27 minutes ago, Marb said:

Thanks. Do you think my keywords ore ok ? Whenever I search for my images they always seem to come up on the front pages.

If your pics are coming up on the first page of a search then you're doing good.  I always add 'copy space' to any image which has copy space, it might swing a decision.  I haven't had a proper look at your pics.  What LawrensonPhoto says makes sense.

5 minutes ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

I'm very plain and simple when it comes to telling the truth, but that's how I decided that the images I had been uploading from January to October were just plain sh*t (with a couple of exceptions) and decided to do something about it.

"Plain and simple" talk often comes disguised as aggressive and sardonic. I don't take holiday type snaps and like to take time editing, composing images. I sell images every day on microstock sites that have high standards. If you upload hundreds and hundreds of similar images of one event/subject the stats say you will probably get more sales but because a photo doesn't sell doesn't mean it's c**p

54 minutes ago, Marb said:

Whenever I search for my images they always seem to come up on the front pages.

You may be experiencing 'confirmation bias' there.

"people tend to seek out information that confirms their existing opinions and overlook or ignore information that refutes their beliefs. Confirmation bias occurs when people filter out potentially useful facts and opinions that don't coincide with their preconceived notions."

km

30 minutes ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

Doesn't mean jack squat if nobody is buying them. So that must mean their are better images to choose from.

28 minutes ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

But it does mean his keywording is good :D

10 minutes ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

Carry on fella, one less competitor :huh:

Wow!  No need for the rudeness...

4 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

Wow!  No need for the rudeness...

I know, I thought it was just me. It's usually the ones throwing stones here that aim from within a glass house. I have never know a more hostile forum than here. 

Right, better not waste a moment more. Off to take thousands of snaps to make me a better photographer.

1 minute ago, Brasilnut said:

I find this to be one of the more friendly / helpful forums,  :) 

Quite so.

But there are only so many ways you can give the same well-meant advice especially if it seems that it's being ignored. This is a professional forum, not a ladies' college.

9 minutes ago, Brasilnut said:

I find this to be one of the more friendly / helpful forums, but that's just my opinion :) 

34 minutes ago, Marb said:

I know, I thought it was just me. It's usually the ones throwing stones here that aim from within a glass house. I have never know a more hostile forum than here. 

Hostile? I sometimes find it too sugary and sweet. 

44 minutes ago, Marb said:

Right, better not waste a moment more. Off to take thousands of snaps to make me a better photographer.

Marb, you have some good images, I know you were being sarcastic saying off to take thousands of 'snaps', but that is the way to go. Keep uploading lots of good, varied, high quality and well tagged images and sales will come. It's a slow process, but moaning about it all the time doesn't help your situation. You are constantly given well meaning advice by people far more experienced than me, but for what it's worth, I suggest you take heed of that advice.

Best of luck.

John.

2 hours ago, Marb said:

Thanks. Do you think my keywords ore ok ? Whenever I search for my images they always seem to come up on the front pages.

That's a good sign.  But what also really matters is if customers are looking for those topics.  Have you checked All of Alamy to see if the subjects you photograph and submit are being searched for by customers? 

It can take a while for sales to show up after you've submitted the images.  Of all my sales in 2017, I think only one of them was taken in 2017.  The rest were from previous years.

Maria

34 minutes ago, Stokie said:

Marb, you have some good images, I know you were being sarcastic saying off to take thousands of 'snaps', but that is the way to go. Keep uploading lots of good, varied, high quality and well tagged images and sales will come. It's a slow process, but moaning about it all the time doesn't help your situation. You are constantly given well meaning advice by people far more experienced than me, but for what it's worth, I suggest you take heed of that advice.

Best of luck.

John.

Thanks John. I know, I shouldn't have bitten and said that. Playground stuff but I know what you mean and thanks for the advice of which doesn't go unheeded from well meaning folk here.

6 minutes ago, MariaJ said:

That's a good sign.  But what also really matters is if customers are looking for those topics.  Have you checked All of Alamy to see if the subjects you photograph and submit are being searched for by customers? 

It can take a while for sales to show up after you've submitted the images.  Of all my sales in 2017, I think only one of them was taken in 2017.  The rest were from previous years.

Maria

Thanks Maria, I will have a look at what customers are looking for and bear in mind when I next go out.

January was strange for me, low number of sales, but not bad value, and nice to see that the much maligned Sun newspaper at least still pays reasonable prices for live news images.
As usual, I must try harder.

4 hours ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

Doesn't mean jack squat if nobody is buying them. So that must mean their are better images to choose from.

Or that the buyers aren't looking for these subjects, which to some extent seems to explain my poor sales (looking at AoA). Not saying for a moment that I shouldn't work harder to improve quality.

16 hours ago, Marb said:

Ziltch. Nowt. Zero. Squat diddly. Continually adding images is futile. Very depressing.

You've got good/interesting images. Be patient. I'm finding that time is a major factor. Imagine someone writing a book. They may select and download images and write the text, but it can take ages (years) to complete the book (drafts, edits, rewrites, proof reading etc). In many cases the images won't actually be licensed/invoiced until the date at which book is actually published, which may be months or even years after the images were selected.

Mark

1 minute ago, M.Chapman said:

You've got good/interesting images. Be patient. I'm finding that time is a major factor. Imagine someone writing a book. They may select and download images and write the text, but it can take ages (years) to complete the book (drafts, edits, rewrites, proof reading etc). In many cases the images won't actually be licensed/invoiced until the date at which book is actually published, which may be months or even years after the images were selected.

Mark

Thanks Mark. That makes sense I suppose.

14 hours ago, Marb said:

Be ruthless when you search for your own images.... “abandoned Ford Capri” your image is front page, but “abandoned car” I don’t see you image. Realistically that image is competing in the latter search as an editor looking to illustrate an article with an abandoned car image proabably won’t be interested in the make and model.

Have a try with some generic terms to find your images, I found that a useful process.

On 2/2/2018 at 10:26, spacecadet said:

Quite so.

But there are only so many ways you can give the same well-meant advice especially if it seems that it's being ignored. This is a professional forum, not a ladies' college.

Congratulations. You decided that a "ladies college" is the antithesis of a "professional forum"... without being red-starred. :unsure:

Archived