Plant Identification

Sally

35 minutes ago, John Richmond said:

Ricinus communis, castor oil plant.  Origin of the poison Ricin.  Don't eat the seeds :ph34r:

I knew someone here (and most likely John) would be able to help. Thank you :)

• 3 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, Sally said:

Are these petunias?  If so, does anyone know the variety?  I haven't been able to find them.

close-up-of-sunlit-pink-white-and-purple

It's a Viola, Sally - but I can't tell you which one other than it's likely to be one of the seed strains grown as annuals.

Just now, John Richmond said:

It's a Viola, Sally - but I can't tell you which one other than it's likely to be one of the seed strains grown as annuals.

Thanks - just goes to show the limited knowledge I have of plants! :)

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Sally said:

A pretty pink rhododendron, but is there any way to identify it further? In a formal garden part of an old estate, now campus of Heriot Watt university.

heriot-watt-university-campus-edinburgh-

The best I can do is to say it's probably an old hardy hybrid variety. Hundreds of different ones were bred in the 19th and early 20th Century and it's very difficult to ID most of them without the original labels.

12 minutes ago, John Richmond said:

The best I can do is to say it's probably an old hardy hybrid variety. Hundreds of different ones were bred in the 19th and early 20th Century and it's very difficult to ID most of them without the original labels.

I thought that might be the case. I searched for a label to no avail. Thanks anyway.

Sorry to butt in but am wondering if anyone can identify this tree/shrub growing on field margins. I have tried the interweb and books on trees but to no avail. I cannot identify it from what I see anywhere.

deep-pink-blossom-MNC39B.jpg

Thanks in anticipation.

Allan

31 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Sorry to butt in but am wondering if anyone can identify this tree/shrub growing on field margins. I have tried the interweb and books on trees but to no avail. I cannot identify it from what I see anywhere.

deep-pink-blossom-MNC39B.jpg

Thanks in anticipation.

Allan

It's the scarlet double hawthorn, Crataegus laevigata 'Paul's Scarlet'

23 minutes ago, Richard Laidler said:

I'm reliably informed that this is a Clematis Montana, but the exact variety escapes me. I think it's Elizabeth, but can anybody confirm that or correct me please?

flowering-clematis-montana-closeup-MNR30

Yes, 'Elizabeth'.  It looks quite dark on my (calibrated) monitor.

9 minutes ago, John Richmond said:

Yes, 'Elizabeth'.  It looks quite dark on my (calibrated) monitor.

Thanks John - your knowledge is encyclopedic. Perhaps Alamy will consider hosting an on-line version of Gardeners Question Time with you on the panel? :)

3 hours ago, John Richmond said:

It's the scarlet double hawthorn, Crataegus laevigata 'Paul's Scarlet'

Thank you very much John.

Allan

3 hours ago, Richard Laidler said:

I'm reliably informed that this is a Clematis Montana, but the exact variety escapes me. I think it's Elizabeth, but can anybody confirm that or correct me please?

flowering-clematis-montana-closeup-MNR30

Your image is very dark on my calibrated monitor too Richard. It also seems to be lacking colour and contrast but maybe brightening it up will be enough?

Lacking punch I believe it is called.

Allan

Thanks Alan and John and apologies for not responding before now.  Yes it is a bit too dark, don't know how I missed that when putting it in the upload batch but there we are. CR tell me they will delete this on request when its replacement has gone through QC.

Archived