geogphotos

Help Ed Rooney

Thank you so much, Betty, both for the donation and the positive thoughts. I know you are in a crisis in your own life right now.  I'm sorry your ill, and I hope your move has gone well, or as well as can be expected.

I was thinking of starting a new thread for basis factual updates in my situation. What do you think, people? You must be sick of hearing about me by now -- I know I am. If you could see where I'm staying for the next few weeks, you might want your money back. :unsure:  

I'm still confronted with the two main problems: when can I move back into my apartment, and where do I go when I leave this friend's place in Dumbo? 

If you have sent me a small or large donation, or if you can't send anything, I thank you all for the support and warm thoughts. Both Alamy and you forum folks are good people.

Edo

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Thank you so much, Betty, both for the donation and the positive thoughts. I know you are in a crisis in your own life right now.  I'm sorry your ill, and I hope your move has gone well, or as well as can be expected.

I was thinking of starting a new thread for basis factual updates in my situation. What do you think, people? You must be sick of hearing about me by now -- I know I am. If you could see where I'm staying for the next few weeks, you might want your money back. :unsure:  

I'm still confronted with the two main problems: when can I move back into my apartment, and where do I go when I leave this friend's place in Dumbo? 

If you have sent me a small or large donation, or if you can't send anything, I thank you all for the support and warm thoughts. Both Alamy and you forum folks are good people.

Edo

Your friend wouldn't happen to be Annie Leibovitz would it?

Allan

5 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Edo

Be sure to document all of this.

Maybe also the outside and inside  of some of the NY institutions you're now getting to know.

Maybe visit your local fire station? (Maybe bring pie.)

Have a look at AoA for %fire%fighter%

%fire%station% - not so much.

On the other end of the scale: pinterest.

wim

• Upvote 3

49 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Edo

Edo,

Maybe a solution based on my experiance. Maybe not, if so, please disregard.

My fire happened on May 6 2010 and I returned home to my flat after it had been renovated about half way through July. Which meant I was effectively homeless for just over two months. For a week or so friends put me up (or put up with me depending on how you look at it.) Thereafter the insurance wheels turned and I was in a mid-range hotel for a couple of weeks. For the rest of the time I was in South Africa covering the World Cup soccer which was planned a long time in advance. All I would have done at home would have been to hang around and see the hotel bills mount up. Being away in South Africa solved my homlessness problem, I had hotel bills anyway... which, even during the world cup were cheaper than home in Amsterdam. 

Once you know when you can move back, if it is a month or two away, it may prove cheaper to get a cheap flight to (Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Colombia or wherever) where the cost of living is a lot cheaper than NY until you can return. Whilst there you can get some stock which wouldn;t otherwise have got and cover the costs of the trip.

Richard

• Upvote 3

No, not Annie, Allan. Don't want to put my friend's name in an open forum. Sorry. 

Richard, that's what I might have done a few years ago, but there are too many reasons not to out of NYC right. You and Wim live in one of my favorite European cities, and in fact where I went on my last trip to Europe in 2006.

elderly-couple-on-bike-in-vondelpark-ams

Oh wait -- my last trip was to Rome in 2008. 

Wim, your suggestions remind me of a famous line De Niro said into the mirror in Taxi Diver: "You talking to me? You talking to me?" Multi tasking in this bear garden? I fear not. I can hardly stand up straight.

Ciao, Edo

11 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

No, not Annie, Allan. Don't want to put my friend's name in an open forum. Sorry. 

Ciao, Edo

Sorry Edo I was just trying to lighten the situation a bit and I would not really want to know your friends name either.

Just a little joke that went wrong.

My appologies again.

Wish I could help with somewhere to stay but we are full and you would not want to be over the pond just now anyway.

If I were in NY I would offer you my bed and sleep on the settee myself.

Allan

• Upvote 1

Always a thought, Edo.  Contact the Red Cross and Salvation Army to see if there is help with accommodations until/if you’re  back in your place. In Oklahoma, I often saw where one of those helped in fire losses.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I was recently told by a nice man in Wichita that you get 100% of nothing when you don’t ask. I’ve taken that sage advice onboard.

Betty

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

No need to apologize, Allan. That just natural curiosity. 

Betty, I will be going to register at the Red Cross next week. I spoke with them on the day of the fire . . . you don't want to know. The beat goes on. 

Edited by Ed Rooney

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

No need to apologize, Allan. That just natural curiosity. 

Betty, I will be going to register at the Red Cross next week. I spoke with the on the day of the fire . . . you don't want to know. The beat goes on. 

Red tape. It never ends. There have been many important things that have been neglected during my illness. It’s called being totally overwhelmed! :D

Right now, that’s probably the stage you’re in and will be in for awhile. Just keep plugging one baby step at a time and before long your future will begin to clear up.  Right now, it can be hard to see through the cloudy window.

Now, I need to make my car payment I’ve been neglecting. That is, if I can find the bill among the chaos.

I do believe the high-powered antibiotic I’ve taken is kicking in. The chicken noodle soup I had for lunch is the first food I’ve had in 10 days that tasted good and I was able to not feel like wretching. I’ve become fashionably thin! 14 pounds gone. If anyone finds my curves, tell me where they’re hiding! :lol:

Betty

• Upvote 1

Ed, keep us advised on how things are going for you, and if you eventually get your own temporary digs.  Everyone is interested and concerned.

Betty

• Upvote 1

My oldest friend, an America still living in Rome, died this morning. It was heart failure. He went to sleep and was gone.

I'm busy everyday with my problems. I'll only be reporting here on facts and changes only, not step-by-step doings.

It never rains, it pours. 

I hope you are feeling better, Betty. 

Edo
  • Like 1

Sorry about your friend, Edo, but when my time comes, which is probable not so far away, it's the way I'd want to go, in my sleep. What better?

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:
My oldest friend, an America still living in Rome, died this morning. It was heart failure. He went to sleep and was gone.

I'm busy everyday with my problems. I'll only be reporting here on facts and changes only, not step-by-step doings.

It never rains, it pours. 

I hope you are feeling better, Betty. 

Edo

You have a lot of people thinking of you - little angels looking over your shoulder wishing you the best in all these trials! 

• Upvote 1

My deepest sympathy, Edo. It’s hard to lose a good friend. 

I hope your overall situation will begin to improve very soon. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Stan Pritchard said:

Sorry about your friend, Edo, but when my time comes, which is probable not so far away, it's the way I'd want to go, in my sleep. What better?

I have a different wish. My girlfriend might not agree unless we could synchronise.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Ed, I join the others hoping that things will improve for you soon.

Spacecadet, your post reminded me of this:

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”

Will Rogers

Edited by pierre rochon
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, pierre rochon said:

Ed, I join the others hoping that things will improve for you soon.

Spacecadet, your post reminded me of this:

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”

Will Rogers

I forgot how hilarious that line is! Thanks for the laugh.

Ed, I am feeling better. This is a long road, though. Even with meds, it takes a month to recover. But each day is usually better than the last during that month. I’m eating again. But I’m still searching for the curves I lost! :lol:

Betty

• Upvote 1

I have a sort of update on the situation with the fire in my building. The building management person I've been dealing with told me they have permission to turn the gas back on. That sounds very promising, but the guy also said there is still the electricity and the water and some repairs, and he said, "This could take a long time." What a long time is, I have no idea. 

That's why I called it "a sort of update."  I'll be in this very nice flat in Dumbo, Brooklyn until the end of April.  After that . . . ?

Edo

• Upvote 1

Sounds like progress at least. Enjoy Dumbo! I see you are taking advantage of shooting opportunities. You are in my prayers.

Paulette

• Upvote 1

Thanks, Paulette. Nothing much in the way of wild life here across the river, except maybe for a few tourists who try to jump the line at Shake Shack. 

Edo

Still thinking of you Edo.

Best wishes.

Allan

• Upvote 1

Ed, at least repairs are moving forward. Maybe at a snail’s pace, but better than stagnating. Keeping my fingers crossed for you. Meanwhile, you are getting spoiled by your temporary digs! And....man...that view! I would get nothing done but standing and staring at it.

No, I’d pull up a chair! :lol:

Betty

Posted (edited)

M9DMF1.jpg

Thank you, Allan.

The views are awe inspiring, Betty, with this posh pad that's opened to me in my crisis. This pic I snapped just before sunrise yesterday.

For me, of course, the photo possibilities are important, but the real pleasure of this location is when the occupant is just walking around the apartment with views everywhere. 

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Sounds like one little step at a time, Ed. It’s progress!

I love seeing your views from dumbo. My youngest child lives and works down in the middle of the buildings across from you. She should buy your picture!

• Upvote 1

The ferry crosses the river to Wall Street take just 4 minutes.

If I'm still here when it gets a bit warmer, and it's supposed to next week, I can sit by an open window and get some details. And perhaps before I leave, some buds will appear on those bare branches.

Soak up a little sun for we Northerners, Cecile.  :)

Edo

• Like 1