Going to Malaga - what to shoot?

I'm off to Malaga in June with the family, but obviously most of my time will be spent shooting.  Apart from the obvious beaches, unfinished cathedral and drunk tourists, what else is there to photograph?

7 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Interesting old town, port area redevelopment/modern architecture including Pompidou Centre ( opened 2015) alcazar fortress on hill with view over bullring and city, Picasso museum, transport facilities, bars/cafes/shops, public buildings, people in historic plazas, busy shopping streets, and so on. 

There is a lot to Malaga and most tourists don't see it because they rush off to the resorts.

Entirely agree, there's a huge range to choose from, very old, very new, sunsets, sunrises (might be a problem if you sample to much of the local beverage:() The list is endless.

1 hour ago, Richard Baker said:

A friend has just gone there for the weekend. I told him to get over to Granada and Seville.

Hope that helps.

If time for only one, Granada. Smaller, more accessible, and cheaper. Or Córdoba, only an hour on the train.

7 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

If time for only one, Granada. Smaller, more accessible, and cheaper. Or Córdoba, only an hour on the train.

The Alhambra is certainly worth a visit if you can get there,  beautiful building and grounds, could be busy though.

The Russian Museum and Automobile Museum are in an old tobacco factory and especially the cars are extremely popular.

The botanical garden is pretty good and overlooking the city. Not the best view though.

Most people go for the overlook from the Mirador de Gibralfaro (Google) (mine).

There are quite a few places in town that have a rooftop terrace. The AC Palacio is almost on top of the Catedral.

The Alcazaba Premium Hostel restaurant is another.

We have had several apartments with sometimes incredible rooftop views. Maybe you don't want that in summer. ;-)

Our last one was really good.

June will be hot already. You would die in Seville. There's a direct fast train though.

Actually this time of year is the best time. Early February is when the almonds blossom.

A nice and easy excursion would be Nerja. If you have a car the whole region is interesting.

There's a good soccer stadium but the Liga will be over by then. The (Arab owned) CF is an interesting team though.

Not sure if the family is into fine dining or tapas, but for a minor splurge try to include at least one of these:  Restaurante Alexso, La Luz de Candela; El Meson de Cervantes.

Tripadvisor now lists 1871 in total, and there are plenty that are not on the list: you will not be hungry here.

For stock on Alamy, as always: AoA is your friend.

wim

42 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

The Russian Museum and Automobile Museum are in an old tobacco factory and especially the cars are extremely popular.

The botanical garden is pretty good and overlooking the city. Not the best view though.

Most people go for the overlook from the Mirador de Gibralfaro (Google) (mine).

There are quite a few places in town that have a rooftop terrace. The AC Palacio is almost on top of the Catedral.

The Alcazaba Premium Hostel restaurant is another.

We have had several apartments with sometimes incredible rooftop views. Maybe you don't want that in summer. ;-)

Our last one was really good.

June will be hot already. You would die in Seville. There's a direct fast train though.

Actually this time of year is the best time. Early February is when the almonds blossom.

A nice and easy excursion would be Nerja. If you have a car the whole region is interesting.

There's a good soccer stadium but the Liga will be over by then. The (Arab owned) CF is an interesting team though.

Not sure if the family is into fine dining or tapas, but for a minor splurge try to include at least one of these:  Restaurante Alexso, La Luz de Candela; El Meson de Cervantes.

Tripadvisor now lists 1871 in total, and there are plenty that are not on the list: you will not be hungry here.

For stock on Alamy, as always: AoA is your friend.

wim

Wow, a lot of info. - thanks Wim!

55 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

Wow, a lot of info. - thanks Wim!

You're welcome!

I forgot to add that Malaga is the Silicon Valley of Spain: Malaga Valley.

Great convention center: Palacio de Ferias y Congresos de Málaga (FYCMA).

A blatant Frank Gehry rip-off. ;-)

Not very touristy, but could be a subject for stock.

wim

1 hour ago, Martin B said:

There is not a whole lot to do in Malaga, but there is a cute little diner on US Hwy. 40. And there are some cool old box farm houses in the area. 

LOL!

I think I would drive on for 40 miles: there's a pretty good crab shack in Brigantine (=North side of Antlantic City).

Going the other way I think I would definitely make a detour over Delmarva  and go via my all time favorite crab house.

wim

If you've not already been, I would recommend Cordoba. The Mrs and I have seen quite a bit of Spain, and Cordoba is probably our favourite city. As has been said, it's about an hour by train.

In Malaga you will probably want to climb the humongous hill up to the castle, possibly in baking heat. We did only to find that there is a bus to take you there.

I gather Malaga isn't the rather grey old uninteresting city it once was. I did go to a bullfight there many many years ago and it was certainly impressive. I also sat next to John Wayne in a bar there! Nobody else recognised him. Gosh, the airport has three terminals these days.Now that is a change. I remember once doing a shoot for Clarksons and sitting in a little Court Line BAC 111 waiting for the wind to change for best part of 36 hours ( we did get off for a night's sleep). The only way to take off is straight at the mountains to the north and the pilot or traffic control wasn't up for it. Malaga introduced me to Tapas bars, now that is a good thing! It looks like there is rather a lot of good material on Alamy for Malaga already and I fear there may not be a huge demand . There is some nice coast to the East of the city, but the demand will be for the resorts to the West

22 hours ago, Abiyoyo said:

Never, ever. Sorry Ed I against of that cruel Spanish "tradition", at least not mine.

I agree - bull fighting is cruel and totally unnecessary.  However, as I'm shooting stock, it would be folly if I didn't shoot a bull fight if there's one happening whilst I'm there.

On 06/04/2018 at 07:38, Colblimp said:

I'm off to Malaga in June with the family, but obviously most of my time will be spent shooting.......

Images of divorce papers, selfie of shunned husband sleeping on sofa.....:lol:

7 minutes ago, Avpics said:

Images of divorce papers, selfie of shunned husband sleeping on sofa.....:lol:

Nah, she knows what I'll be doing and she understands.  As long as I swim with the kids for an hour, I don't think she really cares... :ph34r:

On 4/9/2018 at 06:44, Colblimp said:

I agree - bull fighting is cruel and totally unnecessary.  However, as I'm shooting stock, it would be folly if I didn't shoot a bull fight if there's one happening whilst I'm there.

Jorge has a right to his feelings and opinion, of course. I don't approve of wars or riots, but as a PJ I've covered a number of them.

There's a lot of history in that Spanish city; Piccaso was born there. Just up the coast is Torremolinos (one of the resorts Ian was warning about). My stepbrother once ran a little bar there.  

Edo

6 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Just up the coast is Torremolinos (one of the resorts Ian was warning about). My stepbrother once ran a little bar there.  

Edo

On the occasion of the ash cloud which prevented many European flights we had been staying at a place inland, but arrived at Malaga airport to find all flights cancelled. Luckily our airline, Easyjet, was very generous in its arrangements and put us up in a 4 star hotel in Torremolinos for several nights. I had visions of a place populated by rowdy and drunken youths, but no, a clean, well presented,  family resort with interesting destinations just inland.  (Other people were not so fortunate, their airlines made little or no provision and they had to fend for themselves).

Bryan, good on you! 

I've been there a few times, but back in the '70s. They were making a lot of films with international casts back then, and Terremolinos was where many actors hung out, many at my step bother's bar. It had a lot of charm back then. My bro stared in one very bad low-budget horror film -- the horror was the reviews. 

Edo

Archived