Taking shots of a BBC film production.

Moving on is the right approach to take. If you stop and ponder over every image you upload to ALAMY.

your life will stand still and you could miss the next potential news picture.

In the past i have submitted pictures to live news and had a few sales, many that did not sell for news

have sold later on for other uses.

You need to be patient and polite when people give you advice in this forum.

Craig 

20 minutes ago, Craig Yates said:

Moving on is the right approach to take. If you stop and ponder over every image you upload to ALAMY.

your life will stand still and you could miss the next potential news picture.

In the past i have submitted pictures to live news and had a few sales, many that did not sell for news

have sold later on for other uses.

You need to be patient and polite when people give you advice in this forum.

Craig 

I am polite but sometimes there is no need for folk to be curt with comments. Although not action shots not every context will require action.

6 minutes ago, Marb said:

I am polite but sometimes there is no need for folk to be curt with comments. Although not action shots not every context will require action.

I've been uploading Live News images for around a year, and in that time I've learnt much about what images editors might use, in part from my own failings. You have to be extremely thick skinned, in particular if you've put in a lot of work into the shoot or suffered greatly from anything the weather has thrown at you only to see that someone else has managed to get more ducks in line than you did. Next time I'll try to be that person.

26 minutes ago, Avpics said:

I've been uploading Live News images for around a year, and in that time I've learnt much about what images editors might use, in part from my own failings. You have to be extremely thick skinned, in particular if you've put in a lot of work into the shoot or suffered greatly from anything the weather has thrown at you only to see that someone else has managed to get more ducks in line than you did. Next time I'll try to be that person.

I have some action I can take from video stills but the files size for a JPEG is too low for Alamy. I have made it a TIFF but Alamy won't proceed uploading with a TIFF.

Coincidentally, I see that the road right around the corner from our house is to be blocked off for filming later this month for a number of days. There's a council permit reference although so far, I haven't found it anywhere online to see which production company has applied.

I'll be asking around the neighbours instead!

8 minutes ago, Marb said:

I have some action I can take from video stills but the files size for a JPEG is too low for Alamy. I have made it a TIFF but Alamy won't proceed uploading with a TIFF.

I'd suggest that ship has sailed, and perhaps concentrate on what might be worth uploading as stock. If the news has already been reported then it's probably not worth spending any more time on that.

1 hour ago, RedSnapper said:

Two things you need to do news

a nose for a story

a thick skin

Absolutely. In a past life I dealt with quite a few press photographers. Every single one had rhino hide in place of skin.

Alan

1 hour ago, Avpics said:

I'd suggest that ship has sailed, and perhaps concentrate on what might be worth uploading as stock. If the news has already been reported then it's probably not worth spending any more time on that.

yes indeed

move on, shoot another story for another day.

dead horse / flogging / no point

km

Alamy hasn't accepted TIFFs for years. It would have to convert them for display and distribution, and when it's so easy to export a jpeg, why would they bother?

Anyway, it's the document size that's relevant, not the compressed size. You could try upsizing the TIFF on export but if you're talking about the same story, Alamy won't accept it as news if it's more than 48 hours old.

18 hours ago, RedSnapper said:

Move on.....

shoot another story

^^^^^ This.

I shot the funeral of Liam Miller in Feb, made one sale immediately, great, and just moved on.  At the end of last month the sales from the funeral dropped in, equalling nearly $600!  On the flip side of this, lots of my new images don't sell but I don't dwell on it or get depressed, I just kick myself in the head and tell myself to do better next time!

The important thing here is to just accept no sales have been made, forget it and go hunting for the next story.  :)

17 hours ago, Marb said:

15 hours ago, Marb said:

Absolutley not. Still more images to sell. And again, why don’t Alamy accept Tiff files ? No way I can get an image bigger from a small Jpeg. 

Converting a JPEG to a TIFF for submission would be completely pointless as it would only affect the file size on disk, not the pixel dimensions (uncompressed file size) which is what is important.

edit- just noticed spacecadet said the same thing

46 minutes ago, MDM said:

Converting a JPEG to a TIFF for submission would be completely pointless as it would only affect the file size on disk, not the pixel dimensions (uncompressed file size) which is what is important.

edit- just noticed spacecadet said the same thing

But Alamy won't take a file under a certain Mb size so it is important. Again, the program will be aired in a few months, which will have publicity etc. Then if it's successful (and something as big as War Of The Worlds more than likely will be) there will be interest from fans etc so there will always be demand for behind the scenes images, even if they are not breaking news which is why I am persisting uploading more despite attempts to dissuade me.

39 minutes ago, Marb said:

But Alamy won't take a file under a certain Mb size so it is important.

You are misunderstanding the most fundamental thing about image size and making a most basic error here. It is the pixel dimensions (uncompressed file size in Alamy terminology) that is the important thing not the file size on disk and pixel dimensions do not change when you convert a JPEG to a TIFF only the file size on disk. The pixel dimensions (uncompressed file size) need to be a minimum of 17MB. 

EDIT - this is simple to demonstrate in Photoshop. Take a JPEG, open the Image Size dialog, note the pixel dimensions. Then convert to TIFF, do the same thing and note there is no difference. There will be a difference in the file size on disk as the TIFF will be larger but that is irrelevant here.

6 minutes ago, MDM said:

You are misunderstanding the most fundamental thing about image size and making a most basic error here. It is the pixel dimensions (uncompressed file size in Alamy terminology) that is the important thing not the file size on disk and pixel dimensions do not change when you convert a JPEG to a TIFF only the file size on disk. The pixel dimensions (uncompressed file size) need to be a minimum of 17MB. 

EDIT - this is simple to demonstrate in Photoshop. Take a JPEG, open the Image Size dialog, note the pixel dimensions. Then convert to TIFF, do the same thing and note there is no difference. There will be a difference in the file size on disk as the TIFF will be larger but that is irrelevant here.

It's not a misunderstanding. When I tried to upload the Jpeg image it said " This image is too small. it needs to be at least a 5MB file when uncompressed" In other words - File size.

13 minutes ago, MDM said:

Absolutely correct 

7 minutes ago, Marb said:

It's not a misunderstanding. When I tried to upload the Jpeg image it said " This image is too small. it needs to be at least a 5MB file when uncompressed" In other words - File size.

I also believe you may be misunderstanding. 

http://www.alamy.com/contributor/how-to-sell-images/guidelines-for-submitting-images/?section=3

• File size of over 17MB (when uncompressed/open)
    Your JPEG file is likely to have a compressed size of 3-5MB. Opening a JPEG in an image program such as Adobe Photoshop will show you the uncompressed/open file size.

You can also say that 6 MPix is the smallest imagesize accepted. 

Again, why does Alamy state " This image is too small. it needs to be at least a 5MB file when uncompressed" ?

This image is too small.
It needs to be at least a 5MB file when uncompressed.

30 minutes ago, Marb said:

Deja vu or what - the Lightroom catalog thing I mean. If I cared about this I would be tearing my hair out by now but what is the point. You are making a most fundamental beginner's error which is all the more surprising given how many images you have on Alamy.  I give up. 

15 minutes ago, Marb said:

I would upload a screenshot of the file size shown on the upload page if this forum allowed it as proof if you don't believe me.

No need, Marb, just the size in pixels will do. Like 3048x2024px, or whatever size it is.

wim

21 minutes ago, RedSnapper said:

5mb uncompressed is a TINY jpg.....  equal to 1650 x 1100 pixels

the Alamy stock mimum size is 17mb uncompressed....equal to 3000x2000 pixels

you are misundertanding something, somewhere

km

So how come most of my alamy uploads in my port here average around 10MB ?

32 minutes ago, Marb said:

So how come most of my alamy uploads in my port here average around 10MB ?

Because compressed file size (in MB)  is not the same thing as document, or image, size (in MP).

For example, one of your WOTW images, MBBC4T, is 3945x2787px. That's about 11MP. Multiply by 3, because there's one byte for each colour, and you get 33MB. Note the emphasis. (It's actually a bit under 33 for arithmetical reasons- that's why it says 31.5MB). When compressed for upload, because JPEG is a compressed format, it's 10MB in your case, but it varies.

Your HD video frame grabs are no doubt much smaller because HD is only 1920x1080px, or about 2 MP, which is under the minimum for stock. I don't think there's a minimum for news.

Archived