This may alter what you photograph

33 minutes ago, Gordon Scammell said:

It was posted in another photographers forum.  I'm trying to find out more details.  However, another colleague has attended a series of GDPR seminars and has said that it is going to be a game changer.  I suppose that if Brexit occurs then things will change yet again.  In the meantime I am giving a lot more thought to what I photograph.  

Keith has got there first.

You must do what you think fit but UK law is very different. I don't know what game is going to change, but mine isn't likely to. EU law is due to be incorporated into UK law wholesale so it would be a very long time before there were any changes. In any case many of the principles stem from the ECHR and we will not be derogating from that.

It's occurred to me that Theresa May might have confused the CJEU with the ECHR when she made her big speech. It would explain a lot.

I'm rather fond of Malta and have made quite a few trips there. Rental cars even from the bigger names were hung together with wire but you  weren't going to go far. As for the rules and regulations, they were often pure comedy, it seems they still are! Only a couple of years ago Malta had its six month stint at the helm of the EU, it was not reckoned to be a great success.

2 hours ago, Brasilnut said:

Not sure if this has to do with the above but at another agency I had a picture yesterday of a donkey on a generic field rejected for a lack of property release. 

"...the law is a ass — a idiot."

-Mr. Bumble (Oliver Twist)

3 hours ago, Jill Morgan said:

Since it would be impossible for any photographer to know all the DPA rights of every country in the world, not to mention each individual state, province, district, region, or city, it surely would be up to the publication in that country to know the publication rules and follow them, not the photographer.

We have all sold images all over the world.  Do you know the rules and restrictions of all the countries you have sold to?

Jill

True, it's a big and complicated world out there. In Canada, the laws seem to vary from province to province. Quebec has the most stringent privacy laws when it comes to photography. Some info here. And here.

2 hours ago, Robert M Estall said:

I'm rather fond of Malta and have made quite a few trips there. Rental cars even from the bigger names were hung together with wire but you  weren't going to go far. As for the rules and regulations, they were often pure comedy, it seems they still are!

If you see the way some of the Maltese drive, you would assume there are no traffic regulations in the country.

Mind you, it's like that in Halifax these days.

Alan

3 hours ago, Jill Morgan said:

Since it would be impossible for any photographer to know all the DPA rights of every country in the world, not to mention each individual state, province, district, region, or city, it surely would be up to the publication in that country to know the publication rules and follow them, not the photographer.

That wouldn't in itself stop the photographer getting sued though.

Alan

1. whether the photo was taken in a public place;
2. whether the individual is a public person;
3. whether the publication was in the public interest; and
4. whether the photograph was taken during a public event.

I submit to a German agency that follows these exact rules. They won't touch any pictures with recognizable people that are not model released. So street portraits are a no-no. The only exception is images with crowds of people and public events such as carnival parades. 

However, people pictures from overseas holiday locations are accepted ... 

The British photographers don't know how lucky they are. 

Archived