Alamy

The $100,000+ club

52 minutes ago, Colin Woods said:

awesome Wim. In the $100k club with 2500 photos. We are not worthy.

Come on Colin you must be outselling me for a couple of years now.

Anyway thanks!

wim

A 'metric' that would be of great interest to me is how many hours a week the elite contributors put in. I do believe I can be more effective with what time I have, but suspect I won't be able to ramp up to the submission volumes these guys have achieved until retirement...

2 hours ago, British Gent said:

A 'metric' that would be of great interest to me is how many hours a week the elite contributors put in. I do believe I can be more effective with what time I have, but suspect I won't be able to ramp up to the submission volumes these guys have achieved until retirement...

There are people in that 'club' with wildly differing amounts of images. Different routes, different styles, different types of photography and certainly different types of processing. 

But I think that most 'members' have been doing it for quite a few years and that it is much harder now to gain traction from a  standing start given the massive competition.

As a former member of the forum used to say if you want to succeed in stock start off by submitting 10,000 saleable images.! ;)

Edited by geogphotos

2 hours ago, geogphotos said:

There are people in that 'club' with wildly differing amounts of images. Different routes, different styles, different types of photography and certainly different types of processing. 

But I think that most 'members' have been doing it for quite a few years and that it is much harder now to gain traction from a  standing start given the massive competition.

As a former member of the forum used to say if you want to succeed in stock start off by submitting 10,000 saleable images.! ;)

You make an interesting case study for the 100K club. With 58,000 images currently, yet your earnings peaked in 2006. So you were earning far more then from a small fraction of the images you have today. 

10 minutes ago, andremichel said:

You make an interesting case study for the 100K club. With 58,000 images currently, yet your earnings peaked in 2006. So you were earning far more then from a small fraction of the images you have today. 

And would have earned even less if I had not continued to add images. 

As far as I can gather Alamy's revenue went down about 50% from reaching a peak of around $30 million just before the crash in 2007-2008. 

I000080P22bO0lNs.jpg

Edited by geogphotos

18 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

And would have earned even less if I had not continued to add images. 

As far as I can gather Alamy's revenue went down about 50% from reaching a peak of around $30 million just before the crash in 2007-2008. 

I000080P22bO0lNs.jpg

Your Sales Volume chart above shows you more than doubling sales since 2016. Its your revenues chart (from the "2017" thread) that tells a different story. 

Just now, andremichel said:

Your Sales Volume chart above shows you more than doubling sales since 2016. Its your revenues chart (from the "2017" thread) that tells a different story. 

Indeed but not sure of your point. Fees have fallen but the number of sales has increased, but so has the number of competing images. The graph also helps explain the reason why I stopped being Alamy-exclusive around 2008. 

As I said above it is much harder to gain traction now than it was. Not sure if that is the message Alamy hopes to broadcast when it blogs about the $100,000 club but that is my experience.

2 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Indeed but not sure of your point. Fees have fallen but the number of sales has increased, but so has the number of competing images. The graph also helps explain the reason why I stopped being Alamy-exclusive around 2008. 

As I said above it is much harder to gain traction now than it was. Not sure if that is the message Alamy hopes to broadcast when it blogs about the $100,000 club but that is my experience.

I guess my point is that the 100K club is a historical record of success and no way reflects what can be achieved today. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, andremichel said:

I guess my point is that the 100K club is a historical record of success and no way reflects what can be achieved today. 

Sort of what I said above except I didn't say it was impossible just far more difficult to achieve over the same sort of time-span, and with the same number of images, than in the past. At least for my sort of editorial, illustrative stuff. Maybe a better chance with more creative images, I just don't know.

Not surprising though that Alamy would choose to highlight success stories in its blog posts as it is always trying to attract new contributors.

Edited by geogphotos

21 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Sort of what I said above except I didn't say it was impossible just far more difficult to achieve over the same sort of time-span, and with the same number of images, than in the past. At least for my sort of editorial, illustrative stuff. Maybe a better chance with more creative images, I just don't know.

I'm hoping that it is still achievable even with a relatively small collection. I started submitting in 2007 and am currently at almost $68K (gross). At my current rate of earnings, assuming that prices don't totally collapse, I conceivably could join "the club" in four to five years, sooner perhaps if I manage to significantly up the number of new images that I add every year. I currently upload under 1000 annually.

3 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

I'm hoping that it is still achievable even with a relatively small collection. I started submitting in 2007 and am currently at almost $68K (gross). At my current rate of earnings, assuming that prices don't totally collapse, I conceivably could join "the club" in four to five years, sooner perhaps if I manage to significantly up the number of new images that I add every year. I currently upload under 1000 annually.

I joined in 2010 and have only achieved just under $31,000 gross. At the current rate, it will take me another 11.5 years!

Maybe I am just rubbish or maybe I just joined too late. 

Just now, andremichel said:

I joined in 2010 and have only achieved just under $31,000 gross. At the current rate, it will take me another 11.5 years!

Maybe I am just rubbish or maybe I just joined too late. 

If that's rubbish, I haven't even got a dustpan and brush.

1 minute ago, spacecadet said:

:)

Just passed the $10k mark (this morning) after 4 years on Alamy and 390 sales.  Steadily increasing sales suggest that I'll do better over the next few years but $100k looks like a fairly distant prospect.

• Upvote 1

Wonder what I am doing wrong??

A bit disheartened.

Allan

On 28/02/2018 at 11:23, spacecadet said:

What he said.

It took me nine years to get 467 images uploaded, but I've nearly doubled that in the first three months of this year - partly as a result of reading this thread and realising I needed to get my *rse in gear. The other stimulus was starting a run last summer of at least one sale per month which eventually ran out in March. I guess it's finally dawned on me that there's an element of control in all of this. If I work consistently and upload a far larger quantity of diverse images, I CAN increase sales. But the folk on here putting the word 'only' in front of five figure numbers still takes my breath away!

If things continue as they are my descendants might see the $100k target achieved.....

Extrapolating forward from last year (a dangerous thing to do), it would take me another 10 years to hit the jackpot, Alamy and I may or may not still be around :unsure:

That blog includes David Kilpatrick as a $100,000 earner. Nice to see. He was a wonderful contributor to the forum before he got too busy. Maybe one day he will return.

Paulette

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Agreed Paulette. He was one of those whose contributions were always worth reading. I learnt a lot from him. 

It's seems this club is open only to contributors from UK and USA !

19 minutes ago, ernest said:

It's seems this club is open only to contributors from UK and USA !

Not quite... but it does help if you are catering to their main markets.