Favourite images uploaded - April 2018

gvallee

Interior of Llandaff Cathedral one lunch time last week. Was wandering around the outside when I saw the open doors. Two old boys were standing at the bottom of the steps handing out information sheets to visitors, but conveniently drifted off to chat to the lady selling books in the corner. Handheld, unfortunately, but I could go back every day for a year with my tripod and never get an opportunity like that again.

interior-of-llandaff-cathedral-including

Female Yellow-bellied Sunbird (Nectarinia jugularis) at her pendulous nest in my garden

MF45AM.jpg

Australian Brush-turkey (Alectura lathami) preening

MF45B3.jpg

A sad photo that is hard for me to look at. This Little Corella started hanging around our feeding platform a few weeks ago. We could see it was starting to lose feathers and was not looking very well. After a while, I realised it had Psittacine Beak and Feather Disease, which is invariably fatal, and also very infectious to other parrots. So, we had to work out how to catch this poor bird before it got sick from the cold, or was so weak it fell from a tree and got savaged by local cats or dogs. It took us about 4 weeks of offering food, of talking to the bird and trying to get it used to us being around when it was feeding, and it was a real survivor and we learned to respect it and wish we could save it. As it lost more feathers, flying was getting to be very difficult for the bird, and it was getting scared to come down from the tree it lived in. Hubby cut branches and made a walkway for the bird from it's tree onto the feeding table, then as it lost more feathers, another branch from the ground up to the feeding table. Once we had it used to eating from the feeding table it was time to try to coax it onto the lawn, where we planned to throw a blanket over it. By this time, the only food and water it was getting was from us, and every time I went into the yard, this bird screamed at me and would start to struggle down from it's tree and expect food. And I always kept it well fed. I took this photo a couple of days before we caught the bird and took it to the vet, where it was humanely put to sleep. I must admit to crying like a baby at the Vet Surgery.

little-corella-cacatua-sanguinea-with-an

1 hour ago, cbimages said:

A sad photo that is hard for me to look at. This Little Corella started hanging around our feeding platform a few weeks ago. We could see it was starting to lose feathers and was not looking very well. After a while, I realised it had Psittacine Beak and Feather Disease, which is invariably fatal, and also very infectious to other parrots. So, we had to work out how to catch this poor bird before it got sick from the cold, or was so weak it fell from a tree and got savaged by local cats or dogs. It took us about 4 weeks of offering food, of talking to the bird and trying to get it used to us being around when it was feeding, and it was a real survivor and we learned to respect it and wish we could save it. As it lost more feathers, flying was getting to be very difficult for the bird, and it was getting scared to come down from the tree it lived in. Hubby cut branches and made a walkway for the bird from it's tree onto the feeding table, then as it lost more feathers, another branch from the ground up to the feeding table. Once we had it used to eating from the feeding table it was time to try to coax it onto the lawn, where we planned to throw a blanket over it. By this time, the only food and water it was getting was from us, and every time I went into the yard, this bird screamed at me and would start to struggle down from it's tree and expect food. And I always kept it well fed. I took this photo a couple of days before we caught the bird and took it to the vet, where it was humanely put to sleep. I must admit to crying like a baby at the Vet Surgery.

You did the best you could. Thank you for sharing. I'm always interested in the story behind a picture.

Gen  

dunbar-scotland-22-april-2018-eye-cave-b

My favourite image this week. Luckily others thought so too and it appeared in print and online in The Times, and in The Metro online.

The European Stone Stacking Championships, believe it or not.

Last few scraped into April...

I seem to like taking pictures of railways and railway stations. This time it's Portsmouth Harbour Railway Station:

trains-sit-in-the-platform-at-bournemouth-harbour-railway-station-MFY3P6.jpg

Or if not trains, then boats.. fishing trawlers moored in Portsmouth:

fishing-boats-moored-in-portsmouth-harbout-in-the-background-is-the-lipstick-tower-at-gunwharf-quays-MFW2Y5.jpg

A Wight Link Car ferry leaves Portsmouth followed by a smaller fishing boat:a-fishing-trawler-follows-a-wight-link-car-ferry-out-of-portsmouth-harbour-in-the-uk-MFT70A.jpg

5 minutes ago, aphperspective said:

Probably talking about the new arm jewellery (right flipper)

most zoos seem to give away that jewellery to their penguins. 

Would love to know if it has a function ... maybe designed to go after photographers? 

13 minutes ago, Sally said:

I'd love to know why these Emperor Penguins do this

dunno, maybe

- giving you a special pose for your picture

- chit chatting the latest rumors 

- fighting over the new lady penguin that arrived a day ago

3 hours ago, hdh said:

most zoos seem to give away that jewellery to their penguins. 

Would love to know if it has a function ... maybe designed to go after photographers? 

dunno, maybe

- giving you a special pose for your picture

- chit chatting the latest rumors 

- fighting over the new lady penguin that arrived a day ago

Love all the suggestions; should have made it into a caption competition!  These guys did this repeatedly, so it must serve some social function.

On 28/04/2018 at 18:20, John Mitchell said:

Well done! That deer definitely doesn't look stuffed. B)

Can't you see the wires holding it up from the ears and tail?;)

Allan

The best shot I've ever taken - in my slippers. Well, The Acapela Studio is a nightmare to photograph. I've tried many times (as it's just yards from my door), but the immediate surroundings are not the most attractive. So when the evening sun provides a spotlight on just the bit I'm interested in there isn't time to put your shoes on. You just grab the camera and go.

acapela-studio-pentyrch-south-wales-MH6A

Archived