Just now, John Richmond said:

Actually difficult to tell between a Zinnia and a pot marigold (Calendula) from the photo.  In the UK I'd say Calendula but for your hotter summers Zinnia would be a more likely option.

Thanks, John. I don't want to be a purveyor of fake flower news, but Zinnia seems a safer bet to me.

The marigolds we see here tend to be the small Mexican variety with quite delicate leaves. This was quite a large bloom, several inches across.

1 hour ago, Reimar said:

Judging by the leaves, I would stick with zinnia.  Most marigolds have just too finely cut leaves for a match.  But hey, I'm no horticulturist, so I hate to go against Geoff.

I believe that you are probably thinking of the French and African marigold here, both of which are Tagetes the English marigold is a Calendula which has leaves somewhat similar to Zinnia.  

I do though agree that this is a Zinnia.  Petals of Calendula tend to have small double notch at the end while Zinnia are rounded.  The leaves of Zinnia are in pairs one each side of the stem and they hug closely to the stem while Calendula leaves are usually thinner where they join the stalk and not usually in pairs.  

Not sure however if it is 'Magellan Orange' as there are other double orange Zinnias that look similar, and some mixed colour varieties that include orange.

37 minutes ago, Chris Burrows said:

I believe that you are probably thinking of the French and African marigold here, both of which are Tagetes the English marigold is a Calendula which has leaves somewhat similar to Zinnia.  

I do though agree that this is a Zinnia.  Petals of Calendula tend to have small double notch at the end while Zinnia are rounded.  The leaves of Zinnia are in pairs one each side of the stem and they hug closely to the stem while Calendula leaves are usually thinner where they join the stalk and not usually in pairs.  

Not sure however if it is 'Magellan Orange' as there are other double orange Zinnias that look similar, and some mixed colour varieties that include orange.

In online images, I noticed the notches that you mention on the Calendula petals. Perhaps I'll just call this an "orange Zinnia" (and forget the "Magellan")?

2 hours ago, funkyworm said:

Tip van Flip for taking stock photos of flowers. 1. Look for a label with the name on it. 2. Take photo of label 3. Take next photos of flower. 4. Corroberate online that the label is for that particular specimen. 5. When in doubt, leave it out.

+1

11 hours ago, funkyworm said:

Tip van Flip for taking stock photos of flowers. 1. Look for a label with the name on it. 2. Take photo of label 3. Take next photos of flower. 4. Corroberate online that the label is for that particular specimen. 5. When in doubt, leave it out.

Sage advice. I photograph labels whenever possible. Flower pics are usually just passing fancies for me, though. I'm more inclined to smell the roses than name them. B)

Archived