Fiona

What do you do for storage?

Recommended Posts

While I've been off sick, Crashplan has died! Wondering what everyone else is doing for backup these days? Any recommendations? I'm looking at backblaze but it seems quite expensive, and it's hard to work out which of the review sites are reliable. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two 1TB USB drives. Everything goes to Google Photos which is better than nothing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Photoshelter and external HDs. Would be interested in another Cloud solution to complement Photoshelter.

 

Alamy??

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use external HDs and DVDs, just in case the HDs ever fail.

It's a pain to burn the DVds but I feel safer

Rick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I prefer a mix of hard storage and online, just in case of a fire. In fact, you guys have made me realise that my Imagefile online gallery account is unlimited, so technically I could use that for my online storage. Hmmm. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use BT Cloud. UK based but serves me well. I do intend to use an external HD as well when I get around to it.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I back up files and Lightroom catalogue to an external HD with another identical HD, which I keep in a different location, and sync them regularly with Microsoft SyncToy. Hard drives can often die randomly, so the back up needs its own back up, and this also solves the problem of fire or theft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use a combination of an external hard drive that is locked in a fire proof cabinet, and backblaze. Backblaze is only $5 a month, which is worth it to me for the peace of mind. I also like that it works automatically, without me having to remember to do anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Photoshelter, where I put a processed jpeg for sale on my website and a raw file for backup. Also keep a local set on a small, portable SSD (expensive, but worth it to me).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Futterwithtrees said:

I use BT Cloud. UK based but serves me well. I do intend to use an external HD as well when I get around to it.

 

Thanks for that tip! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Backblaze, Dropbox and external hdd. I also keep origional memory cards in a safe place until all backups are done. Very impressed with backblaze so far. My aim next is to replace dropbox with a couple ssds over the next few months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I have one external drive that I catalogue all my raw files and edits, and then I have a portable drive that I keep all my working copies on and final uploads. A few clouds too.

Edited by MandyD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Futterwithtrees said:

I use BT Cloud. UK based but serves me well. I do intend to use an external HD as well when I get around to it.

 

Ditto for the reminder to use BT Cloud, uploading as we speak!

 

I've got several HDs with copies of files on them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I'm finding BT Cloud a bit basic in terms of its functions.

 

The upload goes okay apart from some images that are upside down and others reversed ( mirror writing).

 

But how to organise the uploads into albums?  How can I elect a large number of pics at a time and move them into an album so that they are not clogging up the main screen?

Edited by geogphotos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My current plan is no good:

- ligthroom catalogue + current projects on a 500gb SSD for speed

- 3TB for archives

- backup on HD’s at home for both drives

 

My future plan:

- lightroom catalogue + current projects on 2 SSD’s in RAID 1 - will lose some speed but if 1 drive fails I will still be able to continue working

- 3TB for archives - maybe also doubled in RAID 1

- sync everything with Adobe cloud - with added value that I can edit my pictures on different computers...

- add a 6-8 TB RAID 5 backup system at home, to have incremental backups

 

I understand that good practice dictates having at least 2 backups on 2 different locations, preferably on 2 different mediums... But with over 3Gb’s of files it is a serious investement :-(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two external 3TB USB hard drives

 

Kumar (the Doc one)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Crashplan subscription is paid up until September. Once that's up, I believe I get something like a 50% off the following year.

I'll probably take a look at Backblaze after that unless Crashplan comes up with something more affordable in the meantime.. Backblaze seems to be pretty much the same deal as Crashplan was a couple of years ago.

 

I need to replace my local back-up drive. For whatever reason I've found back-up drives seem to fail more often than my main drive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Futterwithtrees said:

I use BT Cloud. UK based but serves me well. I do intend to use an external HD as well when I get around to it.

Wow, thanks, I have BT Broadband but didn't know they had a cloud service.

I need to keep up to date, I didn't know that Adobe Cloud had closed either, and that's where I had older RAWs of Alamy files stored, but I had maxed out my allowance there.

 

I must also remember to get one of my external HDs out to elsewhere!

Edited by Cryptoprocta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, geogphotos said:

I'm finding BT Cloud a bit basic in terms of its functions.

 

The upload goes okay apart from some images that are upside down and others reversed ( mirror writing).

 

But how to organise the uploads into albums?  How can I elect a large number of pics at a time and move them into an album so that they are not clogging up the main screen?

 

I don't understand your problem. My cloud storage folder structure

is an exact copy of my HD BT sync folder storage. i.e Folders, subfolders and then files etc. Can u explain further what you are looking for in case I'm missing something

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use several external hd's and each picture is stored on at least two external drives bought over several years.

Probably below is over engineered, but I am an IT guy. 

 

backups look currently  like this

two sets  only used as backup and I would never touch them, unless I need to restore the data:   

-  First set has three (rather old) drives (capacity around 500GB, 1TB, 1TB) that contain all pictures prior to 2017.   

- Second set has two drives (capacity 1TB and 2TB) copy of the above with pictures prior to 2017 and stored in other home.

 

Two additional external drives used for current pictures. These get used frequently to back up all new pictures. 

one 3TB drive:with  only pictures from 2017-today

one 4TB drive: All pictures - as long as they still  fit  - when  it comes to storage bottlenecks, I would delete the oldest pictures from that drive. 

 

Last but not least all pictures are on my PC's:

Desktop PC: Has all pictures on it and will get upgrades of hard disk when necessary  

Laptop: Only used when travelling, for which I also have two small 2.5" 500GB external hard drives for backup during travel.  

 

Sometime  2017 will become archived as well.

At that time I need to get rid of the old 500G/1T/1T set (because 2017 would not fit onto them any more)

I probably replace that set with the current 4T drive and start using a new bigger drive to store all images. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Futterwithtrees said:

 

 

I don't understand your problem. My cloud storage folder structure

is an exact copy of my HD BT sync folder storage. i.e Folders, subfolders and then files etc. Can u explain further what you are looking for in case I'm missing something

 

This is one of the problems I mentioned - a fairly fundamental one!

 

I0000ugRskKexFPA.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

 

This is one of the problems I mentioned - a fairly fundamental one!

 

I0000ugRskKexFPA.jpg

 

I have done a quick check through my uploaded files and I dont have this problem. BT Cloud was useless up until quite recently and I just didn't use it a even though I had free storage. I revisited it a couple of months ago and found it had vastly improved. All of my files have been uploaded within the last few months. Is yours an old historic problem. Perhaps it has been resolved with other older issues and may not occur with fresh uploads. Or do you have this problem with new uploads as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Futterwithtrees said:

 

I have done a quick check through my uploaded files and I dont have this problem. BT Cloud was useless up until quite recently and I just didn't use it a even though I had free storage. I revisited it a couple of months ago and found it had vastly improved. All of my files have been uploaded within the last few months. Is yours an old historic problem. Perhaps it has been resolved with other older issues and may not occur with fresh uploads. Or do you have this problem with new uploads as well.

 

I only started yesterday, to be fair I am managing to work some things out now such as the basics of navigation. I did sort of just rush at it!

 

I want it as Storage not BackUp. ie) I don't want files removed from the Cloud if I remove them from my HD. Also I want to choose when and what I upload and not have it 'take over'. 

 

I'm also trying to make sense of LiveDrive but despite trying to sign up several times have been unsuccessful - they offer something called Briefcase which is just storage not BackUp for around £100 a year.

 

There's a money spinner here for Alamy if they team up with one of these suppliers

Edited by geogphotos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Gina Kelly said:

I use a combination of an external hard drive that is locked in a fire proof cabinet, and backblaze. Backblaze is only $5 a month, which is worth it to me for the peace of mind. I also like that it works automatically, without me having to remember to do anything.

 

As above but using 2 x 2Tb external drives.  Backblaze is excellent and so easy to use.  It backs up automatically with practically no setting up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Fiona said:

While I've been off sick, Crashplan has died! Wondering what everyone else is doing for backup these days? Any recommendations? I'm looking at backblaze but it seems quite expensive, and it's hard to work out which of the review sites are reliable. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance.  

 

Remember the requirement as 3 - 2 - 1 = A minimum of 3 copies of everything on 2 different media and 1 in a different location - that should just about cover everything!

 

For me, that is a mix of two internal drives on the PC plus 2 external drives, with a backup and sync system as files are written; then Backblaze - which is great value - for the different location 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now