2 hours ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

Are you saying that only images that sell above a certain price improve your rank?, if so that’s, well I don’t know what to say about that!

I doubt it.  No-one mentioned a cut-off. It makes sense that a $400 sale should count more than a $5 sale.  But it's still a sale, and will do nothing but help rank.

9 hours ago, gvallee said:

I just added all distributor sales from inception. $12,000 gross. I have no plan to withdraw from the scheme any time soon.

Gen

Wonder how many of the "outs" are "in" after reading this thread ???

6 minutes ago, Shergar said:

Wonder how many of the "outs" are "in" after reading this thread ???

Not me!

Factor in the time taking, editing, uploading, keywording, then finding unreported sales, chasing unreported sales, plus the equipment/travel costs, and the resulting hourly rate is so far below minimum wage, it's not only not worth shooting them, it's not even worth chasing them!

29 minutes ago, York Photographer said:

Not me!

Factor in the time taking, editing, uploading, keywording, then finding unreported sales, chasing unreported sales, plus the equipment/travel costs, and the resulting hourly rate is so far below minimum wage, it's not only not worth shooting them, it's not even worth chasing them!

The same images may sell direct or distro. The work's the same.

8 hours ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

Are you saying that only images that sell above a certain price improve your rank?, if so that’s, well I don’t know what to say about that!

No, I never said that. In the past, Novel Use scheme was excluded from ranking because sales were for pennies and it would have skewed ranking. So sale price was a definite factor. These days I don't know. Alamy wouldn't say.

Gen

3 hours ago, spacecadet said:

The same images may sell direct or distro. The work's the same.

Exactly. The images were already uploaded for direct sales. As Alamy says, it's additional revenue. In my case, it's $12k in my pocket I wouldn't have had on top of direct sales.

Gen

Newspaper sale ( I assume) came in today at far less (Nett) than any of my distributor sales this month.  If I was opting out of anything it would be that, however, they provide a steady dribble of sales, some are not quite as bad, and they all probably improve my ranking.

51 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Newspaper sale ( I assume) came in today at far less (Nett) than any of my distributor sales this month.  If I was opting out of anything it would be that, however, they provide a steady dribble of sales, some are not quite as bad, and they all probably improve my ranking.

Same experience here. Had a UK newspaper sale today for less than most distributor sales.

Gen

34 minutes ago, gvallee said:

Same experience here. Had a UK newspaper sale today for less than most distributor sales.

Gen

I'm out of that as well!

I'd really rather that they were not used, than get poorly reported, single digit sales, that get nicked and reused elsewhere.

Too much time and effort, to compete in the race to the bottom. 

Just now, York Photographer said:

I'm out of that as well!

I'd really rather that they were not used, than get poorly reported, single digit sales, that get nicked and reused elsewhere.

Too much time and effort, to compete in the race to the bottom. 

I was in the newspaper scheme, then I pulled out. After several years, seeing the prices slump, I thought I might as well be in it again. I was getting some regular sales for prices equally as low. Then there is PU... 

I hear what you're saying, it's a matter of choice.

Gen

On 27/04/2018 at 10:38, gvallee said:

Then there is PU... 

I hear what you're saying, it's a matter of choice.

Gen

I am in both distributor and newspaper schemes BUT "Out" of PU.

If I wish to sell images for personal use I will sell them myself and get more per item.Even if it means printing them myself.

Allan

2 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

I am in both distributor and newspaper schemes BUT "Out" of PU.

Out of curiosity, do you get any Presentation sales?

Gen

On 27/04/2018 at 09:26, LawrensonPhoto said:

All sales must improve your ranking otherwise what would be the point of having a ranking system?

Gen is quite right in what she said about sales value being a factor in ranking.  Getting too many low fees was detrimental if you didn't have lots of really high ones to balance it all out.  I was told personally by one of the Alamy staff that average sale price was a factor in ranking.  Better to have a few high value sales than lots of tiny ones.

However I don't know if this still applies or if we even still have ranking.  So much has changed over the last 18 months or so.

I am in the distributor scheme but not for all countries.  I have pulled out of a few more low paying ones this month.

Pearl

6 hours ago, gvallee said:

Out of curiosity, do you get any Presentation sales?

Gen

One presentation in January this year. (Presentation or Newsletters $ 12.99).

It is the sort of image which could be used on someones wall too.

I did have a couple of PU sales one day in 2016 of the same village which were both suitable for a wall or for scenic postcards.

As they were of the same place I guessed they were going to be used commercially and that is about the time I blocked PU.

Allan

7 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

One presentation in January this year. (Presentation or Newsletters $ 12.99).

It is the sort of image which could be used on someones wall too.

I did have a couple of PU sales one day in 2016 of the same village which were both suitable for a wall or for scenic postcards.

As they were of the same place I guessed they were going to be used commercially and that is about the time I blocked PU.

Allan

OK thank you.

So far, I had 29 PU sales (probably 99% dubious) and 10 Presentation/Newsletter.

Would I still have made a sale if I had blocked PU? There's no way to know.

Gen

Archived