Ban from upload

liverpix

Looks like there might be excessive noise in the vertical part of the window frame?  As has already been said, if you want members to help, you need to post a 100% version of the image you sent to Alamy.  I seem to recall you have similar issues with Alamy in the past.

7 hours ago, John Walker said:

Looks like there might be excessive noise in the vertical part of the window frame?  As has already been said, if you want members to help, you need to post a 100% version of the image you sent to Alamy.  I seem to recall you have similar issues with Alamy in the past.

Yes, I noticed that too but think that may be caused by the rust spots on the frame.

47 minutes ago, liverpix said:

Yes, I noticed that too but think that may be caused by the rust spots on the frame.

Could be the rust as well. I use DxO OpticsPro (now called DxO PhotoLab) to process my RAW images. It's user-friendly and does an excellent job of automatically cleaning up noise without reducing image sharpness. The "prime" setting for noise reduction is especially effective. I believe that you can download a free trial version. I'm actually still using an older version that DxO was giving away a couple of years ago. Don't think it's available now, though.

5 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Could be the rust as well. I use DxO OpticsPro (now called DxO PhotoLab) to process my RAW images. It's user-friendly and does an excellent job of automatically cleaning up noise without reducing image sharpness. The "prime" setting for noise reduction is especially effective. I believe that you can download a free trial version. I'm actually still using an older version that DxO was giving away a couple of years ago. Don't think it's available now, though.

Thanks, I''ll take a look at the software.

39 minutes ago, liverpix said:

Thanks, I''ll take a look at the software.

If you do some surfing, you might still find a free complete version of OpticsPro 9 Elite (the one I'm using) or another version. Be careful, though, some download sites just take you to free trial versions that have a limited time span. Other outfits even try to sell licenses to the free trial versions.

I would like to make a suggestion to Alamy.

Could you allow photographers to upload to the news section when they are banned from the stock upload due to a quality control ban ?

Very frustrating not being able to upload photos. Guess, I will have to look at other sites to upload to.

6 hours ago, liverpix said:

I would like to make a suggestion to Alamy.

Could you allow photographers to upload to the news section when they are banned from the stock upload due to a quality control ban ?

Very frustrating not being able to upload photos. Guess, I will have to look at other sites to upload to.

.......or improve your QC record.

John.

Same opinion here, work on your QC record. 

The rules are clear and impartial - openly communicated. 

Take it as a learning and move on. 

I do not believe that you, looking for other sites to upload to, is taken as a threat - could even be seen as less competition by some fellow photographers. 

15 hours ago, Stokie said:

.......or improve your QC record.

John.

My point is that the quality of news upload does not need to be as high as that of stock, so quality is not that important. My quality control now is higher than it was a few years ago when most of my photos were accepted. It seems to me that Alamy is a lot more stringent than before over its quality control.

13 hours ago, hdh said:

Same opinion here, work on your QC record. 

The rules are clear and impartial - openly communicated. 

Take it as a learning and move on. 

I do not believe that you, looking for other sites to upload to, is taken as a threat - could even be seen as less competition by some fellow photographers. 

I just think that if Alamy keeps rejecting photos for no apparent reason many more photographers will leave this site and move their business elsewhere. I always view my photos at 100 per cent before I submit and have even invested in a new camera and lenses to improve quality. Not sure what more I can do.

7 hours ago, GS-Images said:

You need to understand that the QC policy is in place for a reason. Alamy need to trust that our images are high enough quality without having to check every single one, as they don't have time to do that. So it makes sense to me that if you consistently fail QC, you have to accept a ban and try to identify why you keep failing. From memory, I think you've asked about 2 images before that failed. I remember not seeing any problem with them but like I said in those threads at the time, I don't think Alamy are seeing the same versions as you are showing us. I maybe wrong of course but that's my guess.

Passing QC is a very simple thing and if someone isn't able to pass 99% of the time or more, Alamy cannot rely on them. If they don't have a system to restrict the offenders, the alternative is for them to either take far longer to check all of EVERYONE's images (meaning those who consistently pass have to wait longer because of the few that keep failing), or accept that there will be many more low quality images in their library.

As for uploading to "another site" (it's a stock agency, not a website like Flickr), you could do that if you wish to. Isn't it better to understand what mistakes you've made and try to resolve them?

Geoff.

Sure, that's why I post my failed photos into the forum for advice and members have difficulty in spotting the reason for failure. What I post on the forum are the same photo I post to alamy.

8 minutes ago, liverpix said:

Sure, that's why I post my failed photos into the forum for advice and members have difficulty in spotting the reason for failure. What I post on the forum are the same photo I post to alamy.

We can only be of help if you show your images at 100% just like you would present them at QC and how you view them yourself when editing and doing a final quality check.

I prefer to see the whole image, but a crop is fine for most people here. No additional compression: the jpg at max quality. A watermark is fine and a good idea.

wim

48 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

We can only be of help if you show your images at 100% just like you would present them at QC and how you view them yourself when editing and doing a final quality check.

I prefer to see the whole image, but a crop is fine for most people here. No additional compression: the jpg at max quality. A watermark is fine and a good idea.

wim

I have shown my photos at 100 per cent in the past. I did not show my last photo at 100% because I have forgotten the site where you can upload at 100% so ust uploaded photo onto flickr.

5 hours ago, liverpix said:

I have shown my photos at 100 per cent in the past. I did not show my last photo at 100% because I have forgotten the site where you can upload at 100% so ust uploaded photo onto flickr.

Use a file transfer site such as postimage.org. Then post the link here. Make sure it's the one that allows download at 100%.

6 hours ago, liverpix said:

I just think that if Alamy keeps rejecting photos for no apparent reason many more photographers will leave this site and move their business elsewhere. I always view my photos at 100 per cent before I submit and have even invested in a new camera and lenses to improve quality. Not sure what more I can do.

I fully consent with Geoff on this. Rest assured that when Alamy rejects pictures for no apparent reason - errors though may happen - you would read a lot more about that in the forum here. 

While equipment is a factor for the quality of the pictures, there are many more factors that drive image quality, as Geoff pointed out.

Occasionally I still take pictures with my more than 10 years old EOS 400D - a entry level SLR at the time I bought it - and the images are of the quality required.  

Personally I not yet had a QC fail. The reason being, I am over critical of my images and and had many sad moments, where I ditched an otherwise great picture for the technical quality. 

My suggestion to any uploader would be to dump an image as soon as one is uncertain if it fulfils the purely technical criteria that Alamy imposes on us. 

Even on News uploads one should try to meet all the criteria required, the reason being that lower quality is accepted is purely outweighed by the newsworthiness of an image. 

It should not be seen as a card blanche to upload sub standard images. 

I am sure once you uploaded your picture you will get constructive criticism that helps you checking future images and iprove your QC record. 

Also fellow photographers will let you know if they believe the picture was rejected for no apparent reason - as mistakes may always happen. 

Archived