The $100,000+ club

Alamy

42 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

I decided to have a look at how many of our photographers have made at least $100,000 worth of sales on Alamy alone, and my list ran into several hundred, many of which have actually made several hundred thousand dollars worth of sales (but I’ll stick to calling this the $100+k club as it has a nice ring to it).

So it sounds like Gross sales

If it is gross, I'm surprised only a few hundred out of 60,000 contributors have made $50,000 plus net, given so many have been contributing for over 10 years. 

On 1/30/2018 at 14:16, geogphotos said:

It would be interesting to know something about how long/how quickly some contributors have reached this level of sales. 

13 years.

And you?

wim

48 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

9 years.

More what I was thinking was how much harder it must be to do so now.

How it would take longer starting from zero images to get $100k sales than it did in the past.

Hi Ian,

I just had my first sale so I’ll start the timer and let you know when i hit $100k. Don’t hold your breath. 😉

Angela

1 hour ago, geogphotos said:

Best of luck! :D

Perhaps I better edit that 'best of luck' now that I've seen where you pics are of! 

I spotted the Kesgrave Jubilee hall straight away but lots of other familiar places. 

Congratulations on your first sale!

Thanks 😄. Looking at some of your recent stuff (aviation heritage museum, Ipswich docks) I’m surprised we havent bumped into each other.  I’ll be looking out for you now!

14 hours ago, geogphotos said:

9 years.

More what I was thinking was how much harder it must be to do so now.

How it would take longer starting from zero images to get $100k sales than it did in the past.

Compare your current RPI with what it was a couple of years after you started here (2005), and it will give you a clue of the up hill climb faced by newbies. 

I wonder if there are more than a handful of $100,000 clubbers amongst those that joined Alamy after 2008.

26 minutes ago, Matt Ashmore said:

You'll be featured in the 4th blog??? :D

Ha Ha! Doubt it Matt - there are many other more high-profile contributors than me!

Kumar (the doc one)

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/30/2018 at 05:24, geogphotos said:

I decided to have a look at how many of our photographers have made at least $100,000 worth of sales on Alamy alone, and my list ran into several hundred, many of which have actually made several hundred thousand dollars worth of sales (but I’ll stick to calling this the $100+k club as it has a nice ring to it).

So it sounds like Gross sales

where do you find this information?

A 'metric' that would be of great interest to me is how many hours a week the elite contributors put in. I do believe I can be more effective with what time I have, but suspect I won't be able to ramp up to the submission volumes these guys have achieved until retirement...

2 hours ago, geogphotos said:

There are people in that 'club' with wildly differing amounts of images. Different routes, different styles, different types of photography and certainly different types of processing. 

But I think that most 'members' have been doing it for quite a few years and that it is much harder now to gain traction from a  standing start given the massive competition.

As a former member of the forum used to say if you want to succeed in stock start off by submitting 10,000 saleable images.! ;)

You make an interesting case study for the 100K club. With 58,000 images currently, yet your earnings peaked in 2006. So you were earning far more then from a small fraction of the images you have today. 

18 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

And would have earned even less if I had not continued to add images. 

As far as I can gather Alamy's revenue went down about 50% from reaching a peak of around $30 million just before the crash in 2007-2008. 

I000080P22bO0lNs.jpg

Your Sales Volume chart above shows you more than doubling sales since 2016. Its your revenues chart (from the "2017" thread) that tells a different story. 

2 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Indeed but not sure of your point. Fees have fallen but the number of sales has increased, but so has the number of competing images. The graph also helps explain the reason why I stopped being Alamy-exclusive around 2008. 

As I said above it is much harder to gain traction now than it was. Not sure if that is the message Alamy hopes to broadcast when it blogs about the $100,000 club but that is my experience.

I guess my point is that the 100K club is a historical record of success and no way reflects what can be achieved today. 

21 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Sort of what I said above except I didn't say it was impossible just far more difficult to achieve over the same sort of time-span, and with the same number of images, than in the past. At least for my sort of editorial, illustrative stuff. Maybe a better chance with more creative images, I just don't know.

I'm hoping that it is still achievable even with a relatively small collection. I started submitting in 2007 and am currently at almost $68K (gross). At my current rate of earnings, assuming that prices don't totally collapse, I conceivably could join "the club" in four to five years, sooner perhaps if I manage to significantly up the number of new images that I add every year. I currently upload under 1000 annually.

3 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

I'm hoping that it is still achievable even with a relatively small collection. I started submitting in 2007 and am currently at almost $68K (gross). At my current rate of earnings, assuming that prices don't totally collapse, I conceivably could join "the club" in four to five years, sooner perhaps if I manage to significantly up the number of new images that I add every year. I currently upload under 1000 annually.

I joined in 2010 and have only achieved just under $31,000 gross. At the current rate, it will take me another 11.5 years!

Maybe I am just rubbish or maybe I just joined too late. 

Just now, andremichel said:

I joined in 2010 and have only achieved just under $31,000 gross. At the current rate, it will take me another 11.5 years!

Maybe I am just rubbish or maybe I just joined too late. 

If that's rubbish, I haven't even got a dustpan and brush.

Archived