I think it probably has a tad more noise than they would accept. A high ISO shot (3200) was rejected lately from me for having camera shake. I reckon it was because the contrasting edges were just too soft. It's a good pic, I like it but I probably wouldn't risk it. 

I've had a few clean ISO 2000 - 3200 shots pass through. Shot with Fuji X Pro1. I prefer to keep under 3200 though and rarely need to exceed 2500, for stock that is.

Edit, just looking at the linked shot....... if it was me, I wouldn't submit it. It looks like you can see noise and that's without looking at it at 100%. I wouldn't want to risk a 28 day sit out for one file.... but that's just me.

I have had 6400 ISO images from a Nikon D4 (last week) accepted.

They were however, festival/concert images submitted through Live News. As Pearl says it depends entirely on the camera and subject. The D4 is pretty clean at 6400 and clearly news and concert photography is going to get some latitude....

I'd say for the lighthouse you'd almost certainly be better off at 2k ISO and 3 secs or even 1k and 6 secs depending on whether the light pattern and exposure on the beam worked - the central lamp area already appears burnt out - as I'm guessing you were on a tripod anyway ? Or shoot it a little earlier with a little more light in the sky...

I have hundreds taken at 3200 taken with a D3 (same sensor as the D700).

Even in daylight I do a lot of walkabout city travel stuff with an 80-200 F2.8 on AP set a F8 works for me and I have not had a rejection since 13th Jan 2010 so no problem with high ISO. Some of my Shanghai night stuff is taken at 6400 iso and hand held with a 105 F2 DC lens. However it really is about what camera you use.

Andy

I've got images shot at 2400 ISO with a FUJI S5's  and a couple shot with a DCS620 at 1600 ISO, 

how many of you have been around long enough to remember the DCS units from Kodak / Nikon?

All of the above have been licensed a number of times, the one shot with a DCS again this

month.

On high ISO images I shoot RAW and process to 16bit TIFF files through CS5 Camera Raw 

then Noise Ninja with masking ....

I had one QC fail, my first submission, it was a late evening shot, fairly dark, with a high ish iso (cant recall exact ISO).

Much, much less noise than that shot and it failed for soft or lacking definition.

Was that uploaded as part of a batch? Might not have been seen by QC?

I've got images shot at 2400 ISO with a FUJI S5's  and a couple shot with a DCS620 at 1600 ISO, 

how many of you have been around long enough to remember the DCS units from Kodak / Nikon?

All of the above have been licensed a number of times, the one shot with a DCS again this

month.

On high ISO images I shoot RAW and process to 16bit TIFF files through CS5 Camera Raw 

then Noise Ninja with masking ....

Sorry Chuck, working on an iPad and inadvertently gave you a "red" when I was going for green. Sincere apologies.

You can submit high ISO images that will sail through QC depending on the camera and how decent a raw converter you use. Canon 5D MkIII, 24-105L at f4.0, 1/50, 12,800 ISO, +.33 EV exposure compensation, CFL room light. Raw conversion in Apple Aperture. One of a small batch all shot at 12,800. Ever notice that "cat" is frequently a top search term in "All of Alamy?"

DBR5W4.jpg

Sorry could not see your image as I am not a twitter member. And don't intend to sign up either.

Allan

If you are going to shoot at high ISO you need to get exposure spot on (expose to the right) otherwise pulling up the shadows will kill you with noise.

I have had Fuji X-E1 ISO 3200 & 6400 concert shots go through Alamy/News and reportage OK but they effectively by-pass normal QC although News is certainly edited. I wouldn't risk my Canon 1Ds3 at above ISO 1000 without careful testing first. What a difference a few years makes!

If you are going to shoot at high ISO you need to get exposure spot on (expose to the right) otherwise pulling up the shadows will kill you with noise.

I have had Fuji X-E1 ISO 3200 & 6400 concert shots go through Alamy/News and reportage OK but they effectively by-pass normal QC although News is certainly edited. I wouldn't risk my Canon 1Ds3 at above ISO 1000 without careful testing first. What a difference a few years makes!

+1 Correct exposure is very important as is knowing the limitations of my camera concerning ISO. Mine is ok up to 1600, but don't go that high very often.

• 3 months later...

Archived