm more and more impressed with this place. 

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

Over the years, I've been fortunate enough to captured the grand panoramas of Paris, Rio, Hawaii, Hong Kong, Machu Picchu and NYC. When I say San Miguel borders on the twee, I mean that in the very old center of this city, which dates from before 1541, the cobblestones in the road, the sidewalk stones, the colorful walls of the buildings are almost too charming, too pretty.  

I can't go back to the 1980s, when John Mitchell was first here, anymore that I can go back to 1500s. What my Sonys and I see now is an ancient, urban place mixed with chic boutiques, art galleries and little cafes and restaurants. The people here must resent Trump and his nonsense, and maybe all gringos, but they give me no hard looks, no attitude. 

I'm thrilled by it all . . . and I've not yet been on a dedicated photo shoot!

Edo, the homeless, gray-haired nomad 

Mexicans are so used to nonsense from their own politicians that even Mr. T's mindless insults probably don't faze them. Actually, I think that many residents of San Miguel are grateful for the good things that the expat community has done for their town, and consequently they tend to turn a blind eye to some of the not-so-good things. I've certainly never felt any resentment there as a wandering camera-toting canadiense with bad Spanish.  

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

Mark I fear you've got my number. You'll see a few more tomorrow. B)

And Paulette and all, I'm glad you are encouraging me to post.  I was apprehensive about turning the forum into a platform for my developing memoir. 

A guy's gotta eat. Bring it on, Ed. I miss your blog.

Oh, no I don't- it's right here!

Careful, or your flat in NYC might become habitable soon.

11 minutes ago, JeffGreenberg said:

One gets the attitude one gives, IMO.

During recent CDMX shoot, I decided, since photos were my priority, not

patriotic debates, to say the following when asked where I was from:

"Me casa es en Estados Unidos y me presidente es loco."

& often got friendly reactions like this...

Wise strategy -- 127.5 million mexicanos can't be wrong. B)

Just a few early thoughts about stock shooting and PP down here in San Miguel:

So far I've found the Sony RX100/3 to be my most useful camera, more useful than either my RX10 or a6000. With the 100/3, I'm just another wandering, snapshot-shooting tourist who misplaced his iPhone and selfie stick. The streets are extra narrow in this town, so 24-70 is all I'll normally need.

The locals do not get upset with having their image captured, none yet anyway. In Hong Kong, an old lady hit me in the head with a rake. The blunt edge, thank heaven. 

Doing my PP on the new MacBook Pro 13" is a joy after slugging along for the past 10 years on my iMac. Would I like to have a larger image to work on? Sure, but I'm a nomad now, and I must adjust. Adjusting is what I do. This little 3-pound marvel is quick as a snake with macOS High Sierra running things. I'm involved with both iCloud and Adobe CC Cloud now, and I understand neither. 

A local Texas woman, who let me into this rental flat and showed me around, is a very good amateur shooter, and I will be helping her get her stuff on Alamy. No, I don't concern myself with the competition -- there's lots of competition out there and there always has been. 

Edo, 

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Just a few early thoughts about stock shooting and PP down here in San Miguel:

So far I've found the Sony RX100/3 to be my most useful camera, more useful than either my RX10 or a6000. With the 100/3, I'm just another wandering, snapshot-shooting tourist who misplaced his iPhone and selfie stick. The streets are extra narrow in this town, so 24-70 is all I'll normally need.

The locals do not get upset with having their image captured, none yet anyway. In Hong Kong, an old lady hit me in the head with a rake. The blunt edge, thank heaven. 

Doing my PP on the new MacBook Pro 13" is a joy after slugging along for the past 10 years on my iMac. Would I like to have a larger image to work on? Sure, but I'm a nomad now, and I must adjust. Adjusting is what I do. This little 3-pound marvel is quick as a snake with macOS High Sierra running things. I'm involved with both iCloud and Adobe CC Cloud now, and I understand neither. 

A local Texas woman, who let me into this rental flat and showed me around, is a very good amateur shooter, and I will be helping her get her stuff on Alamy. No, I don't concern myself with the competition -- there's lots of competition out there and there always has been. 

Edo, 

Yes, there's no point in being concerned about "the competition." Cameras are as common as cobblestones in San Miguel, and for good reason.

On 5/6/2018 at 10:38, geogphotos said:

I just happened on this mentioned in an online guide to the town! :D

Artists. Musicians. Writers. San Miguel is overflowing with the arts overall. It has a fantastic local theatre. There are 20,000 books in local biblioteca (about half Spanish, half English). Live music can be found almost any night of the week. You can take a class in oil painting, guitar playing or How to Write Your Memoirs

Hmm, let's see: I used to paint, I play the guitar, and I've published memoirs -- did my best ones in a weekly spot on BBC Radio Oxford. And I've taught photography. At some point I'll need to learn some Spanish, though. Hola and cerveza will only take me so far.

It's strange not seeing Oklahoma next to your name, Betty.

You're an expert story-teller Edo, both with and without your camera. Fun to tune in and see you are doing so well.

Betty, hope you are adjusting to Kansas.

Sending you both good thoughts.

1 hour ago, Marianne said:

You're an expert story-teller Edo, both with and without your camera. Fun to tune in and see you are doing so well.

Betty, hope you are adjusting to Kansas.

Sending you both good thoughts.

Yes, adjusting well. But I’m living in a renovation mess and will for another few weeks. Thanks!

Betty

I'm enjoying your San Miguel images, Edo. I spy some familiar subjects, including the hand doorknocker, which I've walked by and photographed many times. For some reason I've never uploaded a shot of it to Alamy. You beat me to it! B)

P.S. If you see this guy (or girl) around, say "hola" for me. He/she used to hang out in your neighbourhood.

dog-wearing-a-t-shirt-looking-out-of-a-s

Archived