Best 35mm scanner for the money is the CanaScan FS4000 USB.  Just make sure you get the negative carrier and 

do not use the USB connection.  I've been using an ADAPTEC 16bit PCMCISA card, you also need and old computer

with a PCMCIA slot, I use an old LENOVO Laptop, T62 running 32bit Windows XP Pro, I clean slides or negs with

PEC-12 and scan an store then move it to my main desktop, that does not have a PCMCIA slot. I get an original

at 5240 X in 16bit aRGB.

Most of the images I have up on Alamy were 35mm scans on the 4000. Many K-14 (Kodachromes) and FUJI 50

and RDP and a few 35mm Negs.

P.S. Canon will still try to give tech support on their scanners, but there is not new software updates

The FS4000 uses an extra pass for IR cleaning.

Vuescan works perfectly with the FS4000.

I have used one until I had to produce substantially more scans every day: the Nikon takes about 20-30 seconds and allows for batch scanning.

The LS-5000 is better: 1 pass for visible and IR; wider dynamic range.

Sharpness is about the same or better, but focusing and even focus is more difficult with the Nikon.

Remember this is a technology from the 1980-ies. The LS-5000 was the last one and top of the line in 2003 when it was introduced and when I bought it.

wim

When digital imaging first became a practical proposition I spent a while attempting to scan b&w negatives including with state of the art scanners. My conclusion was that it wasn't really possible.  The best way was to make a softish photographic print and scan that on a flat bed scanner. Film scanners do reversal film well but not silver based negatives.

On ‎27‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 17:37, fotoDogue said:

I have a Nikon LS 5000ED that I picked for about $1000 US just before Nikon discontinued them. They're available on Amazon and eBay at various prices up to $2500 or so. At 4000 ppi it will give you approximately a 55mb 8 bit tiff.

If you decide to buy one used, you should ask about the last time it's been cleaned and maybe ask for a sample scan. Last time I checked Nikon charged $250 for cleaning, plus shipping and insurance - Or you can find cleaning instructions on the internet. I cover mine with a plastic bag and clean it every two years or so. 

I'm currently using VueScan on a Mac. I find it less than ideal but it does what I need it to do. Then I just clean it up in PhotoShop CS6.

I had my 4000 cleaned at Nikon in Ham (for UK users). Cost was about £130 and worth every penny.

I have been using the Epson V850 Pro flatbed image scanner to scan a cabinet full of 6x6cm transparencies. Using the Silverfast Ai Studio 8 scanner software I make DNG raw image files with a high dynamic range. This is helpful with recovering shadow detail while retaining highlights. 

Epson Perfection V850 Pro Photo Scanner

SilverFast Ai Studio 8 Scanner Software

This is not the cheapest option but worth the money IMHO.

Hope this helps,

David

Archived