A Spring Update on Ed Rooney's Fire Crisis

Yes, it's me again, Edo.

I'll begin with the bad news and move on to the more interesting and hopeful things.

There is still no word as to when my building and apartment on Mulberry Street will have the Vacate Order lifted. 

I will be going to San Miguel de Allende, Mexico after all. I'll fly on May 2nd. An old friend from my Rome days has been living there for the past 15 years, and she has a lovely apartment that she rents out. It's in the center of this small city. She is letting me have the place for May and June. So once more I have been unexpectedly saved. 

The business of getting my passport renewed has been an expensive nightmare. Shocking. I've bought the MacBook Pro 13". Forum donations helped make that possible. I have this machine up and running, and hopefully I will adjust to it. I'll let you all know how things are going South of the Border as soon as I settle in.

I've been an expat twice. I'm older and I'm a little scared now, but I shall press forward. Espero. 

Thank you all again for your support, kindness and generosity. And a special thanks to Ian. 

Edo

Good luck, Edo. This sounds like a fine adventure and a wonderful chance to settle into Mexico for a couple of months. I don’t have a lot of pics from my 2016 trip to Mexico, but the ones I do have are always coming up in searches. I’m envious of your upcoming photo opportunities and wish you all the best! 

San Miguel is a very civilized and welcoming place. You shouldn't have any problems meeting people. Lots of good Italian food as well, not to mention photo ops. There is now even a Starbucks, although I'd recommend one of the locally owned coffee hangouts instead. Keep us posted.

¡Buen viaje!

spanish-policeman-in-traditiona-costume-

Bad news, and GREAT news. Hope you enjoy your holiday and get lots and lots of very saleable photos.

Best wishes Allan

San Miguel is wonderful. You probably know that it has long been a place to study and produce art. And, of course, wonderful for photography. Colors, colors, colors. And nice people. Lots of Americans and the Mexicans are used to dealing with people who have little or no Spanish. Maybe you speak it. Italian is so similar that you will be picking it up easily anyway.

Paulette

2 hours ago, NYCat said:

Lots of Americans and the Mexicans are used to dealing with people who have little or no Spanish. Maybe you speak it. Italian is so similar that you will be picking it up easily anyway.

Paulette

Doesn't every New Yorker speak at least few words of Spanish just from riding the subway?

"no se apoye contra la puerta"

In my travel marketing foto days, I've traveled through Central and South America several times. That was for PanAm, American Express, AA, and other carriers. I spoke what I called Itlo-Spainole, a mix of Italian, Spanish and English. I can get fed, get a beer, ask directions, and thank people.

I'm really getting into this, forum folk! If things work out, remember it's because of you. I haven't made any of the good things happen. I've just been lucky that others have. 

:)

I was just worrying about your situation yesterday, with the knowledge April was nearly done. So happy you can have a new nest for awhile. 

Youll do fine, although I understand that the whole thing is a bit scary. It would be for me, too. Two weeks from now, I expect you’ll be settled in and hopefully, comfortable.

18 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I was just worrying about your situation yesterday, with the knowledge April was nearly done. So happy you can have a new nest for awhile. 

Youll do fine, although I understand that the whole thing is a bit scary. It would be for me, too. Two weeks from now, I expect you’ll be settled in and hopefully, comfortable.

Two weeks from now and Edo will be a native.

Allan

I'm sorry, Allan, I can't understand you. I'm thinking in Spanish.

I lived in Spain briefly, but in Ibiza and Mallorca. They speak Catalan. It sounds like Italian, except I didn't understand a word . . . except bon dia.

:)

Years ago I wanted to brush up my Spanish before a trip to San Miguel and there was a Spanish film festival at Lincoln Center. Unfortunately, the film I chose to see was in Catalan. ^_^:wacko:  Not helpful.

Paulette

Get the Lonely Planet phrase book for Latin American Spanish, and you can find phone apps that will do translations for you.   Google Translate gets you in the ballpark.  (Been living in Nicaragua for the last seven plus years and the mess over the last two weeks).

Don't worry, folks -- I've got the 4 key words down pat: hola, gracias, donde, cerveza. Look, I can ever make an upside down question mark.  ¿

Seriously, I'm going to San Miguel de Allende, not northern Cambodia. Lots of the local Mexicans will speak English, and I assume some of the expats will too. :)

What will you be doing with the stuff you don’t take with you, Ed? Storage? As a woman, we tend to take way too much stuff just for a week’s vacation. I always come back with half of my clothes unworn.  I shudder to think what I’d feel was necessary for 2 months. I’d need to reserve a whole plane. :lol:

Betty

4 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Don't worry, folks -- I've got the 4 key words down pat: hola, gracias, donde, cerveza. Look, I can ever make an upside down question mark.  ¿

Seriously, I'm going to San Miguel de Allende, not northern Cambodia. Lots of the local Mexicans will speak English, and I assume some of the expats will too. :)

Plenty of locals hablan inglés. Not sure about the expats, though. Don't forget to stand on your head when asking questions in Spanish. B)

Edo, so sorry for your losses.

Having suffered the trauma of being in a fire when I was 9 months pregnant, I have to say that when we were finally back in our apartment 4 1/2 months later, it was so very heart-warming every time a neighbor dropped by, particularly those I hardly knew, with a small gift for the new baby (who is now expecting herself - I'm about to be a grandma in September B)). With all the evil in the world, it’s good to know that most people really do care about their neighbors, whether they are next door or across the pond.

I hope my small gift to you helps. Sorry to be so late went to PayPal and could not find your email - and now I can't seem to find the other thread again. Kindly post your email here so I can buy you a couple of cervezas or some nice vino and a meal. And truly wish you all the best - it's a harrowing experience. 

I'm relying on Google translate here: ¡Ten un buen viaje!

5 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Any problem with the language just say "un momento, por favor", and ask for to write down the question, post here and I will translate it :). Buen viaje and take care with the Tekila and Mezcal...

4 hours ago, Marianne said:

Edo, so sorry for your losses.

Having suffered the trauma of being in a fire when I was 9 months pregnant, I have to say that when we were finally back in our apartment 4 1/2 months later, it was so very heart-warming every time a neighbor dropped by, particularly those I hardly knew, with a small gift for the new baby (who is now expecting herself - I'm about to be a grandma in September B)). With all the evil in the world, it’s good to know that most people really do care about their neighbors, whether they are next door or across the pond.

I hope my small gift to you helps. Sorry to be so late went to PayPal and could not find your email - and now I can't seem to find the other thread again. Kindly post your email here so I can buy you a couple of cervezas or some nice vino and a meal. And truly wish you all the best - it's a harrowing experience. 

I'm relying on Google translate here: ¡Ten un buen viaje!

Marianne!  Grandma! Is that the young lady who went to NYU? 

If you or anyone wants to keep in touch, I'm at edoruan@gmail.com

My finances have pretty much stabilized, thanks to all the help I've received. :)

Archived