Going to Malaga - what to shoot?

Presumably you've seen this

http://www.visitcostadelsol.com/culture-lovers/whats-on?con=&ini=08/06/2018&fin=15/06/2018

St. Anthony of Padua festival if you're still there on the 13th. Effigy paraded through the streets and all that.

http://www.visitcostadelsol.com/culture-lovers/whats-on/san-antonio-fair-frigiliana-p99228

But no bullfights apparently so moral dilemma avoided.

53 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Presumably you've seen this

http://www.visitcostadelsol.com/culture-lovers/whats-on?con=&ini=08/06/2018&fin=15/06/2018

St. Anthony of Padua festival if you're still there on the 13th. Effigy paraded through the streets and all that.

http://www.visitcostadelsol.com/culture-lovers/whats-on/san-antonio-fair-frigiliana-p99228

But no bullfights apparently so moral dilemma avoided.

That's brilliant - thank you.  Even better that there's no bullfights!

31 minutes ago, Nick Hatton said:

Don't forget to pack warm jumpers and a brolly,I am in Salamanca now and it is wet and cold much like most of Spain at the moment! this time last year was 35deg.

No way?! In West Cork today it must have been 50-60 C - so it must be hotter in Malaga  :lol::P

13 hours ago, Colblimp said:

No way?! In West Cork today it must have been 50-60 C - so it must be hotter in Malaga  :lol::P

Isn't it great. :)

I was there a few years ago and there is some amazing architecture in Malaga. Moorish, Gothic, Baroque, it has it all.  Also I believe you can go into the bullring and museum even if there are no fights. 

1 hour ago, John Rodgers said:

Isn't it great. :)

I was there a few years ago and there is some amazing architecture in Malaga. Moorish, Gothic, Baroque, it has it all.  Also I believe you can go into the bullring and museum even if there are no fights. 

Now that's very interesting - pics from the actual bullring... B)

2 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

Don't try and put me off, Wim, I'm determined! :P

I  somehow deleted half the message. The images are back now, ;-)

wim

3 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

I  somehow deleted half the message. The images are back now, ;-)

wim

Uggggh, it would have been better if you'd left those images out...  Not pleasant.

44 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

Only 1,983  other images for Malaga Bullring.

August 18, 2016. 18th Aug, 2016. M¡Laga, Spain - Spanish bullfighter Roca Rey is gored by his first bull of the evening during the August Fair held at La Malagueta bullring in Malaga, Andalusia, Spain on 18 August 2016. Credit:  Fotos Lorenzo Carnero/ZUMA Wire/Alamy Live News - Stock Image  August 18, 2016. 18th Aug, 2016. M¡Laga, Spain - Spanish bullfighter Roca Rey is gored by his first bull of the evening during the August Fair held at La Malagueta bullring in Malaga, Andalusia, Spain on 18 August 2016. Credit:  Fotos Lorenzo Carnero/ZUMA Wire/Alamy Live News - Stock Image  August 18, 2016. 18th Aug, 2016. M¡Laga, Spain - Spanish bullfighter Roca Rey is gored by his first bull of the evening during the August Fair held at La Malagueta bullring in Malaga, Andalusia, Spain on 18 August 2016. Credit:  Fotos Lorenzo Carnero/ZUMA Wire/Alamy Live News - Stock Image

Not all as good as these.

wim

I had a bit of a look and they seem to portray Bullfighting as heroic or glamorous. When I go to Madrid in July I hope to go to a bullfight and take photos that hopefully  show the cruel and nasty side of it. 

37 minutes ago, John Rodgers said:

I had a bit of a look and they seem to portray Bullfighting as heroic or glamorous. When I go to Madrid in July I hope to go to a bullfight and take photos that hopefully  show the cruel and nasty side of it. 

A bit like soccer you mean?

Sorry, I'm no vegetarian.

A real Spanish bullfight is a highly stylized affair and worth at least one visit. But make sure you understand what's going on or go with a local.

However I concur with the Portuguese that in Spain the fight with the bull itself is a lame affair. With harassed bulls that are impaired by the picadores and which seldom pose a severe threat to the matador. 

If you ever have the chance: go to a real Portuguese bullfight where the bulls are real heroes and live on after the fight.

Nowadays also in Portugal there are Spanish style bullfights, probably for the tourists. Killing or even wounding a bull used to be forbidden, but that ban has alas been lifted years ago. So beware.

wim

55 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

A bit like soccer you mean?

Sorry, I'm no vegetarian.

A real Spanish bullfight is a highly stylized affair and worth at least one visit. But make sure you understand what's going on or go with a local.

However I concur with the Portuguese that in Spain the fight with the bull itself is a lame affair. With harassed bulls that are impaired by the picadores and which seldom pose a severe threat to the matador. 

If you ever have the chance: go to a real Portuguese bullfight where the bulls are real heroes and live on after the fight.

Nowadays also in Portugal there are Spanish style bullfights, probably for the tourists. Killing or even wounding a bull used to be forbidden, but that ban has alas been lifted years ago. So beware.

wim

Some good points Wim  and I have read a couple of books on Bullfighting so I know a little of the skill and process involved, but I guess that is the juxtaposition of it.  Even the bullfighting aficionado Hemingway admitted that it is a cruel sport. 

On 4/8/2018 at 14:49, Abiyoyo said:

Never, ever. Sorry Ed I against of that cruel Spanish "tradition", at least not mine.

I was going to keep quiet on this but 100% agree, for the chance of a little commission hell will freeze over before i contribute to one of the cruelest spectacles on earth. 

Archived