geogphotos

Selecting Supertags and RSI

Posted (edited)

I've mentioned this a couple of times, and so have others. I find that it is the repeated clicking on very small areas that does the harm in the upper part of my 'mouse arm'. To select a Supertag the click has to be precisely in the right area so there is a lot of upper arm tension to get to the spot, hold the position and make the click. There is such a tiny margin of error that I often have to have several attempts just to select one Supertag because the first click misses the spot. This process isn't too terrible if you have a batch of similar images, but if they are all very different it is a nightmare of seemingly endless clicking. 

The only equivalent was spending hours dust busting for tiny specks in old film scans - something that I just would not do these days. 

I do my captions and keywords in Photoshelter and then send to Alamy by FTP. My RSI is such that I no longer do any work on Supertags, or at least only on a  very good day for my arm, which in itself is stupid of me because I should let it recover.

Is this affecting others? Is Alamy aware? Can anything be done?

I do think that software like this should be designed with the welfare of users in mind.

I know that I will be in a minority, and I might be being selfish,  but I'd be happy for Supertags to go completely! 

Edited by geogphotos

Same here with me, could it be classed as an industrial industry? :)

3 minutes ago, mickfly said:

Same here with me, could it be classed as an industrial industry? :)

You'll have to take yourself to court! :D

+1

Possible remedies:

Use a pen.

Enlarge your screen. Usually Ctrl + or View>Zoom in.

wim

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

+1

wim

That works very well- even I who don't mind might leave it at 110%. FF even remembers the setting.

6 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

+1

Possible remedies:

Use a pen.

wim

That is a good idea. I tried it on a sample image then something weird happened. 

I0000rfu65ZXAlgY.jpg

52 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

+1

Possible remedies:

Use a pen.

wim

Or fix the UI at source?

46 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

That is a good idea. I tried it on a sample image then something weird happened. 

I0000rfu65ZXAlgY.jpg

You had several images selected, not just one.

This is standard AIM behaviour.

Gen

16 minutes ago, gvallee said:

You had several images selected, not just one.

This is standard AIM behaviour.

Gen

Ah! So that was what was going on. Thanks.

20 minutes ago, mickfly said:

Or fix the UI at source?

I can't do that, but I can crtl+ (or ctrl click up the scroll wheel) in about half a second.

Red Dot Workaround Award of the Year.

wim

• Like 1

What is harder for me (maybe because I like to use the trackpad on my laptop) is combining words into phrases. If the words are far apart I have to be very careful when I let go or I end up with the wrong words together and have to delete and just type them in properly. The whole business of dealing with little boxes of text is awkward. They are awkward to work with and my brain doesn't process them as easily as just plain text.

Paulette

For the reasons given above I gave up on supertags a while ago but over the last couple of days I've been experimenting to see if I could make it any less frustrating.  I have a tablet and tried with this but even when zoomed in it was still difficult to hit on the 'sweet spot' - the slightest movement of the pen and it was missed.  I think what would be useful would be a slight delay before the tag could be moved, maybe half a second would be enough.

The best option I've found is a 'mouse pen'.  Zoom in with the browser and slow down the pointer speed in the driver options - it was much easier than with the tablet pen.  They can be picked up for less than a tenner on ebay.  Not sure if it would help with RSI but might be worth a try.....

Mouse Pen (ebay)

Posted (edited)

My opinion is that the fundamental problem is that it no longer makes sense for Alamy to expect its contributors to respond to an IPTC system that involves extra work which goes beyond industry standards. It worked with 5 million images but not with 125 million. 

Edited by geogphotos

Hi Ian

Google Posturite Penguin Vertical Mouse. I’ve got an RSI after 30+ years using a normal mouse all day at work. The Penguin lets you keep your arm in a relaxed position ie resting on the desk while you’re using it. It wont fix an RSI but might stop it getting worse. Also i’ve switched hands, took a while to get used to but I can do it now.

42 minutes ago, ACC said:

Hi Ian

Google Posturite Penguin Vertical Mouse. I’ve got an RSI after 30+ years using a normal mouse all day at work. The Penguin lets you keep your arm in a relaxed position ie resting on the desk while you’re using it. It wont fix an RSI but might stop it getting worse. Also i’ve switched hands, took a while to get used to but I can do it now.

Thank you very much for that tip. Kind of you and much appreciated :)

• Upvote 1

On 3/22/2018 at 08:44, wiskerke said:

+1

Possible remedies:

Use a pen.

wim

That's a terrific idea, and obvious when you think of it. I did raise my irritation about this with Alan Capel who mentioned a possible 'feathering' tweak but this probably supercedes that. Off to have a play with it ..

Richard.

On 3/22/2018 at 03:40, geogphotos said:

I've mentioned this a couple of times, and so have others. I find that it is the repeated clicking on very small areas that does the harm in the upper part of my 'mouse arm'. To select a Supertag the click has to be precisely in the right area so there is a lot of upper arm tension to get to the spot, hold the position and make the click. There is such a tiny margin of error that I often have to have several attempts just to select one Supertag because the first click misses the spot. This process isn't too terrible if you have a batch of similar images, but if they are all very different it is a nightmare of seemingly endless clicking. 

The only equivalent was spending hours dust busting for tiny specks in old film scans - something that I just would not do these days. 

I do my captions and keywords in Photoshelter and then send to Alamy by FTP. My RSI is such that I no longer do any work on Supertags, or at least only on a  very good day for my arm, which in itself is stupid of me because I should let it recover.

Is this affecting others? Is Alamy aware? Can anything be done?

I do think that software like this should be designed with the welfare of users in mind.

I also find this a very irritating problem, though I haven't any current issues with biomechanics.   Having no idea what should count as a supertag, I always select the full ten, which maximizes the irritation.

I also wonder how these "supertags" are used.  Do they render all the non-supertags irrelevant?   It seems the relevancy of a tag is directly correlated to the customer's input, not the contributor's decision as to what counts as a supertag.  

I know that I will be in a minority, and I might be being selfish,  but I'd be happy for Supertags to go completely! 

Excellent idea.  At very least it would be useful to have some inkling of how they improve sales.

Edited by MilesbeforeIsleep