Anyone submit jpegs for stock?

Stock, not News -- I've been made homeless by a fire, and I'm trying to work around things. 

And I don't own a laptop. Can't afford a MacBook right now. Any ideas about a cheap PC?

EDIT: I meant to say do you shoot jpegs for stock. We all submit them. :rolleyes:

Thanks, Edo

Ian, thank you . . . and thank you all. I'm moving to another temp location in the morning. Right now my head is spinning with all my problems. (Does Ian mean the Queen will help?" 

I am adverse to borrowing money that I have no way to pay back. (What the hell is IPS?) 

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

Ian, thank you . . . and thank you all. I'm moving to another temp location in the morning. Right now my head is spinning with all my problems. (Does Ian mean the Queen will help?" 

I am adverse to borrowing money that I have no way to pay back. (What the hell is IPS?) 

Better quality: better color and looks more or less the same under an angle.

Actually really useful/must have for using Photoshop. However if it's for a short while only and you will not be doing lots of editing anyway, it's the far cheaper option.

wim

Is your apartment Rent Stabilized? If so, the landlord is required to honor your lease, and you only have to pay $1 per month until the apartment is ready for you to move back in.

You should contact the Department of Housing and Community Renewal (DHCR) as soon as possible to exercise your rights.

http://www.nyshcr.org/AboutUs/ContactUs.htm

Edo, I went through a short period of submitting JPEGs taken with my NEX-6. They all passed QC and some have licensed. It was an instructive exercise as I got to know the camera's controls and settings better. I eventually went back to RAW, of course.

Montreal until things get sorted out? The snow should be melting by now.

P.S. I have a cheap PC that has been serving me well for several years. I always buy them used. There is usually a pretty good supply out there.

I've been invited to Montreal and to Cincinnati, Ohio, Not possible. Thanks, John.

And thanks, Wim.

Stacy, I spoke with a woman at DHCR. I'm going to register on Monday. I'm meeting with the landlord on Weds. The building has been declared vacant by DHCR. Thank you so much for that information. You mean I might get out of this mess? I wish I were younger, smarter and above all rich. 

55 minutes ago, fotoDogue said:

Is your apartment Rent Stabilized? If so, the landlord is required to honor your lease, and you only have to pay $1 per month until the apartment is ready for you to move back in.

You should contact the Department of Housing and Community Renewal (DHCR) as soon as possible to exercise your rights.

http://www.nyshcr.org/AboutUs/ContactUs.htm

And yes, I'm Rent Stabilized. It is of course my greatest asset. Or was. 

2 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

And yes, I'm Rent Stabilized. It is of course my greatest asset. Or was. 

Then you should definitely contact DHCR Monday. I think there's a certain procedure for a Rent Reduction after a fire. You may also need supporting materials such as proof of rsidency, photos or a fire report. Do you have a Tenants Association?

You might also want to speak to someone at Goles (Good Old Lower Ease Side) and the Cooper Square Association who helped regulated tenants after the Second Ave Gas Explosion.

31 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Yikes, you are one savvy New Yorker, Stacy. Yes, I have my lease and my official NY non-drivers ID. Thank you so much for your help.  

I have to admit I've been through rent reductions, once or twice, so I know a little about the process. Fortunately it wasn't due to a fire.

Hang in there Ed. You'll get through this.

4 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I am adverse to borrowing money that I have no way to pay back. 

Forget that one Ed. You're not borrowing it, we're not lending it, it's our gift and we don't want it back. And what's more rewarding than helping a friend in need, and we all know you as our friend. We'll get you through this. 

I'm in. 

21 minutes ago, ReeRay said:

Forget that one Ed. You're not borrowing it, we're not lending it, it's our gift and we don't want it back. And what's more rewarding than helping a friend in need, and we all know you as our friend. We'll get you through this. 

I'm in. 

Absolutely. I don't expect anything back. Just let us know how Edo.

Gen

I shot jpegs for some years until a run of failures. So I'd say yes, with your newer cameras it should be fine. I'd only be wary at high ISO. In LR I used Auto Tone on them (I still do with RAWS).

And sure, Ed, I can stand you the price of a beer.

13 hours ago, ReeRay said:

I'm in. 

Edo

I agree with ReeRay but if you are really uncomfortable about accepting the gift of money use it to get back on your feet and then pass on what you can to help someone else. Many times in the past people have treated me in some way when I was in difficult circumstances with no expectation of anything back. I took the lesson, and put the obligation on myself to do what I could for someone else when I was in a position to do so. What goes round, comes round. Good karma is all.

Stay strong

Martin

6 hours ago, Martin P Wilson said:

I agree with ReeRay but if you are really uncomfortable about accepting the gift of money use it to get back on your feet and then pass on what you can to help someone else. Many times in the past people have treated me in some way when I was in difficult circumstances with no expectation of anything back. I took the lesson, and put the obligation on myself to do what I could for someone else when I was in a position to do so. What goes round, comes round. Good karma is all.

+1

wim

Although I have never borrowed or begged money, after thinking this over for just one day, I feel that it would be rude of me not to accept this unsolisited kindness. So I opened a paypal account (reopened from long long ago, a real pain) and I have already transfered some of these generous gifts to my bank. 

This is like those closing feel-good stories on the 6 o'clock news. After a half hour of war, Trump, and school shootings, they tell you of something special that happened.

You all have taken a big step in saving my life. THANK YOU!!!

Edo

11 hours ago, mickfly said:

What's your email addy for PayPal Edo?

It is on another thread.  edoruan@gmail.com

Allan

On 3/3/2018 at 14:02, Ed Rooney said:

Stock, not News -- I've been made homeless by a fire, and I'm trying to work around things. 

And I don't own a laptop. Can't afford a MacBook right now. Any ideas about a cheap PC?

EDIT: I meant to say do you shoot jpegs for stock. We all submit them. :rolleyes:

Thanks, Edo

To answer your question, Edo, "Yes".  I have owned several Fuji X cameras and experimented shooting jpeg only using the Fuji film simulations.  This was before I started to seriously concentrate on submitting to Alamy.  I have gone back through many of my images to expand my port and used many images that were shot as jpeg's.  I did have to make some very minor adjustments to some but many were fine straight out of camera.  No failures.

Fuji's however have one of the best jpeg engines out there.  Some cameras are better than others for this but once you set up in-camera processing the way you like, you will be surprised at how good the modern cameras perform.  Give it a go.

A little gift is on it's way.  I said gift.  No worries about repayment. 

Rick

Archived