11 minutes ago, Rick Lewis said:

Well, @M.Chapman, @MDM, I don't know what I can do about it.  I can't afford a second display and my old one is just not up to snuff any longer.  I'll just do my best.

I do have to laugh at myself though.  Within a week of getting the new iMac I also purchased a new Olympus E-M1 MkII with a 24-80mm (equiv) lens.  (I really needed the IBIS in that camera and it is so small I can take it anywhere.)  I was process some images in Capture One Pro a couple of days ago and was just marveling at how sharp and crisp the images were coming from my new camera.  :P  Jokes on me!!  :D    Thanks to you guys and @Allan Bell for pointing this out to me.  Maybe I'll save my pennies for a new display for next year.

Rick

It's not so bad really. I'm sure you will be very happy with the new Mac. I'm just fussy, my eyes tire easily and I'll argue amiably about almost anything just for the sake of it. If you do find $600 behind the couch though, then the BenQ SW2700PT 27 inch wide gamut monitor is excellent value. I love a two monitor setup anyway. Once you do it, it's hard to go back to one.

10 hours ago, MDM said:

We've had this conversation before and we will probably have it again but it's fine because it is absolutely amiable :). I don't have any quantitative arguments at the ready although they may exist but I am going purely on visuals as well as memory so it is subjective and I don't have a non-retina Mac to compare. I use a 27" wide gamut monitor which is what I am using for comparison. In fact I don't have access to an iMac at all now as my son has a 5K iMac but has taken it off to uni with him so I am going on memory as well as having the 13" Retina screen at the same native resolution more or less as a 27" 5K iMac. I actually don't like the Retina screens at all for editing or anything else as they really tire my eyes because of the ultra high resolution. I also find it much more difficult to see noise and image details on the glossy Retina screens either at 100% or 200%. I much prefer a matte screen.

FInally I recall when we had this conversation before Duncan Andison who is certainly a knowledgeable power user also joined in with the same opinion as myself - 100% at 2560 is better than 200% at 5K. But I can't currently prove it. Maybe if Duncan is around he can give a more quantitative argument.

Thanks for clarifying... I wondered if there was something fundamental I'd missed. Although I said that 200% on 5K is "pretty much equivalent" to 100% on a 2560, I agree that the rendering of images at 100% on 2560 does somehow look "cleaner".  But... on a 5k display with tiny individual pixels that can't be seen from normal viewing distances, then checking at 200% is probably the best option for Alamy QC. :)

17 hours ago, Rick Lewis said:

@M.Chapman & @Allan Bell, will it make a difference if I go into those display preferences and change the text size one step up?  I makes a huge difference in ease of reading on the screen.  It could be my eyes but it does look like when I go to 200% in PS (with a little larger text size) it is a little more degraded than when in the default text size.  (the default text size seems tiny to me)  :-)

Rick

I'm sorry Rick but I cannot comment on that question as I do not have experience in using a "Retina" screen.

The information I was giving you was from what I have read or comments from others I have seen on the forums, (not just Alamy forums), in relation to image processing only for a possible future upgrade, but that is well into the future as I am very happy with my setup at present. Except for maybe increasing RAM capacity in the nearer future.

I have no experience of trying to read text on a "Retina" screen.

Allan

1 hour ago, M.Chapman said:

Thanks for clarifying... I wondered if there was something fundamental I'd missed. Although I said that 200% on 5K is "pretty much equivalent" to 100% on a 2560, I agree that the rendering of images at 100% on 2560 does somehow look "cleaner".  But... on a 5k display with tiny individual pixels that can't be seen from normal viewing distances, then checking at 200% is probably the best option for Alamy QC. :)

Yes it definitely is the best option. It's not possible to tell for sure if an image is really sharp at 100% on the Retina screens at native resolution. The other option is to use a lower non-native display resolution but this is not ideal either.

Thanks everyone, I've been a bit busy, but there is a lot of info to mull over and I'll have a few more questions, once I've done so!

Another one though, is what about my Lightroom back ups, with the current Adobe pay monthly photo subscription, is there anything I should be aware of?

Many Thanks

Chris 

31 minutes ago, ChrisC said:

Thanks everyone, I've been a bit busy, but there is a lot of info to mull over and I'll have a few more questions, once I've done so!

Another one though, is what about my Lightroom back ups, with the current Adobe pay monthly photo subscription, is there anything I should be aware of?

Many Thanks

Chris 

You can use either Win or Mac versions within the constraints of the deal - you can't have it activated on more than 2 computers at any one time. I don't know if there are any cross platform compatibility issues with back ups of the catalog but I doubt it. In any case if you do decide to go Mac, then you probably won't be using the Win version any longer anyway. The Lightroom Forums are a very good resource if you have doubts on this or other questions you might not get answered here. 

6 hours ago, ChrisC said:

Many Thanks

Chris 

When I swapped from Windows LR to Mac LR, I didn't have a LR catalog that needed to be transferred, but I did transfer my develop presets and camera calibration files without problems.  It's nice when the term of software licence allows Mac or Windows usage. It's something thing Adobe have got right, unlike my Microsoft  Office 2012 :(

Mark

On a side note, Macs do crash and there are occasional lemons. I had a 1998 Powerbook that was recalled when it was only a few months old because the case was cracking. Apple send a prepaid shipping box and it was returned to me about a week later. Then there were other issues. All in all it went back to Apple about three times under a special Extended Warranty. Eventually they sent me a voucher for $500 off on a new computer.

Most new Macs aren't user upgradeable but they can be upgraded by an Apple Authorized Repair shop. One local  shop ( which unfortunately has gone out of business recently) had a deal where they would max out the RAM and hard drive for a flat $200.

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

Was that the one on 14th Street, Stacy?  

This iMac I'm using had a faulty HD at the start, but they replaced it in the Soho Apple store on the warranty. 

Was there one on 14th Street? I was talking about TekServe on West 23rd Street. I miss them. I was not happy about my last visit to the Genius Bar for my iPhone.

Swapping the hard drive in an iMac is a major pain. I had either a 2007 or a 2009 where the drive was deep inside the computer and the screen has to be removed with suction cups. Then there are several layers of components that have to also be removed. There are instructions online but it's not for beginners.

AppleCare to extend the warranty is a good choice. I'll have to remember to buy it before the one year warranty runs out on my current computer.

EDIT: Looks like I missed the AppleCare deadline. They now expect you to purchase AppleCare within 60 days of buying a new Mac.

I thought TekServe was going to continue services but without the store but all I can find now is this....http://www.t2computing.com/tekserve-enterprise/  There is nothing about where it is or how to get their services -- unless I have missed something. The Genius Bar can be wonderful or only so-so. My experience with AppleCare has been good -- including getting an emergency appointment before a big trip when I couldn't get one in the ordinary way online.

Paulette

Yeah, Tekserve is who I was thinking of, but I had the street wrong. They used to give away gear for the annual WNYC drives, right? 

I will try to continue using Macs, but I do have a number of issues with Apple. To be overly fair, their huge success with the iPhone has caused them to get in their own way. Best Buy sells Apple stuff. Unfortunately they only employ idiots.  And the geniuses seem to have left the Genius Bar. 

Sorry, Paulette. Google has them "permanently close." 

I couldn't charge my iPhone 6s and discovered I couldn't make a Genius Bar appointment for my iPhone online with my computer. So I resorted to the old fashioned way and called the Soho Apple Store. They gave me an appointment for the next day. I thought I needed a new battery.

The Genius quickly cleaned the port but it still wouldn't charge so he surmised it was damaged. I took it home, cleaned it about three times as long, and it finally charged. Now, about a month later it's as good as it was but I still think I need a new battery. Fortunately they've lowered the price of battery replacement.

14 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Yeah, Tekserve is who I was thinking of, but I had the street wrong. They used to give away gear for the annual WNYC drives, right? 

I will try to continue using Macs, but I do have a number of issues with Apple. To be overly fair, their huge success with the iPhone has caused them to get in their own way. Best Buy sells Apple stuff. Unfortunately they only employ idiots.  And the geniuses seem to have left the Genius Bar. 

Sorry, Paulette. Google has them "permanently close." 

I had been going to TekServe long before Apple opened a store in New York. When I was working for a group of community papers back in the 80s. They were the one who serviced the company Macs. They also did a couple of free repairs for me, while I waited, and there was that 10 cent coke machine.  ;)  

I don't remember the WNYC drives but I do remember the recycling events where you'd get a $50 off coupon and free mouse pads for recycling. Now if I want to recycle electronics I have to haul them over to the Lower East Side or wait for the City to hold their yearly recycling event in Union Square.

Archived