geogphotos

A request about reporting actual usage

First off I have absolutely no complaint about this type of bundled licence, I'm not saying that I am all that fond of them but I understand the necessity of them. 

I've frequently posted my support for the merging of RF and RM so really have no overwhelming issue with the combined, open uses, and even with the unlimited duration

Usage: Single company - multiple use editorial only
Industry sector: Media, design & publishing
Start: 08 February 2018
Duration: Unlimited

But could we please be informed about the first, primary use so that we have information for our records and for DACs - the DACs claim now requires claimants to identify how many uses for Books and Magazines not just that an upper ceiling has been reached. These cumulative totals are important financially to us.

It is likely that there will be more and more of these sort of licences and that this issue will therefore become more important to contributors.

Presumably at the time that the buyer commits to pay for the image they know what they are going to use it for initially, even if they are vague about how they might want to use it into the Unlimited future. If they didn't have an initial use in mind I don't suppose that they would be paying for an image just in case it might be useful.

So could you please report the initial use to us:

Usage: Single company, - book/mag/whatever plus multiple use editorial only

I emailed Contributor Relations over this and was told that such information is not available, I was then told that the use was for a book but that I would not be told in the future about other uses so not to email them to ask. These are our images, they are supposed to be Rights Managed, the information must surely be available, that information matters financially to us, so please would you add the information to the licence. I can't see that this costs Alamy anything in time or effort and it makes a big difference to use. 

Edited by geogphotos
  • Upvote 4

4 hours ago, geogphotos said:

First off I have absolutely no complaint about this type of bundled licence, I'm not saying that I am all that fond of them but I understand the necessity of them. 

I've frequently posted my support for the merging of RF and RM so really have no overwhelming issue with the combined, open uses, and even with the unlimited duration

But could we please be informed about the first, primary use so that we have information for our records and for DACs - the DACs claim now requires claimants to identify how many uses for Books and Magazines not just that an upper ceiling has been reached. These cumulative totals are important financially to us.

It is likely that there will be more and more of these sort of licences and that this issue will therefore become more important to contributors.

Presumably at the time that the buyer commits to pay for the image they know what they are going to use it for initially, even if they are vague about how they might want to use it into the Unlimited future. If they didn't have an initial use in mind I don't suppose that they would be paying for an image just in case it might be useful.

So could you please report the initial use to us:

Usage: Single company, - book/mag/whatever plus multiple use editorial only

I emailed Contributor Relations over this and was told that such information is not available, I was then told that the use was for a book but that I would not be told in the future about other uses so not to email them to ask. These are our images, they are supposed to be Rights Managed, the information must surely be available, that information matters financially to us, so please would you add the information to the licence. I can't see that this costs Alamy anything in time or effort and it makes a big difference to use. 

+1

Allan

Maybe this only matters to a small number of contributors.

So would be manageable to respond to email enquiries with the required information? 

• Upvote 1

I see Alamy hasn't responded to this simple request.  It's just indicative as to what it thinks of its contributors.  Shameful...

I agree more information would be helpful to us contributors.

Right Managed images - what if an image of ours is licenced as in Geogphotos' example, and is actually used on the cover of a textbook in Canada for example. Another customer may come to us a year later, director or via another library, and also want that same image for their fiction book cover, but want to know the history of the picture before using it. They may not want to use it if it's already on the cover of another book in the same territory. We can't give them the information that they require to check previous usages.

Unlikely scenario I know.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, AlbertSnapper said:

I agree more information would be helpful to us contributors.

Right Managed images - what if an image of ours is licenced as in Geogphotos' example, and is actually used on the cover of a textbook in Canada for example. Another customer may come to us a year later, director or via another library, and also want that same image for their fiction book cover, but want to know the history of the picture before using it. They may not want to use it if it's already on the cover of another book in the same territory. We can't give them the information that they require to check previous usages.

Unlikely scenario I know.

Yes, if we are licensing Rights Managed images, we should get this info. I worked as a photo assistant to a photographer who worked with some of the larger agencies and they always sent along all the info and sometimes tear sheets as well.

This is especially important where, as here, Alamy is licensing "Rights Managed" images but they are not doing so exclusively. That always seemed a little counterintuitive to me, how do you manage the rights licensed if you are not sure of all the terms under which they have been licensed in the past? 

Since Alamy is a UK company and we need that information to make a DACS claim as well as for keeping track of RM usage, it would be nice to have the information for that reason as well. I thought Alamy gave a huge percentage of their earnings to charity, so as a socially conscious agency that generally treats their contributors well (compared to many out there these days), it would certainly seem to be a reasonable expectation.  

I would hope that in the hypothetical example quoted above Alamy would provide the information so that someone would not lose a sale. But as far as DACS is concerned,  since they are trying to get half our DACS earnings, I'm not sure we'll see them change their tune about providing the information to help us make our own claims. 

12 hours ago, Marianne said:

I would hope that in the hypothetical example quoted above Alamy would provide the information so that someone would not lose a sale. But as far as DACS is concerned,  since they are trying to get half our DACS earnings, I'm not sure we'll see them change their tune about providing the information to help us make our own claims. 

There is a relatively small number of contributors who opted out back in 2015 so that Alamy would not make a DACs claim under the revised contract. There is no-way that I can hand over my claim to Alamy, for a start, my claim covers several other agencies. So depriving me of this information cannot help Alamy but CAN help me! 

In these hard times I would have thought it self-interest for Alamy to help keep its contributors contributing. 

Perhaps this information could be available in the download file if not in the online sales reports? 

I am trying to keep a monthly total of all eligible uses for DACs purposes so as not to let this task pile up. I have the cumulative totals ( as best as I could manage) up to end of 2017 and want to keep on top of Books/Mags on a monthly basis so that I have running totals.

Edited by geogphotos

16 hours ago, Colblimp said:

I see Alamy hasn't responded to this simple request.  It's just indicative as to what it thinks of its contributors.  Shameful...

Hi everyone

We would like to remind you that the Forum is a platform for you to discuss stock photography, we don't monitor it 24/7 and if you want our input with things like this you can always email us.

As we have previously explained, information needed for DACS claims are not readily available for us. Every year we have to hire a team of temporary staff to source this and the whole operation is costing the business both time and money which is why we are not in a position to offer this as a free service. 

Thanks

Alamy

41 minutes ago, Alamy said:

Hi everyone

We would like to remind you that the Forum is a platform for you to discuss stock photography, we don't monitor it 24/7 and if you want our input with things like this you can always email us.

As we have previously explained, information needed for DACS claims are not readily available for us. Every year we have to hire a team of temporary staff to source this and the whole operation is costing the business both time and money which is why we are not in a position to offer this as a free service. 

Thanks

Alamy

With respect that is missing my point. I am not talking about extra information. I'm asking that we get to be told the actual first use an image is being put to at the time the client selects and pays for an image. Surely, in the vast majority of cases,  when it comes to buying an image the buyer knows what they are going to use it for?

That first use is all I am asking about.  

This section of the forum is for suggestions, and to discuss suggestions. 

Edited by geogphotos
  • Upvote 1

On 15/02/2018 at 12:47, geogphotos said:

With respect that is missing my point. I am not talking about extra information. I'm asking that we get to be told the actual first use an image is being put to at the time the client selects and pays for an image. Surely, in the vast majority of cases,  when it comes to buying an image the buyer knows what they are going to use it for?

That first use is all I am asking about.  

This section of the forum is for suggestions, and to discuss suggestions. 

Yes, if Alamy were to capture this info at the time of sale and include in the sales report it would help them (if they are making a DACs claim on our behalf) or us (if we are making our own DACs claim). Simples!

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, M.Chapman said:

Yes, if Alamy were to capture this info at the time of sale and include in the sales report it would help them (if they are making a claim on our behalf) or us (if we are making our own claim). Simples!

Mark

It does seem simple and I have yet to be told of any problem. There may well be one but no idea as yet what it might be. Perhaps there are some customers who just want to download pics and pay without going into details? No idea. 

Hopefully we can be told. I have sent an email to Alan Capel so will report back.

Edited by geogphotos

Here is another example:

Industry sector: Education
Start: 19 February 2018

With permission:

Hi Ian

Yes their answer was correct, there are a lot of good reasons why we can’t provide this. You may think we always have it  but that’s simply not the case. In fact it’s the reason they buy a broad licence so they have freedom to use it multiple times.

I want to improve the data we give wherever ever possible but it’s a fact that we can only supply the information we have.

Best

Alan

Alan Capel
Head of Content

On 2/19/2018 at 05:56, geogphotos said:

With permission:

Hi Ian

Yes their answer was correct, there are a lot of good reasons why we can’t provide this. You may think we always have it  but that’s simply not the case. In fact it’s the reason they buy a broad licence so they have freedom to use it multiple times.

I want to improve the data we give wherever ever possible but it’s a fact that we can only supply the information we have.

Best

Alan

Alan Capel
Head of Content

Thanks for trying Ian. 

On 23/02/2018 at 19:03, Marianne said:

Thanks for trying Ian. 

Thanks Marianne.

I was asked the other day about placing links to Alamy on my website.

My thought was:  'Hang on a minute isn't goodwill supposed to work both ways?'

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.