Sign in to follow this  
losdemas

News Images

Recommended Posts

I've submitted a few news images in the last couple of days (the first for quite some time).  I've noticed that they now appear as available for licensing as general stock immediately.  Sorry if I've had my head in the sand, but when did this happen?  Last I knew, they only went into general stock after the 48-hour news period has finished.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not 100% with this but if the NEWS team do not think your images are newsworthy I believe they send them straight to QC for processing them through the normal route.

 

Others may disagree with my comment.

 

Allan

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Not 100% with this but if the NEWS team do not think your images are newsworthy I believe they send them straight to QC for processing them through the normal route.

 

Others may disagree with my comment.

 

Allan

 

 

 

I think you are correct  about the procedure and they would come on sale, if passed, without further notice if the images have at least five keywords and a caption.

 

Niels

Edited by Niels Quist

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry guys, but you're missing the point - all the images that have entered general stock were accepted as news.  They are all currently both on the news feed and in general stock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, losdemas said:

Sorry guys, but you're missing the point - all the images that have entered general stock were accepted as news.  They are all currently both on the news feed and in general stock.

 

That is definitely new to me. Never heard of.

 

Niels

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Click on any news image within a particular submission and it will open as on general sale - but it won't be searchable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, losdemas said:

I've submitted a few news images in the last couple of days (the first for quite some time).  I've noticed that they now appear as available for licensing as general stock immediately.  Sorry if I've had my head in the sand, but when did this happen?  Last I knew, they only went into general stock after the 48-hour news period has finished.

 

I think I've sussed this, if you click on "Edit this image" to correct caption spellings (as I have to sometimes!) it will show as on sale if there are sufficient tags.

It does not however show in stock.

Tested this theory with my last news upload.

 

Roger

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, losdemas said:

 

Edited by Sally

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sally said:

Try doing it the other way. Copy and paste an Alamy ref into the stock site and see if you can find it.

 

No, it's not. But then, as I have said, the images are not searchable - just available via the news feed.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know what you mean... in my case I notice that it still takes 2 days for them to go from the Live News feed to being in stock.. but they are going live without me entering any keywords/tags... they just have the caption that I entered when I uploaded them as live news which I guess is searchable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, GS-Images said:

All Live News images, with or without tags, are available in the STOCK database after the 48 hours even if they show NOT ON SALE due to having no tags. This is my biggest issue with the Live News system, as we don't want them all to move into stock, but we're given no choice. It makes life so much more difficult and forces us to mess about with changing captions before deleting or we'll get stacks of completely pointless views for 3 months, because the captions now have such a high search relevance.

 

.. and this bit is new as far as I'm aware.. and like you, I don't really like it. Often I will re-edit and re-upload images so that they look better as stock.

 

Good summary BTW

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am curious: was the reason for failure that the image was too small?

 

If so, there is something I don't understand.

 

Some time ago the minimum size for news images was 5 Mb uncompressed, as far as I remember. This file size for news images I cannot find mentioned anywhere now. The file size for the normal stock route is 17 Mb uncompressed, and also as far as I remember, files smaller than this are automatically (partially) failed at upload and wouldn't cause a real QC failure. So, if the news images are smaller than the 17 Mb they would probably be rejected at QC and failed, if treated as normal stock. Is the size for news images now also increased to the 17 Mb? And if not officially, then in practice to avoid a size caused failure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Niels Quist said:

I am curious: was the reason for failure that the image was too small?

 

If so, there is something I don't understand.

 

Some time ago the minimum size for news images was 5 Mb uncompressed, as far as I remember. This file size for news images I cannot find mentioned anywhere now. The file size for the normal stock route is 17 Mb uncompressed, and also as far as I remember, files smaller than this are automatically (partially) failed at upload and wouldn't cause a real QC failure. So, if the news images are smaller than the 17 Mb they would probably be rejected at QC and failed, if treated as normal stock. Is the size for news images now also increased to the 17 Mb? And if not officially, then in practice to avoid a size caused failure.

 

Sometimes the News team determine that images are not themselves newsworthy (even though the story behind them may be) and put them in the normal stock QC process, not the news to stock route that happens after 48hours. In which case they could fail for the normal QC issues including size. I had some sent into QC, they were images of a government web site that was in the news because it was failing to keep up with demand. The news teams argument was that papers etc would search for that kind of image in stock rather than from the live news feed. Only happoened once so I did not make an issue of it, I sort of understood where they were coming from even if the news story was over by the time my pics passed QC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this