Do You Do Your PP on a Laptop?

I do - as Wim says, IPS display (Dell XPS) and calibration. But problems arise with differing environments - e.g. if I'm in a sunny position I give up trying as it throws your perception of the display off completely. Other things to be careful of - power saving settings when on battery (check advanced options to switch off any power saving on the display, as it affects brightness and contrast); display settings (it took me ages to discover that a default setting for 'vivid', I think on the Intel graphics control, which was artificially boosting some colours).

4 minutes ago, Robert said:

I do - as Wim says, IPS display (Dell XPS) and calibration. But problems arise with differing environments - e.g. if I'm in a sunny position I give up trying as it throws your perception of the display off completely. Other things to be careful of - power saving settings when on battery (check advanced options to switch off any power saving on the display, as it affects brightness and contrast); display settings (it took me ages to discover that a default setting for 'vivid', I think on the Intel graphics control, which was artificially boosting some colours).

Google images link

;-)

wim

I only post-process on a laptop when submitting news, or for my blogs. Apart from keywording/captioning it is only very occasionally and usually just a minimal adjustment of exposure (to open up shadows typically) and cropping. Otherwise post-process waits unbtil I get home and can do it on my desktop workstation.

I do some, but I have been very careful as to the light in my environment now and calibration. Keytagging, and uploading...absolutely...that's the only time I get to watch TV these days. :D

Just now, Ed Rooney said:

Thanks, people.

Wim, I see fashion-shooting teams out in NYC using those shade makers. But that woman with the sock over her head is a new one. LOL

Edo 

A tiny black umbrella works fine as well. Mine are from the Container Store.

However I have not tried this without a car, so the car has been my hood so far.

And I have not tried to edit al fresco, but working tethered gives the same problems.

For my phone I use an old neoprene CD pouch from a United amenity kit.

I was just looking for a similar solution for my 7" tablet, hence the link.

Maybe just use the shade of a palm tree ;-)

Btw doesn't Jeff have a cat or a dog that needs house sitting?

wim

When I pp on my MacBook Pro, after getting back from vacation, they looked horrible when I loaded them on my iMac. Mainly color casts and contrast.  But all were too dark, so my gamma was off. I had to redo every one.

I sold the laptop for that reason and got an iPad for doing the same things that were left besides PP that I did on the laptop. 

Forum

surfing

readying passed images

working on legacy images

online shopping 

email

Once upon a time, I read that even if one calibrated a laptop, that calibration was messed up if you moved it. In other words, leave it in place once calibrated. I don’t know if that’s still the case or if general opinions have changed.

Betty

2 hours ago, wiskerke said:

A tiny black umbrella works fine as well. Mine are from the Container Store.

However I have not tried this without a car, so the car has been my hood so far.

And I have not tried to edit al fresco, but working tethered gives the same problems.

For my phone I use an old neoprene CD pouch from a United amenity kit.

I was just looking for a similar solution for my 7" tablet, hence the link.

Maybe just use the shade of a palm tree ;-)

Btw doesn't Jeff have a cat or a dog that needs house sitting?

wim

Pity they don't make one with a white matrial which could be used as a light diffuser when out in the field on very sunny days.:)

Allan

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

When I pp on my MacBook Pro, after getting back from vacation, they looked horrible when I loaded them on my iMac. Mainly color casts and contrast.  But all were too dark, so my gamma was off. I had to redo every one.

I sold the laptop for that reason and got an iPad for doing the same things that were left besides PP that I did on the laptop. 

Forum

surfing

readying passed images

working on legacy images

online shopping 

email

Once upon a time, I read that even if one calibrated a laptop, that calibration was messed up if you moved it. In other words, leave it in place once calibrated. I don’t know if that’s still the case or if general opinions have changed.

Betty

Have you read that link?

His English is a bit Franglais I'm afraid ;-). Sound advice though.

wim

14 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Pity they don't make one with a white matrial which could be used as a light diffuser when out in the field on very sunny days.:)

Allan

I'm pretty sure there are white ones.

I do have a couple of 3-fold umbrellas in my portable studio kit, from Westcott I believe. Strobist recommends these LumoPro's. Which are not just foldable but also 3-way.

However as a diffuser out in the field I find they're all too opaque.

Probably a flimsy white Totes or Raines or equivalent is better.

The best is a simple piece of sheer lace curtain. If you take a thin but larger piece you can vary the amount of diffusion by folding it into layers.

Now the holders for this are not very walk or bike friendly. Nor are they cheap (those are really good though).

How big would you need it? If 22" / 56cm would be enough, I would take an old bicycle tire and cut out the steel wire from the bead. Now take a piece of Ikea sheer curtain and either tape or sew that around the wire. Sewing is better, because then you can make 2 or 3 more at the same size with an elastic hem.

Great extra feature: put leaves in between 2 layers for great dappled shade effect.

For a bigger swatter, just gut one of those cheap Chinese reflectors. Smaller? Use cheap sun reflectors for the car.

wim

Wim, it seems the MacBookPro has IPS but the cheaper MacBookAir does not. I don't travel anymore. My question has to do with the possible next step in my Fire Drama. My wish, my prayer is to be able to go home and use my iMac. 

Edo

Edo, 

About half of the scans that I have on Alamy were done on Lenovo laptops.  External monitors are

cheap and a 24 inch monitor makes working a lot easier.  The biggest issue is the graphics card.

How you doing otherwise?

Best,

Chuck

Ed, I’m hoping you don’t have any issues with smoke damage to your iMac. I had a kitchen fire 10 years ago. My stereo was clear at the other end of the house, but never worked again. And it was close to the floor with most of the smoke in the top half of the room.

I don’t want to borrow trouble for you, but these electronics are delicate things.

Keep it in the back of your mind so the blow won’t hit you so severely if you find you have problems.  Forewarned is forearmed.

Betty

Thanks, Chuck, but I have an iMac, have it here at my friend's place in Brooklyn. I would need a laptop if I must go into a homeless shelter, where there is no WiFi. I would have to bring it into a library or a cafe. 

Sorry, B & C. I've been better, Chuck. I'm in clover right now, with all the help I've gotten, staying in this fab place. But the clock is ticking, and after almost a month, there no news about my apartment. Betty, my iMac is working fine. 

M7GY4C.jpg

On another subject: I tagged this as a mixed breed. Am I right? 

3 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Thanks, Chuck, but I have an iMac, have it here at my friend's place in Brooklyn. I would need a laptop if I must go into a homeless shelter, where there is no WiFi. I would have to bring it into a library or a cafe. 

I sincerely hope it doesn’t come to that, Ed. 

8 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I would need a laptop if I must go into a homeless shelter, where there is no WiFi. I would have to bring it into a library or a cafe. 

I think I would sooner leave New York (temporarily) than go into a homeless shelter. Use this as an opportunity to live elsewhere. Chicago and Austin seems more affordable than New York. Or you could spend some time outside the continental US where the cost of living is lower. 

8 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

M7GY4C.jpg

On another subject: I tagged this as a mixed breed. Am I right? 

Could be a mixed breed or it could be some sort of hound. The ears look a bit short for a  Black and Tan Coonhound. 

Yes most probably a crossbreed. Often the best temperament if they have had a decent upbringing. And they almost certainly live longer.

As to laptops, that would be my choice only if circumstances forced. Quite aside from calibration, the different ambient lighting set-ups would be difficult. My iMac never moves and I try to keep the lighting levels in my work room as similar as possible. I don't even much like using my wife's near identical iMac downstairs as she moves her brightness levels about and I wouldn't dream of adjusting them. As a stop-gap, I think I would rather find a library or cafe with facilities for renting a little access than laying out good money for a laptop.

Hope things move along with your apt but these things so often move at their own pace. 

What, leave New York and miss all this weather? 

Thanks for your thoughts, but there are extenuating circumstances regarding any move. 

Did you read about my "interview" at Housing, Stacy?  I'm at edoruan@gmail.com if anyone wants to get in touch. 

Edo

4 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

What, leave New York and miss all this weather? 

Thanks for your thoughts, but there are extenuating circumstances regarding any move. 

Did you read about my "interview" at Housing, Stacy?  I'm at edoruan@gmail.com if anyone wants to get in touch. 

Edo

Ed,

If I had time on my hands and nowhere to live I'd spend time in Puerto Rico photographing the recovery. Maybe not the ideal vacation spot these days but the weather is good and there should be plenty to photograph.

I think I may have missed your Housing Interview. Is it online?

Stacy

19 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Ed, I’m hoping you don’t have any issues with smoke damage to your iMac. I had a kitchen fire 10 years ago. My stereo was clear at the other end of the house, but never worked again. And it was close to the floor with most of the smoke in the top half of the room.

I don’t want to borrow trouble for you, but these electronics are delicate things.

Keep it in the back of your mind so the blow won’t hit you so severely if you find you have problems.  Forewarned is forearmed.

Betty

Hopefully in that scenario the hard disks will be OK but first thing I would do is open it up and vacuum out any dust or other debris, I had a PC that stopped booting up because of ordinary household dust (very dusty!), it was OK after I vacuumed  it out). Next, on powering it up first thing I would do is make backups/copies of the disks.

As Betty and I found computers are sensitive devices, they operate at low power and high frequency which makes them very sensitive, as a result dust can alter signal characteristics that might prevent it working.

Ed, I use a 15" MacBook Pro. (I hope Philippe doesn't peek in). I have it calibrated and every time I redo that (as they nag you to do) it is just fine. I think I can use one of those shades, Wim, now that I have an apartment that sends some beautiful but annoying sunshine onto my desk. I have a black and white gradient on my Lightroom so I can find the correct angle for the screen. I have an Air for trips but wouldn't want to try to do any work on it beyond sorting into folders. I do sometimes find I have been a bit off on brightness.

I have faith that people who care will be sure you have a place to put your head until your apartment is OK again. Must be ghastly to not be able to go "home".

Paulette

Archived