images have been rejected without being assessed

On 07/05/2018 at 14:10, Dyn Llun said:

Disappointing yes, but, I'm afraid, absolutely typical of amateurs playing at photography. Or as I prefer to regard them, 'pretend professionals'. The one thing they can't take is constructive criticism. What they do and how they work is always right. 

A bit harsh, perhaps. I consider myself to be both an amateur playing at photography and a pretend professional, and I expect there are plenty of others here like me. I think I’m doing OK considering. Only one QC fail shortly after starting, and none in a year now with thousands of photos uploaded.

• Like 2

On 07/05/2018 at 14:10, Dyn Llun said:

Disappointing yes, but, I'm afraid, absolutely typical of amateurs playing at photography. Or as I prefer to regard them, 'pretend professionals'. The one thing they can't take is constructive criticism. What they do and how they work is always right. They give up after a while because they can't up their game to any reasonable standard but in the meantime they are a pain in the posterior. 

We were all there once. None of us was paid from the first frame.

2 hours ago, Niels Quist said:

Professionalism is not about where you start from, but about the way you work to achieve your goals.

I agree with Niels.  Professionalism doesn't mean you are out there daily making a living with your images.  Professionalism is a frame of mind and attitude about what you do and how you put it out there. Most of us here do not make our living with our images, but do have knowledge on our craft, perfect our craft and take pride in our craft.  Professionals do not want to submit sub par work at any stage of the game.

Not checking your images is just being lazy and unprofessional.

Jill

3 hours ago, Sally said:

A bit harsh, perhaps. I consider myself to be both an amateur playing at photography and a pretend professional, and I expect there are plenty of others here like me. I think I’m doing OK considering. Only one QC fail shortly after starting, and none in a year now with thousands of photos uploaded.

Yes but you apply a professional approach to your work, and appreciate the need to do so when serving professional customers. That is what many people don't do. They think that all anyone with a camera has to do is press the button and wait for the cheque.

Alan

Its how QC works all over the world. The whole point of QC is not to hold your hand and check every image that you produce. Its to check a representative sample. If there are faults in one image there may well be faults in others. My largest batch I submitted was 470 images. Do I expect Alamy to check 470 images for sharpness, exposure and dust? If they see one fault, out goes the batch, nothing stupid about it. As I wrote in an earlier post, its the same in science - in a regulated (ie QC controlled) working environment QC check a sample of your data and if they find an incidence of non-compliance out goes the study. 

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

I’m a total newbe to this “Stock” but not photograhy, its a steep learning curve especially as a photographer who enjoys blur/arty work also. However i’m enjoying the challenge. I haven’t asked many questions on here because most of the answers seem to have been covered. I appreciate the support and very welcome advise in these forums. 

Edited by Jay D

• 6 months later...
5 hours ago, lynnfriedman said:

some pretty harsh answers here. let's have some compassion folks.

this is a forum for advice and discussion

Funny... I see only advice and discussion in this thread. Reality can be harsh sometimes. That's the way it is. Compassion won't get you through QC. But solid advice from experienced people who have learned how to apply a professional approach to their photography might do so.

Alan

6 hours ago, lynnfriedman said:

some pretty harsh answers here. let's have some compassion folks.

this is a forum for advice and discussion

You have revived a thread from May. I see you asked a question elsewhere and that is generally the way to go. Reviving old threads is confusing to regular Forum readers. At least it is to me.

Paulette

• Like 1

thank you, everyone, for your professional and for the most part, helpful responses.

It looks like the harsh responses were removed by the administrator.

I merely look to the forum for advice and understand your confusion and annoyance. been there.

My toys have been carefully returned to the pram (US version baby carriage). 

perhaps off topic, but my frustration is that my Alamy rejected images have already been

accepted by other reputable stock agencies.

Please understand, the Alamy system is rather confusing for a newby . 

Edited by lynnfriedman
responding to more comments

1 hour ago, lynnfriedman said:

perhaps off topic, but my frustration is that my Alamy rejected images have already been

accepted by other reputable stock agencies.

Alamy selects only for technical quality, not for content. This ensures that customers can be confident that an image will be usable at any size and they are less likely to cancel sales because a picture that looked to be of high quality turns out to be less so at full resolution.

Alan

On 12/21/2018 at 19:01, lynnfriedman said:

My toys have been carefully returned to the pram (US version baby carriage). 

I wasn't referring to you Lynn(?) I was referring to the OP (original poster) in response to John Walker's comment the there had been no response from them. If you click on their portfolio it seems that their 157 images are no longer available.

10 minutes ago, Russell said:

I wasn't referring to you Lynn(?) I was referring to the OP (original poster)

That's the trouble with reviving old threads. Not a good idea, it's confusing.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

yes but how can you judge noise or grain in a photo & we are not all experts on QC and I'm older but my eyesight has never been so good. Also what may be acceptable on another stock site may fail here and vice versa.

Even if you do separate submissions (within a certain period) they still reject the lot if just 1 photo fails out of those submissions.

Question is how long is that period to wait so you  you can upload the good images without rejection?

At least alamy accepts my old 35mm film scans which no other stock site (so far) has accepted because of the dreaded noise/grain seen at 100%. 

I am only an amateur but qualified in design in the 80's a dozen years before digital cameras became more widespread. This 100% zoom they QC the images at only realy applies to digital photos as it's meaningless for film. 

Edited by dunstun365
more info

3 hours ago, dunstun365 said:

I am only an amateur but qualified in design in the 80's a dozen years before digital cameras became more widespread. This 100% zoom they QC the images at only realy applies to digital photos as it's meaningless for film. 

The only way to properly judge sharpness of a digital image is to view it at 100% on screen where each pixel on the screen corresponds with a pixel in the image. Otherwise you could be looking at  artifacts and it is impossible to judge sharpness. In relation to film, it is not at all meaningless. You could never judge the sharpness of an image on film by looking at a slide or a 6x4" print and see if it was suitable for quality reproduction. I would only ever judge with a loupe or by projecting. 

Edited by MDM
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, dunstun365 said:

This 100% zoom they QC the images at only realy applies to digital photos as it's meaningless for film. 

When I started submitting to Alamy, I spent a lot of time scanning 35 mm slides (Nikon 4000 ED scanner), and I found that as long as a scanned image had a reasonably sharp identifiable point of focus at 100%, then QC didn't have a problem with fuzziness in other parts of the frame. Amazingly, none of my scans ever failed QC. Mind you, I ended up rejecting most of my really old slides for Alamy, even some that had been published in books, magazines and newspapers during film days.

• Thanks 1

I'm fortunate to be coming to stock photography as an absolute beginner.  I think people who know a lot about photography are confident in their method and have trouble adjusting to new criteria.  

When I first began, I spent months reading the forums, tutorials, and terms and conditions. I didn't understand much, but I figure it was good to learn how the system works. The advantage of being a beginner means I don't know the way it is supposed to work so I could focus on adapting my behaviour to make the system happy.  It took a lot of different attempts to understand what I was doing wrong, but I could see that lots of people had no problem with the system, so it must be something I can improve.

On the whole, I like the Alamy method of rejecting the entire batch if one photo is bad.  It makes me more careful to check the photos I submit.

• Like 1