The Nik Collection

"End of the road"? They are not an operating system. They're not a time limited package. They work on the latest operating systems and perform their functions well. They don't need developing, treat them as a one off. I've used them for over 10 years and they've reached V2 and one V3, not operating system upgrades, but they added new features. If the feature set is adequate, and they are, and they are free, nothing to lose.

On 4/13/2018 at 18:33, Duncan_Andison said:

You need to go to the download page, enter your email to be updated about the new paid for app. Once you do this you will get an email with a link to download the free version.

Thanks!

Just grabbed myself a copy in case they disappear.

Interestingly in Google Chrome on OSX the box to enter your email is missing. So I tried Safari browser and it works fine.

Mark

1 hour ago, Stephen Lloyd said:

"End of the road"? They are not an operating system. They're not a time limited package. They work on the latest operating systems and perform their functions well. They don't need developing, treat them as a one off. I've used them for over 10 years and they've reached V2 and one V3, not operating system upgrades, but they added new features. If the feature set is adequate, and they are, and they are free, nothing to lose.

I disagree. Software needs to be updated to take advantage of developments in hardware and operating systems for performance reasons. In some cases older software may not even work on newer operating systems or new hardware. 

A really important example here is the advent of 64 bit Photoshop taking advantage of essentially unlimited RAM whereas older versions (pre-CS5 in the case of the Mac and pre-CS6 I think in the case of Windows) could only use a maximum of 2GB. This had/has very significant performance effects. Another would be the use of graphics acceleration in PSCS6 and later and in more recent versions of Lightroom. Again the performance enhancements are very significant. This is particularly noticeable if working on large files.

So if software is no longer supported, then it is likely to be effectively the end of the road although it may be a long road until it no longer works or works well enough to be useful. In the case of plugions for Photoshop or Lightroom, then of course it is going to be important to keep up with developments.

And none of that even directly considers new cameras and improvements in raw converters. This may not be directly relevant to the Nik collection but will certainly be very important for DxO users if their raw converter software was to be discontinued.

2 minutes ago, MDM said:

I disagree. Software needs to be updated to take advantage of developments in hardware and operating systems for performance reasons. In some cases older software may not even work on newer operating systems or new hardware. 

A really important example here is the advent of 64 bit Photoshop taking advantage of essentially unlimited RAM whereas older versions (pre-CS5 in the case of the Mac and pre-CS6 I think in the case of Windows) could only use a maximum of 2GB. This had/has very significant performance effects. Another would be the use of graphics acceleration in PSCS6 and later and in more recent versions of Lightroom. Again the performance enhancements are very significant. This is particularly noticeable if working on large files.

So if software is no longer supported, then it is likely to be effectively the end of the road although it may be a long road until it no longer works or works well enough to be useful. In the case of plugions for Photoshop or Lightroom, then of course it is going to be important to keep up with developments.

And none of that even directly considers new cameras and improvements in raw converters. This may not be directly relevant to the Nik collection but will certainly be very important for DxO users if their raw converter software was to be discontinued.

Good point - For example - Apple have stated that the next version of OS-X will only support 64 bit apps, support for 32 bit apps will be dropped. Not sure what Nik collection is.

I notice that at least one component of Adobe's latest CC offerings aren't yet 64 bit either (I got warnings when installing the trial version of CC PS 2018 on High Sierra).

But I assume Adobe will address that in good time. 

The same unfortunately applies to at least one component (Adobe_licutil) of standalone LR 6.14. I guess it's less clear if Adobe will provide updates here. :wacko:

Mark

9 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

Good point - For example - Apple have stated that the next version of OS-X will only support 64 bit apps, support for 32 bit apps will be dropped. Not sure what Nik collection is.

I notice that at least one component of Adobe's latest CC offerings aren't yet 64 bit either (I got warnings when installing the trial version of CC PS 2018 on High Sierra).

But I assume Adobe will address that in good time. 

The same unfortunately applies to at least one component (Adobe_licutil) of standalone LR 6.14. I guess it's less clear if Adobe will provide updates here. :wacko:

Mark

That has something to do with Adobe licensing, not the LR application itself so I would guess it is nothing to worry about. You can get information about installed apps by going About This Mac, then System Report - dig around in there and you can see what apps or components are 64 bit for one thing..

59 minutes ago, MDM said:

That has something to do with Adobe licensing

Indeed it is. If it won't run, I guess it's possible the main software won't either as it won't be able to verify the licence?? The warning appeared when first running LR under High Sierra (not when installing). Interestingly, when I run the system report I find I've got three apps called Adobe_licutil. Two of them are not 64 bit, and one of them is.  Curiously, the one that was downloaded with creative PS CC 2018 trial (a couple of days ago) appears to be 32 bit. For a giggle I renamed it and PS now gives the message "Adobe Application Manager required to run your trial is missing or damaged", but PS still appears to run and still has 4 days of the trial remaining. Weird. If I restore the original name, then PS starts without the error message - phew. I think the 64 bit version of Adobe_licutil may have come with Adobe Reader, and the 32 bit ones came with LR 6.0 and PS CC 2018.  There are also problems with AAM_Registration notifier and AAM_Updates manager and AAM_LauncherUtil which are all 32 bit. Some of these are also part of the LR 6.0 and PS 2018 packages. 

But as I said, no doubt Adobe will update the CC files. It's the standalone version of LR 6.14 and my old PSE 8 (which is 32 bit) that concern me.

Mark

17 hours ago, MDM said:

I have to disagree with you there - on a professional level. Manufacturers want you to think that way, and folk like Apple try to force you to. As an IT professional of 34 years I've seen it a lot - good software and hardware "end of lifed" when it's still perfectly functional. Cisco in the network world are one of the worst offenders. It's not automatic that something has to be replaced and anyone thinking that is a dream to the developers and their bankers. Windows 10 supports most of the apps going back in history, although Apple does not, it builds in obsolescence. One reason why I've refused to have them, and the deliberate slowing down of older phones was simply disgusting. Like Cisco they say if you don't upgrade, we won't support you. That's only if something goes wrong or there's a major shift change in the systems they run on. I don't see why I should pa to buy a new version of software to do exactly what my existing software does, and still does, just to be compliant with a manufacturer's program - both with my own cash and my clients! The move to 64bit from 32 was harsh, but there are "run as" modes to be used ,or VPCs within the system to run older software.

There will be times when you have to upgrade, more when you don't need to at this point, and probably a lot where we justify the latest bells and whistles software as a necessary upgrade simply because we want it!

3 hours ago, Stephen Lloyd said:

There will be times when you have to upgrade, more when you don't need to at this point, and probably a lot where we justify the latest bells and whistles software as a necessary upgrade simply because we want it!

I agree more or less :). However, I have to say that there are very few if any upgrades I have made in the last several years that I have not been very happy with and that have not improved or greatly enhanced my workflow and my photography.

For example to name a few,  the move from USB2 to USB3 represented a massive improvement in backup times and meant buying a new Mac which is still performing very well. The move from 32 to 64 bit was wonderful and totally seamless on the Mac as there were no separate operating systems to worry about or purchase and represented an absolutely massive speed improvement for me, particularly noticeable when processing panoramas which used to take ages at the 2GB of RAM limit. The incremental improvements in Lightroom over the last 4 years have meant massive improvements in functionality and speed. And I won't even begin to talk about why my recent purcahse of the Nikon D850 represents DSLR heaven and well worth the expense for what it can do.

On 27/04/2018 at 14:42, Ed Rooney said:

Here it is a free download from DxO:  https://nikcollection.dxo.com 

Yes, things keep changing. I just got it working on my new MacBook Pro 13". It's kept in Photoshop CC. Viveza is the tool I've been using in NX2. There's nothing like it LR or PH. 

Hope your enjoying that new laptop!!

While I like the 15 (which I was using as my main computer when I bought it) I'd be tempted to stick with the 13 for the reduction in weight and bulk.... they're very light in compared to the 15 :-)

On 06/05/2018 at 00:14, Ed Rooney said:

I love it, Duncan. I could not have traveled with the 15", nor could I afford it. 

Excellent.... I'll be running my 2015 15" for a while yet but I think it will be replaced by a 13" given it's not my main working computer! At one point, I did have a 11" MacBook Air.... really light and powerful for it's size!

I've seen a couple of expats down here in San Miguel de Allende cafes happily using the 13". If you are traveling by car, the 15" should work out, but getting on and off aircraft these days, with all the various security, the 15" would have been a major problem. 

And by the way, I have the Nik collection up and running on this machine, where it would not on my iMac. I suspect that has to do with the fact that I have Sierra running the iMac and High Sierra on this 13". 

Edo

18 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I've seen a couple of expats down here in San Miguel de Allende cafes happily using the 13". If you are traveling by car, the 15" should work out, but getting on and off aircraft these days, with all the various security, the 15" would have been a major problem. 

And by the way, I have the Nik collection up and running on this machine, where it would not on my iMac. I suspect that has to do with the fact that I have Sierra running the iMac and High Sierra on this 13". 

Edo

I've used the 15 on a flight but it\'s a bit more of a squeeze. Still using Sierra on the Laptop as there are a couple of apps I need that won't run on High Sierra. The Mac Pro 2013 is on Hi Sierra now (last couple of weeks). Tried a couple of times before that but had some significant issues with it. Seems more stable now. Hopefully there will be fewer issues with the next version.

Archived