Anyone using Pixelmator Pro for raw development and image editing? I recently downloaded a trial of Pixelmator (the non-pro version) and gave it a quick try and was pleasantly surprised by it's speed, responsiveness, ease of use and the (default) rendering of my RAW files. But the non-pro version has no RAW development controls (WB, NR etc). However I believe the Pro version does, but I can't try it at the moment as it requires High Sierra. Has anyone else given the Pro version a go? (NB. It's Mac High Sierra only).

Mark

24 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Mark could you say if Pixelmator is any use in rendering images of 3200 ISO.

Allan

Good question. I'll take a picture shortly and find out. Rumour has it that Pixelmator uses Apple's RAW conversion routines. I haven't found any noise reduction sliders in Pixelmator at all, not sure if Pixelmator Pro has them.

Mark

Allan,

OK, test complete. I tried loading a RAW file from my Sony RX100 Mk3 taken at ISO3200 into LR6, Affinity Photo and Pixelmator (non Pro) packages all using their default settings. Here are 100% crops from each.

Lightroom 6

RX100_ISO3200_Lightroom.png

Affinity Photo

RX100_ISO3200_Affinity_Photo.png

Pixelmator

RX100_ISO_3200_Pixelmator.png

Mmmm....

At ISO 3200 from Sony RX100, I prefer LR's and Affinity Pro's default treatment of noise reduction/detail. Pixelmator has lost details, and so far as I can tell there's nothing I can do about it (in the non-pro version). I'll try the same test at a lower ISO rating. (I'd never usually push my RX100 ISO that high).

Mark

1 hour ago, M.Chapman said:

Allan,

OK, test complete. I tried loading a RAW file from my Sony RX100 Mk3 taken at ISO3200 into LR6, Affinity Photo and Pixelmator (non Pro) packages all using their default settings. Here are 100% crops from each.

Lightroom 6

RX100_ISO3200_Lightroom.png

Affinity Photo

RX100_ISO3200_Affinity_Photo.png

Pixelmator

RX100_ISO_3200_Pixelmator.png

Mmmm....

At ISO 3200 from Sony RX100, I prefer LR's and Affinity Pro's default treatment of noise reduction/detail. Pixelmator has lost details, and so far as I can tell there's nothing I can do about it (in the non-pro version). I'll try the same test at a lower ISO rating. (I'd never usually push my RX100 ISO that high).

Mark

Thank you for that test run. It is certainly interesting that LR6 and Affinity are so close but, for me who sometimes uploads to alamy at 3200 ISO, I think Pixelmator is out of the running looking at your results.

Allan

I repeated the test at ISO200, where there's far less noise. At ISO 200 there's little between LR6 and Pixelmator, with Affinity Photo somewhat softer. Again this is using the default settings in each program. Here's a 100% crop of Pixelmator's rendering of the ISO200 shot.

RX100_ISO200_Pixelmator.png

Mark

14 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Thank you for that test run. It is certainly interesting that LR6 and Affinity are so close but, for me who sometimes uploads to alamy at 3200 ISO, I think Pixelmator is out of the running looking at your results.

Allan

That's why I'm asking if anyone has tried/installed the Pixelmator Pro version. The non-pro version has no adjustment on the RAW conversion, but the pro version appears to have a raw conversion panel that looks similar to LR which would allow noise vs detail to be adjusted. Certainly the default RAW conversion settings in the non-pro aren't ideal at high ISO. But at low ISO, I rather like Pixelmator's (non-pro) default settings. I saw somehwere that Pixelmator is using Apple's raw conversion routines, so every time Apple provides an update that supports new cameras Pixelmator should "inherit" support for them.

Mark

17 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

That's why I'm asking if anyone has tried/installed the Pixelmator Pro version. The non-pro version has no adjustment on the RAW conversion, but the pro version appears to have a raw conversion panel that looks similar to LR which would allow noise vs detail to be adjusted. Certainly the default RAW conversion settings in the non-pro aren't ideal at high ISO. But at low ISO, I rather like Pixelmator's (non-pro) default settings. I saw somehwere that Pixelmator is using Apple's raw conversion routines, so every time Apple provides an update that supports new cameras Pixelmator should "inherit" support for them.

Mark

That last comment is certainly interesting as LR stand alone, which I use, is not going to be updated for new cameras/lenses.

If I had the funds and time I would download the app to try the pro version out. Have not seen a trial for that app.

Allan

PS: The shot at 200 ISO looks good to me.

5 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

That last comment is certainly interesting as LR stand alone, which I use, is not going to be updated for new cameras/lenses.

If I had the funds and time I would download the app to try the pro version out. Have not seen a trial for that app.

Allan

PS: The shot at 200 ISO looks good to me.

Pixelmator (non pro) for Mac 30 day free trial is here http://www.pixelmator.com/mac/free-trial/

Pixelmator Pro for Mac 30 day free trial is here http://www.pixelmator.com/pro/free-trial/ (NB. Needs High Sierra)

I might upgrade to High Sierra in a few weeks time, and may give it a spin then.

Mark

Thanks for finding PP 30 day trial. I am using HS so will download and when I have a bit of time will test it out.

Allan

HMmmmmm! Something not right with the download. Everything went OK but when I click on the download to open it it disappears???

Allan

5 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

HMmmmmm! Something not right with the download. Everything went OK but when I click on the download to open it it disappears???

Allan

Strange, It worked for me the other day (but I can't install it as I'm currently still running Sierra).

I just tried the download button again and it still works fro me (Mac Sierra + Google Chrome) and quickly downloads a file called Pixelmator-Pro.zip at 95Mb into my Downloads folder. If you click on the zip file it self extracts the pixelmator.app which will then also be in your Downloads folder. 

Mark

32 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

Strange, It worked for me the other day (but I can't install it as I'm currently still running Sierra).

I just tried the download button again and it still works fro me (Mac Sierra + Google Chrome) and quickly downloads a file called Pixelmator-Pro.zip at 95Mb into my Downloads folder. If you click on the zip file it self extracts the pixelmator.app which will then also be in your Downloads folder. 

Mark

No. Can't find it in my downloads folder either.

I have to go now but will try again tomorrow.

Allan

Well I tried again with the free trial download. Found the download in the "Download" file and noticed that the date against it is 20th March???

A panel comes up when clicked on but appears to be refusing to work.

I think I saw somewhere that this download kept crashing.

Sorry but I cannot go any further with it at the moment.

Allan

The downloaded Zip file I just downloaded again has today's date, but the date of the app file it contains (Pixelmator Pro.app) is 20th March 2018, which is presumably the date on which the app was created. The app file size is 140.3MB. When I try to run it I get a message that it needs High Sierra, so I can't confirm whether it works after that, until I upgrade from Sierra. I'll report back when I do.

Mark

16 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

The downloaded Zip file I just downloaded again has today's date, but the date of the app file it contains (Pixelmator Pro.app) is 20th March 2018, which is presumably the date on which the app was created. The app file size is 140.3MB. When I try to run it I get a message that it needs High Sierra, so I can't confirm whether it works after that, until I upgrade from Sierra. I'll report back when I do.

Mark

Mark there is a youtube review on line here. See what you make of it.

Allan

On 4/4/2018 at 12:53, Allan Bell said:

Mark there is a youtube review on line here. See what you make of it.

Allan

Great thanks for that. It's useful the way he dwells (very briefly) on the drop down menus. Using the pause button I can see what's in there and what's not. It looks like noise removal is still not present and I couldn't spot barrel pincushion correction, or CA removal, or fringe removal, so it's probably a non-starter at the moment.

What impressed me, when I ran ordinary (non-pro) Pixelmator, was just how fast it is. The app opens really quickly, there's no need to import image files into a catalog before developing them, RAW files are opened really quickly and the adjustment sliders responded absolutely instantly (no lag at all) making image adjustment a breeze. I also liked the default rendering of my RAW images. I was hoping the pro version added some a few more critical features, but I can't see many, other than white balance adjustment at the moment. 

One to keep an eye on methinks.

Mark

15 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

Great thanks for that. It's useful the way he dwells (very briefly) on the drop down menus. Using the pause button I can see what's in there and what's not. It looks like noise removal is still not present and I couldn't spot barrel pincushion correction, or CA removal, or fringe removal, so it's probably a non-starter at the moment.

What impressed me, when I ran ordinary (non-pro) Pixelmator, was just how fast it is. The app opens really quickly, there's no need to import image files into a catalog before developing them, RAW files are opened really quickly and the adjustment sliders responded absolutely instantly (no lag at all) making image adjustment a breeze. I also liked the default rendering of my RAW images. I was hoping the pro version added some a few more critical features, but I can't see many other than white balance adjustment at the moment. 

One to keep an eye on methinks.

Mark

Agreed.

Allan

Just got into Pixelmator pro and found this under Preferences - General.

[   ]  Import JPEG, PNG and TIFF images.

When opening JPEG, PNG and TIFF images, they are imported as Pixelmator Pro documents.

Deselecting this also turns off Auto Save and Versions.

This indicates it will not recognise RAW images in the various camera formats. But not tried to import any of my RAWS in case they are lost or corrupted in some way.

Allan

2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Just got into Pixelmator pro and found this under Preferences - General.

[   ]  Import JPEG, PNG and TIFF images.

When opening JPEG, PNG and TIFF images, they are imported as Pixelmator Pro documents.

Deselecting this also turns off Auto Save and Versions.

This indicates it will not recognise RAW images in the various camera formats. But not tried to import any of my RAWS in case they are lost or corrupted in some way.

Allan

Glad you got it working.

I'm sure it recognises RAWs, even Pixelmator (non-pro) does this. I've tried CR2, ARW and RW2 RAW files and they all open fine. I've not had any problems with corruption of the RAW files. If in doubt just take a copy of your RAW file you want to try first.

Mark

Bad news I'm afraid. Pixelmator pro opened one of my images taken at ISO3200 and the default treatment is just the same as your image above in Pixelmator.

I can't find any tools to process the image either.

Allan

42 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Bad news I'm afraid. Pixelmator pro opened one of my images taken at ISO3200 and the default treatment is just the same as your image above in Pixelmator.

I can't find any tools to process the image either.

Allan

In Pixelmator the sharpen, colour balance, saturation etc. are all (bizarrely) called "Effects" and appear when the Effects menu/palette is opened. But if there's no noise reduction, and no way to reduce the default sharpening, then it's a non-starter at the moment.

Also reading the compatibility issues that High Sierra might cause with some of my other software, I'm reluctant to upgrade from Sierra.

So, I think Pixelmator Pro is dead and buried for me. Shame it looked encouraging. :(

Thanks for your help

Mark

On a loosely related theme (High Sierra and alternative image editors) I was in the Apple store earlier today and had a play with the editing tools available in the updated Photos app supplied with High Sierra. They have been significantly improved versus the Photos app in Sierra and now include noise reduction, curves control, white balance etc. Very responsive, simple interface. If it keeps being improved like this it could become a useful alternative...

Mark

46 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

On a loosely related theme (High Sierra and alternative image editors) I was in the Apple store earlier today and had a play with the editing tools available in the updated Photos app supplied with High Sierra. They have been significantly improved versus the Photos app in Sierra and now include noise reduction, curves control, white balance etc. Very responsive, simple interface. If it keeps being improved like this it could become a useful alternative...

Mark

Thank you for that information Mark. Certainly one to watch.

Now why have I not thought of going into our local Apple store in Cambridge and playing with the apps on the iMac?

Allan

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

Thank you for that information Mark. Certainly one to watch.

Now why have I not thought of going into our local Apple store in Cambridge and playing with the apps on the iMac?

Allan

Here's a link to screenshot on cultofmac.com showing some of the controls.

Mark

Archived