More like this pretty please Alamy

Usage: Editorial
Media: Book, print and/or e-book
Print run: up to 50,000
Placement: Inside
Image Size: 1 page
Start: 23 January 2018
End: 23 January 2023
Rights granted for the life of the product for supplementary educational publications and materials. Electronic editions of the products also included. Print Run: 30,000. Title:Satellite Maps

Great to be given the title! Also the print run simply as confirmation that this is in print.

A stock image distributor who deals with agencies worldwide told me the other day that in France it is routine for agencies to supply title and ISBN number in their sales reports. So it is possible.

Helping contributors helps Alamy financially and shows goodwill which also helps Alamy. ie) good business. 

Edited by geogphotos
  • Upvote 1

When I license images to book publishers on my own, I always ask for the title and ISBN (if possible). Getting the title the from clients has never a problem.

10 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

When I license images to book publishers on my own, I always ask for the title and ISBN (if possible). Getting the title the from clients has never a problem.

That has also been my experience - they tell me the title and ISBN  number for my invoice. 

By the stage that they are paying for images they must know these details.

We do pay 50% commission to Alamy so it is a bit much that they then say they'll only let us know this information if we hand over our DACS claim to them.

Unfortunately, we now have a situation where 'agencies' ( I realise that Alamy is isn't strictly an agency) have a conflict of interest between looking after their suppliers and taking more from their suppliers given the opportunity to do so.

Edited by geogphotos
  • Upvote 1

And the there is this which tells you nothing at all really:

Usage: Single company - multiple use editorial only
Industry sector: Media, design & publishing
Start: 24 January 2018
Duration: Unlimited

It is in effect Editorial RF

Edited by geogphotos

An agency that I worked with for over 25 years always supplied book titles and often ISBNs in their sales reports. I was surprised to see that Alamy doesn't.

Sign of the times...

Edited by John Mitchell

14 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

An agency that I worked with for over 25 years always supplied book titles and often ISBNs in their sales reports. I was surprised to see that Alamy doesn't.

Sign of the times...

Usage: Single company - multiple use editorial only
Industry sector: Media, design & publishing
Start: 24 January 2018
Duration: Unlimited

Surely the buyers knows what the initial use is?  

So state book or magazine or digital, then add on other permitted editorial uses within this broad licence.

At least then, if published in UK, this sale can be used for DACs.

I think Alamy's original thinking was to keep photographer and client separate from each other but maybe that needs a re-think? Still impress on contributors not to bother clients but provide the sort of information that is useful to contributors.

Anything that helps contributors keep afloat financially must be a win-win. We can but hope :)

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.