Sign in to follow this  
Ed Rooney

Black Mushrooms on a Pizza?

As a sideline to my photograph, I've been a food writer and a restaurant reviewer. At no time have I ever seen truly black mushrooms in any of the 66 countries I've visited, until yesterday, that is, when this little pizzeria put these on my Margarita. They were not cooked black -- they are truly jet black.

Anyone know what they are???

MCC82P.jpg

Sounds right, Gareth, but I don't think so. The black trumpets are slimmer and more delicate. The ones on my pizza are chunky and cut from a larger mushroom. 

I'm leaning towards baby portobellos (crimini), which I'm told can be black, although I've never seen black ones. Shiitake is another possibility.

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

Sounds right, Gareth, but I don't think so. The black trumpets are slimmer and more delicate. The ones on my pizza are chunky and cut from a larger mushroom. 

I'm leaning towards baby portobellos (crimini), which I'm told can be black, although I've never seen black ones. Shiitake is another possibility.

Why don't you ask the little pizzeria?

Allan

Posted (edited)

I did, Allan. He told me they were portobello mushrooms. The trouble is the guy's tone was get-through-the-moment. I didn't believe him for two reasons: the cost, and the fact that they are not a logical choice for a pizza topping. My third reason, as stated: I have never seen a black mushroom in person before. Have you? 

Edo

Edited by Ed Rooney

The Death Cap? Don't think so. I'm feeling fine. 

I think it is possible that they are crimini, not that expensive, I buy every week at the grocery....but maybe they were marinated first, giving them a darker color.

Crimini si.  Or shiitake. Marinated from brown to jet black? No. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

I did, Allan. He told me they were portobello mushrooms. The trouble is the guy's tone was get-through-the-moment. I didn't believe him for two reasons: the cost, and the fact that they are not a logical choice for a pizza topping. My third reason, as stated: I have never seen a black mushroom in person before. Have you? 

Edo

No Edo I have never seem a black mushroom but I will be going food shopping on Tuesday next week and will have a look.

Allan

I may have found it in my book on mushrooms it is possibly the "Black Helvella" (Helvella lacunosa).

"Edible but not generally worth considering."  It says in the blurb.

ITMA

Edited by Allan Bell

It reminds me of huitlacoche (a.k.a. corn mushroom or corn smut), which can look and sound a bit disgusting but is actually very tasty. I've had it on pizza and in omelettes in Mexico.