1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

Surely images are as findable as they're ever going to be the day after they are tagged.

I'm refering to the time it takes between searching / finding an image and the ultimate reporting a sale (and then the extra time it takes for a payment to be recieved by Alamy, and a payment out to the contribiutor) ...in the case of some types of project, the whole process of image procurement goes through a whole myriad of decision making layers at the client....that's where the 'delay' occurs

8 hours ago, RedSnapper said:

I'm refering to the time it takes between searching / finding an image and the ultimate reporting a sale (and then the extra time it takes for a payment to be recieved by Alamy, and a payment out to the contribiutor) ...in the case of some types of project, the whole process of image procurement goes through a whole myriad of decision making layers at the client....that's where the 'delay' occurs

Exactly, my image licensed yesterday was a Mardi Gras themed studio shot that was zoomed back in February. So a 60-day lag time. 

I had a photo zoomed in May 2017. It was published in a 99 page Australian guidebook in October - both in hardcopy and in a 3 month, online pdf version - but wasn’t reported until this past January. Payment has yet to clear. 

You have very nice pictures, but very few if any model releases, which is going to narrow the number of places your photos can be used. You'll have to get some releases or  make your photos of the markets a little less generic. Like shooting fruits and vegetables. Identify what they are, English and Latin names if possible. Make your scenic shots about something, not just long sweeping beaches. (millions of those out there.) I didn't look at your key wording, but that can play a huge factor in finding your photos.

Photography for sale is lot more than pretty pictures today. And while it may seem like a lot of extra work, you must do all those things and maybe more to get noticed. You have a good eye, now don't short change yourself by not following through.

Best of luck.

Larry

9 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

Same for me for April - zilch, nada, nothing etc.  Pissed off!!!

Same here, ..nothing !    Views 'n' zooms aren't great either. Even past sales aren't clearing, so may not even get a payout on the 1st of May.

Maybe there's a delay in the post :wacko:

On 4/18/2018 at 14:27, Ed Rooney said:

The problem with many new contributors is that they submit a few hundred images, maybe even a few thousand, then they wait to see if those sell before submitting more. That's a path to failure here at Alamy. This is a long game.  

Edo

My results are different. I haven’t added any new Stock photos in a few years. My last photo is an H uploaded in September, 2016. I’ve switched to iPhone only since then. Yet my old stock photos sell regularly and consistently.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it’s fair to add that I have already had 2 sales so far this month, and decent amounts this time which gives me hope and encoutagement uploading more work. Ironically all sales I have made here over the years are all available on microstock. Having said that I am always uploading exclusive, editorial images here. 

9 minutes ago, Marb said:

I think it’s fair to add that I have already had 2 sales so far this month, and decent amounts this time which gives me hope and encoutagement uploading more work. Ironically all sales I have made here over the years are all available on microstock. Having said that I am always uploading exclusive, editorial images here. 

Wish I could say the same! 17 sales this year for a net $115

Kevin

On 19/04/2018 at 01:40, Hellonearth said:

Yes I have been trying to do this as well in between uploading new images. Although I am not sure what more details I can add to captions, I am also conscious of not spamming the keywords.

I do take the point mentioned by several people here that it takes time for images to percolate through the system.

Perhaps I need to be a little more patient. I am starting to see sales but the main disappointment is in fact the value associated with those sales. Last year I had no sales in the first 3 months whereas this year I had 9 followed by 7 so far this month,

Kevin

You're not alone, it's depressing at times and you begin to doubt your abilities, but when you least expect it something good will happen. (Like my 4 figure sale last year.) I think some people do well either through having an insight to what sells or the location they're based which gives them good portfolio content. There are also those you are very good photographers and have comprehensive subject matter. Some who specialize can also command high price points. But sometimes you just have to accept that Alamy will never pay the mortgage. I fall into that category. I got up at 4.30 this morning to shoot some news images. I'm not likely to sell any though, I rarely do. But do you know what, I like the challenge. :)

1 hour ago, Sultanpepa said:

I got up at 4.30 this morning to shoot some news images. I'm not likely to sell any though,

The world's 5th largest cruise liner....?

Could sell....is there a particular story hook?  First vist ever? first vist of the year? Biggest ever to visit to Scotland?

km

47 minutes ago, RedSnapper said:

The world's 5th largest cruise liner....?

Could sell....is there a particular story hook?  First vist ever? first vist of the year? Biggest ever to visit to Scotland?

km

It's the biggest passenger cruise ship to visit the Clyde apparently. 

18 minutes ago, Sultanpepa said:

It's the biggest passenger cruise ship to visit the Clyde apparently. 

Was that in your original caption?  I think you've done a bit of editing!

Picture stories need a hook to have a better chance of selling

km

5 minutes ago, RedSnapper said:

Was that in your original caption?  I think you've done a bit of editing!

Picture stories need a hook to have a better chance of selling

km

I listen carefully to those who know better? ;) Yes edited, but probably way too late.  In my defence I didn't know it was the largest. I thought that honour fell to the RMS Queen Elizabeth, but no.

When doing news stuff, it's always good to have in mind some reason for the papers to want to run it...

• first
  • only
  • biggest
  • smallest (book / house / cinema / car....)
  • hottest (day / chili / sauna...)
  • wettest (day )
  • coldest
  • oldest (man / tree / woman / book / )
  • strangest
  • last (mission / journey / day )
  • longest
  • shortest
  • windiest
  • etc.etc.etc.etc.etc.etc.etc.etc.etc.etc.etc.

And do your research *before* shooting

km

1 hour ago, RedSnapper said:

When doing news stuff, it's always good to have in mind some reason for the papers to want to run it...

• first
  • only
  • biggest
  • wettest (day )
  • coldest
  • strangest
  • longest
  • shortest
  • windiest

km

I guess I was thinking editors would be looking for pics to fit their stories rather than them looking at pics to find stories. I see the error in that thinking now. Cheers

3 hours ago, RedSnapper said:

• first
  • only
  • biggest
  • wettest (day )
  • coldest
  • strangest
  • longest
  • shortest
  • windiest

km

It must also depend on the variety of news on any particular day.  Ive just been uploading some photos of flat horse racing. But there is so much news today, I doubt it will be of any interest.  The Badminton horse trials, tennis championships, election results fallout, bank holiday weekend, cricket championship, table tennis competition, Tour de Yorkshire, sunny UK weather etc etc

There is a lot of stuff happening out there....

2 hours ago, Sultanpepa said:

I guess I was thinking editors would be looking for pics to fit their stories rather than them looking at pics to find stories. I see the error in that thinking now. Cheers

It's not either / or....

it's both.....but you have a better chance of getting a 'free standing' pic use if there is a story attached to it

km

On 18/04/2018 at 22:00, RedSnapper said:

Basically, as with me, the older images play an important role. Since you  started in 2012 you won't have any of the A-C images anyway?

k

Some decent sales at the beginning of the month and two are C & D.... in fact, looking back over the last couple of months or so and I was surprised at how many were D.... a lot!

15 hours ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

Don't be disappointed if you don't see it appear straight away, I submitted a story that nobody else had pictures of and thought it hadn't been used, 6 weeks after it appeared in The Times (online and print), its been used 1/2 dozen times since as well in a load of other papers and the bbc website. :)

Having put a lot of effort into 'Beast from the East' (UK) images I'd only had a couple reported as sold until the last day of April when another half dozen dropped in. As you say, be patient, but just as importantly get those images taken, uploaded and captioned strongly and they'll work for you one way or the other

2 hours ago, funkyworm said:

This is why it is important to cover your backside and hedge your bets as much as possible. ('scuse the pun.) Then if the news doesn;t sell, well maybe a few GV's may as stock, or images concerning vetenarians, or some abstracts of this on a POD, or, or, or... The more possibilities the less risk. And sometimes staying at home and doing other work is the best choice.

BTW it may help your chances of sales of sports subjects if you have the names of the riders and horses in the caption.

Yes, I know it would be better to have riders and horses names; I wasn’t able to get a programme since I didn’t go into the stadium itself. The beauty of Musselburgh racecourse is that it is on council land so you can just walk across it, even during races. Next time I might have to try and beg a programme from one of the grounds people.

scrub that, have just found you can get all the information you need from betting websites. Thanks for the tip.

Archived