Hi Guys

Just curious about this,  what formats do you shoot ? I.E Raw Or JPEG

I personally shoot Both as I have a camera which has 2 slots,  But I Process from Raw files and then save to JPEG.

What do you guys shoot?

Both, but going just to RAW soon. Faster writing speed (then for both) for some of the stuff I like to shoot.

Normally raw, but, if time was of the essence, JPG. In that instance probably both.

Only RAW. I export as JPEG after post-processing. Shooting both in camera takes more time to save and I can miss the action.

Always raw, unless I'm doing a small project.

Rick

Raw + large jpeg, but I only ever process from the Raw file. The jpeg is for redundancy in case a Raw image files is ever corrupted. (happened about 5 times in 14 years, but never recently) Recording both doesn't slow my camera in any way that would affect my shooting. I have a camera with a fast processor, use fast Lexar SD XC cards, and never spray and pray when shooting, so I never have a problem with buffer speed.

Only work in RAW or NEF (Nikon) convert to TIFF in LightRoom.  I now only work with D800's and

I have a desk full of 1TB external drives.......

RAW unless I'm using a "scene" or other special camera mode that only works in JPEG, which isn't very often.

In the past, I've experimented with shooting JPEG only. No problems passing QC but I got frustrated by the lack of control.

RAW - I used to do both, but found it too cumbersome to have to delete two pictures while reviewing the rolls on the PC.

I don't know why, but I often managed to confuse myself in this process and sometimes even deleted to wrong files.  

Only RAW. With JPEGs, I would feel the need for auto bracketing exposures but with RAW I just have to be sure that I'm not blowing out highlights. Shadow detail can be brought up in post. Rather than Fuji's JPEG film tastes, such as Velvia, I often follow Lightroom with Silkypix to achieve the desired colors.

P.S., I don't know about other brands, but Fuji X offers the ability to process RAW files in the camera after the fact, including basic image modifications such as push-pull, film simulation, white balance and noise reduction. The output is JPEG.

Edited by DDoug
P.S.

Only RAW (NEF).

Gen

Nothing but RAW here.

JPEG for those live news editorials as it's quicker to work with. Otherwise 50/50.

I prefer RAW for more artistic images as more control. 

RAW unless I am anticipating submitting to live news in which case I switch to JPEG.

RAW

Allan

On 3/22/2018 at 23:47, hdh said:

RAW - I used to do both, but found it too cumbersome to have to delete two pictures while reviewing the rolls on the PC.

I don't know why, but I often managed to confuse myself in this process and sometimes even deleted to wrong files.  

RAW for me, also. When I tried RAW + jpeg, like you, it quickly got old and time-consuming to delete two during review. And it was hilarious how studiously I avoided even looking at the jpegs! 😳 I think I did it for two shoots.

Betty

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

RAW for me, also. When I tried RAW + jpeg, like you, it quickly got old and time-consuming to delete two during review. And it was hilarious how studiously I avoided even looking at the jpegs! 😳 I think I did it for two shoots.

Betty

I have probably looked at slightly more. 

When I switched from using the in camera jpg's to raw, I compared my result to the in-camera jpg.

There is still an advantage of the in-camera jpg's as to being usable right away, much like polaroids. 

But after a year of raw processing I have enough presets that development to a (standard) jpg comes in a jiffy.   

On 3/23/2018 at 04:47, hdh said:

a little tip, in windows you can search for file type, i shoot jpg and raw, so to delete the jpgs. i search for "*.jpg" and it will only show those files with .jpg extension. leaving only RAW behind. i also just today used *.mp4 search to delete some movie files from a mixed SD that had some short clips on.