Images Sold in February (Max. 1 per day)

London Underground, Northern Line escalator, 1979

FX6EWE.jpg

Starting to feel like a long time ago, isn't it?

Incidentally, can any one work out why the posters are sharp, if I'm on the (moving) down escalator? The stairs are in the middle.

I must have been stationary, mustn't I?

TV editorial use, worldwide excluding  USA. Not going to help me with DACS, then.

You were were going down but panning with the posters steady in shot. The guy on the up escalator was moving faster up than you were down.

Allan

I though of that but my panning isn't that good now. I doubt I'd have known how to do it then- that's what I went to college for! I'd obviously learnt about motion blur though.

Anyway the foreground is sharp and up and down escalators always move at the same speed.

I think the down escalator must have been stationary.

Despite going down on the moving escalator, the posters are sharp because you selected an appropriate shutter speed !

If you were moving downwards at 1 metre/second, that may have been fine to capture the posters sharply, with the shutter speed that you selected.

If the man going up was also moving at 1 metre/second, then the relative speed is 2 metres/second, which may be too fast for the shutter speed chosen to 'freeze' time, so hence signs of movement in the man in your photograph.

Morphy Richards...is that brand still going ?

You're right, I've looked at the original scan and the posters have motion blur as well, just less of it. You should have the Scout badge for photographic interpretation.

Yes, I think we have one of their kettles still, or rather again. They're not made in Mexborough any more, though.

reading-berkshire-uk-17th-january-2013-a

Taken 5 years ago now for submission to Live News when Blockbuster went into administration in the UK. Still haven't got around to changing the caption / tags - but then maybe that's helped?!  Don't know the usage yet. 

5 minutes ago, losdemas said:

Dunno, but you might want to check this out: http://www.pidgeonenglish.com/decorative-wall-tiles-murals-tags.html

Thanks! Wow, that is a dodgy copyright notice if ever I've read one. What am I supposed to do, report this? I see that all the watermarks are on the image still but the suggested "free" uses include non-commercial and educational purposes!!

26 minutes ago, Steve F said:

Thanks! Wow, that is a dodgy copyright notice if ever I've read one. What am I supposed to do, report this? I see that all the watermarks are on the image still but the suggested "free" uses include non-commercial and educational purposes!!

I haven't taken a good look at the site,  so don't really know any details. Just did a quick search for your image. Before anything, you contact CR at Alamy to ascertain if these people have an agreement in place to license images for this use - they may well do. 

Why this sold in preference to the many thousands of other pictures of the Louvre, I don't know... but you've got to be in it to win it!

the-louvre-in-paris-the-famous-glass-pyramid-with-the-statue-of-king-ET9KKY.jpg

I found it on The South China Morning Post website (http://www.scmp.com/news/china/policies-politics/article/2098008/forbidden-city-not-if-head-chinas-top-museum-has-any)...  I've noticed them mentioned in the 'pictures found threads'  recently so they seem to be using more and more Alamy pictures. And if my Alamy Measures are anything to go by this morning, I'm betting they were searching for pictures of Shanghai yesterday.

13 hours ago, losdemas said:

I haven't taken a good look at the site,  so don't really know any details. Just did a quick search for your image. Before anything, you contact CR at Alamy to ascertain if these people have an agreement in place to license images for this use - they may well do. 

Well... Alamy have confirmed it is an infringement. But, that it's also a website based in a territory they can't chase. Hey ho....

6 minutes ago, Steve F said:

Well... Alamy have confirmed it is an infringement. But, that it's also a website based in a territory they can't chase. Hey ho....

Might be worth trying to find a contact email and getting in touch yourself, and send them an invoice for it’s use. I found a similar site just before Xmas with loads of Alamy watermarked images, including one of mine. Alamy did contact them (and never got a reply and so said they couldn’t do anything else), but I also did. The image was removed immediately after it was reported, and when I tried to pursue it later on I found the whole website had disappeared. Perhaps it’s just moved to another url, but I can’t find anything related to it anyway. Better this stuff gets taken down if people make a fuss.

4 minutes ago, Sally said:

Better this stuff gets taken down if people make a fuss.

I don't know if you've had any yet, but images in the likes of the Mail and Sun are infringed dozens of times within hours. It's not worth the effort to pusrue.

I'm on a roll. TV again, Australasia. More archive, 1992.

archive-image-of-hill-valley-courthouse-

Hill Valley courthouse on the Universal backlot. Much altered later, this is as it was in the film. Probably why it's sold 3 times in half a year.

This is the first non-presentation sale though. Pity the time's wrong- should be 10.04.

24 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

I don't know if you've had any yet, but images in the likes of the Mail and Sun are infringed dozens of times within hours. It's not worth the effort to pusrue.

Yes I had an image of a puffin in The Guardian, which then appeared all over the place. I’m really talking about websites set up with the sole purpose of copying from the Alamy website (and other stock images) rather than the sharing of individual published photos.

But  yes you’re right, it may not always be worth the effort., especially if you’ve sold hundreds of photos. I’m not lucky enough to be in that position (yet anyway :) )

Archived