geogphotos

Adobe Photoshop and Banknotes

I0000rNTC5wYst2s.jpg

For GBP this takes me to: https://rulesforuse.org/en/currencies/pound-sterling

Procedure

Those wishing to use images of Bank of England banknotes have three options:

1. Banknote Image Library: Approved images are located in our banknote image library; users must adhere to our reproduction terms and conditions when handling images, failure to comply with conditions may result in legal action.
    Bank of England Banknote Image Library
  2. Banknote Reproductions Application: If using any other images of Bank of England banknotes, individuals must apply for consent on-line by completing and submitting the Banknote reproductions application form, which explains our reproduction terms and conditions.
    Banknote reproductions application form
  3. Postal applications can also be made by printing and completing the downloadable application form and mailing it to the correspondence address given below. The Note Reproductions Officer will endeavour to respond within 5 working days of receipt of an application.
    Downloadable application form

This is the RAW file. There must be something in the banknotes that sends an alert??

I0000JXCs3BUXUzs.jpg

I believe it is something to do with the arrangement of dots on the left of the note. Similar arrangements of dots are also seen on a lot of other countries notes.

Allan

1 minute ago, Allan Bell said:

I believe it is something to do with the arrangement of dots on the left of the note. Similar arrangements of dots are also seen on a lot of other countries notes.

Allan

So if I were to cover those notes with some coins......;)

Just now, geogphotos said:

So if I were to cover those notes with some coins......;)

????? Try it and see.:)

Allan

If you search the forum this has been covered before. If it's any help, I believe the answer was to convert to either TIFF or dng first then load into Photoshop. 

Just now, ReeRay said:

If you search the forum this has been covered before. If it's any help, I believe the answer was to convert to either TIFF or dng first then load into Photoshop. 

Thanks, no I'll leave it. But it does make me think about the few pics I have of banknotes with Alamy. 

I did apply to the Bank of England for “permission”  to photograph bank notes for stock.  My advice would be “Do not bother”.  The process took a long time and when the images were finally agreed, meeting their requirements, their usage time limits made the images useless for stock.  They clearly have no idea about the stock images market and, given the large number of micro stock UK currency images, most people do not go through the process.  

25 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Thanks, no I'll leave it. But it does make me think about the few pics I have of banknotes with Alamy. 

I asked the question about photos of banknotes here:

http://discussion.alamy.com/topic/7804-photos-of-banknotes/?tab=comments#comment-134502

I think the consensus was that a composition like yours is OK, whereas a close up of a single banknote would not be.  Cover up identifying features.

1 hour ago, Sally said:

I asked the question about photos of banknotes here:

http://discussion.alamy.com/topic/7804-photos-of-banknotes/?tab=comments#comment-134502

I think the consensus was that a composition like yours is OK, whereas a close up of a single banknote would not be.  Cover up identifying features.

Thanks Sally, perhaps I will use them after all then.

I did some shots but only with parts of the banknotes showing and had the same problem..... copied the raw files to my laptop that has CS2 installed on it and the raw files opened without problem.... did basic corrections, saved as tiffs, copied back to Mac to finish off.....

I have a few recent photos of the new £50 notes on alamy and had no problems editing them in PS, didnt even think it would be a legal issue.

But there is some dot pattern hidden in the print that also stops them being photo copied.

Imported them in to Lightroom, converted to DNG, and then right click them to edit them in Photoshop.

If you have an old version of PS on an old computer you may find it more co-operative.

BTW its not always the Western currencies which get picked up, the Vietnamese Dong was one I had to find alternative ways of processing.

Simply changing the file name to jpg allowed me to open it in Photoshop. 

It's not just British pounds.   I got the same message in Oz with the recently new Australian $10 note.

Good to know I can get around it though. Thanks.

16 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Simply changing the file name to jpg allowed me to open it in Photoshop. 

Perhaps that is because the, almost invisible, JPEG compression artifacts would prevent the image being used to make a usable fake  note.

28 minutes ago, Martin P Wilson said:

Perhaps that is because the, almost invisible, JPEG compression artifacts would prevent the image being used to make a usable fake  note.

Good point. I tried changing the same file to .tiff but it wouldn't open in PS

The 'Eurion' constellation is found on banknotes from all over - that is one of the things that triggers anti-counterfeiting programs on computers and advanced photocopiers.

Ironically I have several pics of it on Alamy!romanian-polymer-5-lei-and-5-british-ban

I use Photoshop Elements, and it doesn't seem to mind.

Hmm, I might have to try Canadian currency just to see....