geogphotos

13 month year

Last April my Alamy payment hit my account on 6 April 2017 ie) the first day of the new tax year.

In several other months the payment has arrived before the 6th of a month, once on the 4th. If that happens in April 2018 it will make a 13 month year.

Is there any way of ensuring that the payment comes on the 6th or after for April 2018 or is it just down to chance? 

Edited by geogphotos

You're in luck this year- Easter Monday is the second of April so the fourth working day, when my, and apparently your, payments arrive, is the 6th. I think that's the only thing that can influence it- it's always going to be between the 4th and 6th.

My tax year is Jan-Dec so it doesn't matter. If it costs you- swings and roundabouts probably- I don't think it's a big deal to change your year end.

Edited by spacecadet

31 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

You're in luck this year- Easter Monday is the second of April so the fourth working day, when my, and apparently your, payments arrive, is the 6th. I think that's the only thing that can influence it- it's always going to be between the 4th and 6th.

My tax year is Jan-Dec so it doesn't matter. If it costs you- swings and roundabouts probably- I don't think it's a big deal to change your year end.

Thanks. I may well look into that.

I'm using cash basis accounting but allow myself a few days "grace" either way to keep life simple. My first monthly company phone bill of the year gets direct debited from my Bank account anywhere between 3rd and 7th April, but I always include it in the accounts for the year starting 5th April, so I always get 12 phone bills in the tax year. So long as I make sure I only claim for items once then I figure this is OK.

There are other areas were dates don't match when the cash actually leaves my Bank. For example items I purchase on credit card get included in my accounts on the day I bought the item (therefore matches the receipt) even though I don't actually pay for the item until the credit card bill is due (but maybe that's the way it should be done anyway? :unsure:)

Mark