Have you found any Alamy images Feb 2018

1 minute ago, Colblimp said:

It's great, isn't it?!  This shot was a genuine snap, I was in Cork doing a bit of shopping and decided to shoot some shop fronts.  I took a handful of each shop, uploaded the best and there we are!

They're often the successful pictures. Not the ones that come from some exotic trip faraway, but subjects closer to home, and generally mundane !

Hopefully the fee will help towards your shopping bill. Or maybe pay for a celebratory nice pint this afternoon in the local.

2 minutes ago, AlbertSnapper said:

They're often the successful pictures. Not the ones that come from some exotic trip faraway, but subjects closer to home, and generally mundane !

Hopefully the fee will help towards your shopping bill. Or maybe pay for a celebratory nice pint this afternoon in the local.

I was planning something 'exotic' but now I'm having second thoughts...

I dread to think what the fee will be - hopefully enough to get a takeaway coffee!

1 hour ago, AlbertSnapper said:

I disagree. Just looking at my sales of the past 3 months, I licensed images I took in Costa Rica, South Africa, Bolivia, Finland, France, UK, US, Australia, Panama and Brazil.

In total, I sold pix from 23 countries I visited.

I shoot with the travel market in mind and it seems to be working.

I think there is a market for both local and exotic places.

Gen

National Geographic / Travel
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/travel/world-heritage/victoria-falls/
Soar Above One of the Most Awe-Inspiring Waterfalls on Earth

White water rafting on the Zambesi River at the Victoria Falls bridge, Zambia side; adventure holiday travel
DGR432 (or similar) Kumar Sriskandan RM

1 hour ago, gvallee said:

I disagree. Just looking at my sales of the past 3 months, I licensed images I took in Costa Rica, South Africa, Bolivia, Finland, France, UK, US, Australia, Panama and Brazil.

In total, I sold pix from 23 countries I visited.

I shoot with the travel market in mind and it seems to be working.

I think there is a market for both local and exotic places.

Gen

Bearing in mind that "UK" is exotic for you , but not for me.

I don't travel for images and about 40% of my sales by volume are non-UK, but for many of those the fact that they're my foreign sales is almost irrelevant. Their character is a bit (but only a bit) different, because we tend to go where at least some tourists go, but many aren't "travel" images in the usual sense and a good number are licenced in the respective country for domestic consumption. I just happen to have got the sale ahead of a local photographer.

So from one point of view, maybe half of my "overseas" sales aren't really overseas at all.

04/02/2018, UK, Observer, p9, Clare College & punts, EY4N2R, eye35 [Alamy credit only]
04/02/2018, UK, Observer, p18, Royal Court theatre, HWC797, UrbanImages :)
04/02/2018, UK, Observer, p35, Roscommon in Ireland, BNC6T0, AlanWrigley
04/02/2018, UK, Observer, p50, illustration of human brain, credited to Sebastian Kaulitzki/Alamy but I can't find the exact one
04/02/2018, UK, Observer, p52, woman running, credited to Alamy but I can't find it
04/02/2018, UK, Observer, p54, Bremen Town Musicians statue, HN4NY9, Oliver Hoffmann [Cropped. RF & no credit - poss not new sale via Alamy]
04/02/2018, UK, Observer, p60, Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital, KC28Y9, roger ashford [Alamy credit only]
04/02/2018, UK, Observer, p65, worried senior man using mobile, H68YHT, Wavebreakmedia Ltd PH87 [Alamy credit only]
04/02/2018, UK, Observer [Magazine], p39, raspberries growing, JEFX3K, HoleInTheBox [Alamy credit only]
04/02/2018, UK, Observer [Magazine], p39, raspberries, C5JJK4, Valentyn Volkov [Cropped. Alamy credit only]
04/02/2018, UK, Observer [Magazine], p42, octopus drying in the sun outside a restaurant at Poros, BD321D, Jeff Morgan 02 [Alamy credit only]
04/02/2018, UK, Observer [Review section], p46, Evelina Haverfield and Emmeline Pankhurst, H5B48W, History collection 2016 [Alamy credit only]
04/02/2018, UK, Observer [Review section], p53, Gay's the Word bookshop, GFPJDH, Vera Janev [Cropped. No credit - poss not via Alamy]

7 hours ago, spacecadet said:

This brings to mind one of my favourite quotes:

"From the point of view of the natives, it's the tourists who are picturesque."

-Eduardo Galeano

Sorry to veer off-topic, again. B)

9 hours ago, spacecadet said:

I don't travel for images and about 40% of my sales by volume are non-UK, but for many of those the fact that they're my foreign sales is almost irrelevant. Their character is a bit (but only a bit) different, because we tend to go where at least some tourists go, but many aren't "travel" images in the usual sense and a good number are licenced in the respective country for domestic consumption. I just happen to have got the sale ahead of a local photographer.

So from one point of view, maybe half of my "overseas" sales aren't really overseas at all.

I don't doubt it's your experience Mark, but it's not mine. Every portfolio is different.

You piqued my curiosity so I checked my statistics. Here are a few intercontinental sales (from/to/subject):

France to South Africa (ladybird)

Guyana to US (manatee)

Brazil  to US (rubbish in river)

South Africa to US (bird)

Costa Rica to US (spider, lifestyle)

Finland to ‘Europe’ (Santa Claus village)

Panama to US (lifestyle)

Bolivia to Czek (landscape)

In total, I sold pix from 23 countries to 52 different buyer's countries. Although the latter is taken from Alamy reporting buyer's 'country' which can be hazy.

Further analysis shows that generally, shots from the UK are sold to the UK and Oz to Oz.

It is also good news that I seem to be licensing more and more pix to the US where prices are higher.

As for the UK being exotic to me, it's generally the answer I give to the million dollar question people ask me 'Where is home?'. 28 years in the UK, still have my property there. Unfortunately only temporarily in Oz to my greatest chagrin.

Gen

1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

This brings to mind one of my favourite quotes:

"From the point of view of the natives, it's the tourists who are picturesque."

-Eduardo Galeano

Sorry to veer off-topic, again. B)

Absolutely. It struck me straight away when AlbertSnapper mentioned 'exotic'. I wasn't sure what he meant by that. I nearly put it between quotes in my reply.

I visited a monkey sanctuary in Borneo recently. The proboscis monkeys were all lined up looking at us. We were joking that they were thinking 'oh, we haven't seen a Brit or a German recently...'

Totally agree.

Gen

Cheers Andy and Kay!

Times 5th

EJX45X Paul Williams - FunkyStock   Stonehenge, Neolithic ancient standing stone circle monument, UNESCO World Heritage Site, Wiltshire, England, United Kingdom

D1HET3   Katrina Brown  Old Retro Vintage Audio Cassette Tape Add Your Text

AJW1KN  andrew sadler   An array of garden flowers at garden organic, ryton, warwickshire

Scottish Edition

BWWEP3    FLPA   Hen Harrier Circus cyaneus

Business

Ken Biggs Royal Liverpool Hospital construction - can't find it, lapsed live news?

KNRBJN   Rod Varley Closed Pub, The Stile Inn, 163 University Road, Southampton, Hampshire Burgess Road, Southampton, England, University Campus, CLOSED

GD5YP6    Richard Chivers/VIEW  Interior view of lounge room. 76 Dean Street, London, United Kingdom. Architect: SODA., 2016

7 hours ago, funkyworm said:

100+ searches with the word "abroad" in the last year. "Abroad" being... ?

Yup, AIM categories Travel and Transport - in the eyes of the beholder perhaps.

10 hours ago, funkyworm said:

100+ searches with the word "abroad" in the last year. "Abroad" being... ?

A famous (maybe apocryphal?) newspaper headline was 'Fog in the Channel, Continent cut off''.

We all seem to live in a pre-Copernican age, when all the planets revolve around us:)

05/02/2018, UK, Guardian, p2, Save the NHS march, M21DG8, Ink Drop [via Live News]
05/02/2018, UK, Guardian, p3, 2017 gambling exhibition at Excel, HMXPH5, amer ghazzal [Alamy credit only]
05/02/2018, UK, Guardian, p4, man arrested for threats to Lana Del Rey, M21E20, Paul Hennessy [Alamy credit only]
05/02/2018, UK, Guardian, p4, Lana Del Rey, credited to Alamy but I can't find it on Alamy
05/02/2018, UK, Guardian, p4, graduation day at Aberystwyth University, E8MD99, aberCPC [Alamy credit only]
05/02/2018, UK, Guardian [Journal section], p1, older couple looking in estate agent's window, DYDF1K, Nigel Kirby/LOOP IMAGES [Alamy credit only]
05/02/2018, UK, Guardian G2, p6, schoolboy rugby, AKABA4, Hugh Threlfall [Alamy credit only]
05/02/2018, UK, Guardian G2, p10, Bibi Andersson and Liv Ullmann, F4PPXP,  ScreenProd / Photononstop [Alamy credit only]

On 2/4/2018 at 12:40, DDoug said:

National Geographic / Travel
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/travel/world-heritage/victoria-falls/
Soar Above One of the Most Awe-Inspiring Waterfalls on Earth

White water rafting on the Zambesi River at the Victoria Falls bridge, Zambia side; adventure holiday travel
DGR432 (or similar) Kumar Sriskandan RM

Thanks for the spot DDoug! They have used that one before.

Kind regards

Kumar (the Doc one)

5 hours ago, John Morrison said:

A famous (maybe apocryphal?) newspaper headline was 'Fog in the Channel, Continent cut off''.

We all seem to live in a pre-Copernican age, when all the planets revolve around us:)

The Self and Others was first published  in 1961. Maybe time for a re-read with the knowledge of today.

;-)

Here's a play on that. I admit it's one of my own I just found:

http://masshumanities.org/event/EV_180131013400/

Click view image to view a larger size.

I like the use a lot. It's the first time it has sold. - Presentation or newsletter use.

Funny one can feel satisfied more because of an inventive use like this, than one of those Marketing package - Large business. With $199 not to sneeze on btw.

The main page does use more stock imagery, but it's mostly impossible to find a credit, because almost all are these historic images that appear exactly the same in the hundreds here and elsewhere. But have a look, you might find more presentation uses here. (I found some, but not from Alamy.)

wim

DYDF1K, Nigel Kirby

Thanks for spot Steve

Guardian Online  05/02/18

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/feb/05/brexit-immigration-white-paper-uk-businesses-delay
J65XP8     Guy Corbishley     The Home Office UK Visas & Immigration Office at Lunar House in Croydon, London, UK

Guardian Online  05/02/18

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/feb/05/why-not-get-rid-copper-coins
BM92PE    Miles Davies    Small change photographed in studio on a plain background
https://www.theguardian.com/money/2018/feb/05/delay-buying-home-brexit-prices
A55C3R     IS870  Image Source   Person putting key in keyhole
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/feb/05/is-your-child-at-risk-of-brain-injury-from-playing-football-or-rugby
AKABA4    Hugh Threlfall     boys rugger scrum
https://www.theguardian.com/money/2018/feb/05/money-club-fees-rolling-membership
H68YHT    Wavebreakmedia Ltd PH87     Tensed senior man talking on mobile phone

Sun online, weather pix, 5th Feb 18

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5494036/uk-weather-forecast-snow-britain-this-week-temperatures-latest/

M259RW.jpg

M259TY.jpg

Both above - Sussex Camera, Hastings

M259K8.jpg

M25BCA.jpg

Both above, Carolyn Clarke, Hastings

M2592W.jpg

Paul Biggins, New Forest

M25984.jpg

Guy Corbishley, London

And this, can't find, I suspect currently hiding somewhere between Live News drop out and full image search ...

nintchdbpict000382861176.jpg?strip=all&w

Archived