geogphotos

DACs publication history

I just filled out the DACS claim as per the previous year and sent in the Alamy spreadsheet in support of said claim.

Allan

3 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

I just filled out the DACS claim as per the previous year and sent in the Alamy spreadsheet in support of said claim.

Allan

I'm waiting until April before submitting my main DACs claim in case some extra 2017 publications get reported by Alamy by then (the deadline for the main claim is 4th May 2018).

I have however already updated my publication history claim on-line as the deadline for this is quite soon now (12th Feb 2018).

Mark

7 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

I'm waiting until April before submitting my main DACs claim in case some extra 2017 publications get reported by Alamy by then (the deadline for the main claim is 4th May 2018).

I have however already updated my publication history claim on-line as the deadline for this is quite soon now (12th Feb 2018).

Mark

I didn't realize that the deadline for the main claim is May 4th. Sure about that?

5 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I didn't realize that the deadline for the main claim is May 4th. Sure about that?

Yes - The claim for images published up to the end of 2017 should be submitted by May 4th 2018. This is sensible because it takes quite a while for usages to be reported. (It's a shame the same doesn't apply to the publication history claim).

Here's the text from DAC's website.

Claim your share of Payback

How to apply in two steps:

1. Complete your UK Publication History Claim by 12 February 2018

Titles in your publication history are matched against a list of UK photocopied publications. If you get a match, you get royalties!

Important: You can only make a Publication History Claim if you also complete and submit a Payback Claim Form in step 2.

To begin, click on ‘View and Edit Claim’ under Publication History in the right-hand menu to edit or add any new publication titles to complete your form.

2. Submit your Payback Claim Form by 4 May 2018

Submit your Payback Claim for overall number of works published in UK books and magazines up until 31 December 2017. You can also claim for work featured on UK TV programmes broadcast in 2017 only.

Important: While making a Publication History Claim is optional, you must complete and submit a Payback Claim Form to be eligible for any share of Payback royalties.

To update your claim, click ‘edit’ under Your Claim below if you’ve claimed before or click on ‘Claim Now’ to start a new claim. When you are happy with your form, click ‘Submit’. Only claim forms in submitted status will be processed by DACS.

I did mine straight away, but it's possible to  go back and update it before the deadline.

10 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

Yes - The claim for images published up to the end of 2017 should be submitted by May 4th 2018. This is sensible because it takes quite a while for usages to be reported. (It's a shame the same doesn't apply to the publication history claim).

Here's the text from DAC's website.

Claim your share of Payback

How to apply in two steps:

1. Complete your UK Publication History Claim by 12 February 2018

Titles in your publication history are matched against a list of UK photocopied publications. If you get a match, you get royalties!

Important: You can only make a Publication History Claim if you also complete and submit a Payback Claim Form in step 2.

To begin, click on ‘View and Edit Claim’ under Publication History in the right-hand menu to edit or add any new publication titles to complete your form.

2. Submit your Payback Claim Form by 4 May 2018

Submit your Payback Claim for overall number of works published in UK books and magazines up until 31 December 2017. You can also claim for work featured on UK TV programmes broadcast in 2017 only.

Important: While making a Publication History Claim is optional, you must complete and submit a Payback Claim Form to be eligible for any share of Payback royalties.

To update your claim, click ‘edit’ under Your Claim below if you’ve claimed before or click on ‘Claim Now’ to start a new claim. When you are happy with your form, click ‘Submit’. Only claim forms in submitted status will be processed by DACS.

Thanks. No mention of e-mailing an Alamy spreadsheet this year by the looks of it. I'll be doing that anyway.

As Mark says, it's possible to go back and edit one's claim if it has been submitted.

The Alamy spreadsheet thing is peculiar to us. DACS make special arrangements because they know we don't get detailed sales reports from Alamy.

Edited by spacecadet

33 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Thanks. No mention of e-mailing an Alamy spreadsheet this year by the looks of it. I'll be doing that anyway.

Yes, I'll be submitting a spreadsheet too

8 hours ago, spacecadet said:

I did mine straight away, but it's possible to  go back and update it before the deadline.

Good point, I'd forgotten that.

Sorry folks, but I am totally lost reading through all three pages of this thread. Could someone, who has submitted successfully, please list out exactly what has to be submitted to DACS by 12/2? What is an Alamy spreadsheet and how dow I compile it? Last time I submitted in 2014 up to 31/12/2013, I got an Excel file I could download from Alamy. That seems to have disappeared from the Dashboard. Can I submit the same old images that were in my 2014 submission? Sounds odd if you can.

I wish that someone who has done the work would just summarise what was done with references to where the relevant information could be obtained.

Thanks in advance to the person who volunteers to become the 'rescuer'.

16 hours ago, alphaomega said:

Sorry folks, but I am totally lost reading through all three pages of this thread. Could someone, who has submitted successfully, please list out exactly what has to be submitted to DACS by 12/2? What is an Alamy spreadsheet and how dow I compile it? Last time I submitted in 2014 up to 31/12/2013, I got an Excel file I could download from Alamy. That seems to have disappeared from the Dashboard. Can I submit the same old images that were in my 2014 submission? Sounds odd if you can.

I wish that someone who has done the work would just summarise what was done with references to where the relevant information could be obtained.

Thanks in advance to the person who volunteers to become the 'rescuer'.

I'm sure that forum members can help you. First off why not spend 30 minutes or so seeing if you can help yourself my reading through all the information on the DACs site, logging in to make a fresh claim and seeing what needs to be completed.

There are now two elements to the DACs claim. First, where you list books and magazines with title and ISBN/ISSN ( Publication History) to see if you get a match with their records of actual use. This is the part that I found so difficult to find information for and started the thread about. That has the earlier deadline of 12 Feb.

Second you complete a form, as before, giving your total number of uses in books and magazines ( 2 categories) and also for any TV uses in 2017. As you say for print media you can claim back for as long as you can - it is a cumulative total. TV is just for one year.

If you can't get your head around it at all, you can ask Alamy to claim for you. Indeed, they will do so automatically unless you have opted out and will charge you 50% and an admin fee. It is also possible to do the book/mags part yourself and ask Alamy to do the TV element.

Alamy will not do the Publication History unless you hand over the entire claim to them.

Edited by geogphotos
  • Upvote 1

On 04/02/2018 at 17:48, alphaomega said:

Last time I submitted in 2014 up to 31/12/2013, I got an Excel file I could download from Alamy. That seems to have disappeared from the Dashboard. Can I submit the same old images that were in my 2014 submission? Sounds odd if you can.

See "Download sales report" grey button towards top right on the your Alamy dashboard page. Sales for any selected period can then be downloaded as a .CSV file that can be opened in Excel. Yes, images from previous years can be carried forward.

I'd suggest downloading the full report of all your sales. Open it in Excel, then delete everything that's not a UK magazine of Book publication. Count how many publications are left. This will give you the basic info to complete your regular DACs claim on-line. If you know some of the ISBN/ISSN numbers for a few of these sales (these numbers aren't in the Alamy sales report), they can be entered on-line too. If you can't find enough ISSN/ISBN numbers to meet the requirements stated (when you fill in the form), then you may need to email DACs a copy of the Alamy sales report spreadsheet in support of your claim. The regular claim has to be submitted by 14th May 2018.

If you want to make an additional  "Publication History" claim you will need a list of the ISSN or ISBN numbers for as many of your publications as you can find, and enter them on-line at DACs by Feb 12th.

Mark

I do not not understand this new two part claim. What happens if I do not send the publication list and just  complete the usual form listing images that have been used? Do I then get a smaller share than in previous years? If I send a publication list and these match the actual use list do I then get paid twice for the use (since the same image will appear  on my usage list)?I guess my real question is; "Is the photocopy pot new money separate from the payback fund?"

All the information is on the DACs site - important because the ISBN/ISSN pot will increase to 40% in a few years. If you get a match between a use that you list and one that they have recorded then you get an additional payment.

You can still claim without doing the Publication History but will miss out of the 'pot' element. 

THIS FROM DACS website

Publication History Claim
If you submit a Publication History claim, you may get royalties if any of your publication titles are matched by the CLA in their list of UK photocopied publications. In 2017, 1 in 5 images were matched.

For Payback 2018, the Publication History claim is worth 15% of the overall share of royalties for visual artists, last year it was 10%.

This percentage is increasing incrementally over the next five years starting at 10% and stopping in 2021 at 30% for non-education publications and 40% for educational publications that are matched with the CLA’s list of photocopied UK publications:

Royalties received by CLA between 1 January 2016 and 31 December 2016
Education and Non Education: 10% to artistic works that are matched
Royalties received by CLA between 1 January 2017 and 31 December 2017
Education and Non Education: 15% to artistic works that are matched
Royalties received by CLA between 1 January 2018 and 31 December 2018
Education and Non Education: 25% to artistic works that are matched
Royalties received by CLA between 1 January 2019 and 31 December 2019
Education and Non Education: 30% to artistic works that are matched
Royalties received by CLA between 1 January 2020 and 31 December 2020
Education: 65% to available artistic works
  35% to artistic works that are matched
Non Education: 70% to available artistic works
  30% to artistic works that are matched
Royalties received by CLA between 1 January 2021 and 31 December 2021
Education: 60% to available artistic works
  40% to artistic works that are matched
Non Education: 70% to available artistic works
  30% to artistic works that are matched
Edited by geogphotos
  • Upvote 1

Thanks. Weird, I've been looking at that FAQ page on the DACS site - only just noticed this - should have scrolled down the page. :) So they're just dividing the old money up differently and  basically we need ISBNs for all books if we want to maximise our chances of getting a good share. Still don't understand why they've separated it into two claims.They could have just asked us to list all publications instead of just three examples on the main claim form.  ...unless I've misunderstood.

25 minutes ago, JohnB said:

Thanks. Weird, I've been looking at that FAQ page on the DACS site - only just noticed this - should have scrolled down the page. :) So they're just dividing the old money up differently and  basically we need ISBNs for all books if we want to maximise our chances of getting a good share. Still don't understand why they've separated it into two claims.They could have just asked us to list all publications instead of just three examples on the main claim form.  ...unless I've misunderstood.

The change has been forced on DACS. 

Old topic but relevant i hope

Being new to DACS how do I go about finding ISBN numbers for magazines?

Usage: Magazine, any editorial digital use, one time use only
Industry sector: Media, design & publishing
Start: 04 July 2018
End: 04 July 2020

Found the image online, (Third Sector website) https://www.thirdsector.co.uk/about-third-sector

according to wiki, the publication is run by the Haymarket Group

Is there a list of numbers v publications I can search?

TIA

28 minutes ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

Found the image online, (Third Sector website) https://www.thirdsector.co.uk/about-third-sector

TIA

It can be difficult - I bought a mag which used three of my images for an article, two via Alamy, one via Flicker (requested and paid for), but couldn't find the ISBN number anywhere in the mag or on their website.

16 minutes ago, Cryptoprocta said:

It can be difficult - I bought a mag which used three of my images for an article, two via Alamy, one via Flicker (requested and paid for), but couldn't find the ISBN number anywhere in the mag or on their website.

If it's not printed inside, just ask the publisher. Worked for me.

30 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

If it's not printed inside, just ask the publisher. Worked for me.

I did think of that, just thought it a bit odd asking though :lol:

4 minutes ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

I did think of that, just thought it a bit odd asking though :lol:

I just asked, told them why I needed the info, and got a nice reply. After all, I'm a contributor, so they should be well disposed. By coincidence I was a subscriber (CAMRA) bit I didn't mention that.

2 hours ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

TIA

I had a publication in Third Sector Magazine a few years back. According to my investigations at the time, their ISSN number was 1355-6371.

ISSN numbers can be tracked down using either the British Library Catalog here https://www.bl.uk/ or using the ISSN Portal here https://portal.issn.org/

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

24 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

I had a publication in Third Sector Magazine a few years back. According to my investigations at the time, their ISSN number was 1355-6371.

ISSN numbers can be tracked down using either the British Library Catalog here https://www.bl.uk/ or using the ISSN Portal here https://portal.issn.org/

Mark

Brilliant, thanks. Now what do I do with it? :lol:

1 hour ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

Brilliant, thanks. Now what do I do with it? :lol:

ISSN numbers are OK for magazines for DACs claim, ISBNs for books.

Mark

• Like 1