A Spring Update on Ed Rooney's Fire Crisis

My Yankee cap won't do? 

John, I think that restaurant has moved on. For many years, a sideline to my photography and travel writing was doing restaurant reviews. And I have local contacts down there. 

Edo

34 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

My Yankee cap won't do? 

John, I think that restaurant has moved on. For many years, a sideline to my photography and travel writing was doing restaurant reviews. And I have local contacts down there. 

Edo

Have to admit, the cap would be a lot easier to pack. B)

Too bad about the restaurant. They made excellent quesadillas and salads. There was a good bookstore on that corner for many years before the restaurant took over the space. Who knows what's there now.

19 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

You could be one of these guys -- the older ones on the left definitely look like expats -- in a few days.

A favourite restaurant and café of mine on the main square (El Jardin). Hope it's still there.

Michael Reichmann (Luminous Landscape) used to retreat to San Miguel de Allende in winter.

Sadly he's not there anymore either.

wim

I find baseball caps very useful. The peak keeps the sun out of the eyes and the rain off the face. I never carry an umbrella. And I don't eat dinner either. I'm looking forward to some nice lunches at a fraction of the cost of eating out in NYC. Less than buying groceries and cooking in this place, I bet. B)

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

I find baseball caps very useful. The peak keeps the sun out of the eyes and the rain off the face. I never carry an umbrella. And I don't eat dinner either. I'm looking forward to some nice lunches at a fraction of the cost of eating out in NYC. Less than buying groceries and cooking in this place, I bet. B)

San Miguel is a lot more expensive than it used to be, but there are still plenty of good budget eateries to be found on the back streets. Just follow the locals (and your nose).

¡Buen provecho!

21 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Life on Earth is more expensive. I've been do research, and a meal out in SMA runs about 1/4 to half what it costs in NYC. But I will be looking outside the center. :)

So true, I don't know how those Earthlings afford it. B)

A place I like is La Grotta, a cozy little Italian place with good pasta and pizza. It's owned by a Swiss lady who has lived in SMA for decades. The salads are safe too for sensitive gringo stomachs -- i.e. they "disinfect" their raw veggies. Pretty sure La Grotta is still there. Hidden away behind SMA's very cool-looking Gothic church.

steeple-of-the-parroquia-de-san-miguel-a

On 4/30/2018 at 17:37, Ed Rooney said:

Marianne!  Grandma! Is that the young lady who went to NYU? 

If you or anyone wants to keep in touch, I'm at edoruan@gmail.com

My finances have pretty much stabilized, thanks to all the help I've received. :)

It is indeed the young lady who went to NYU, whom you so graciously tried to help find an apartment in your neighborhood. She ended up in Brooklyn but is now out in Columbus, OH working on her Ph.D. in mathematics. You have a fine memory. And I feel so remiss in just replying to you now...that little bell up top when I signed in fortunately sent me here. I've been so busy helping with wedding plans - it's next week - and we're trying to get our house on the market by next month so life has been kinda crazed.

Hope you have a wonderful time in San Miguel and I will stay in touch.

Archived