I always thought that an image can be either RM or RF and if we labelled it as one at a library, we had to stick to the same RM/RF classification if we then sent it to any other library. 

But I just I came across a library that offers images with the option for the buyer to select whether to buy as RF or RM. 

I was surprised to see this. What does everyone think of that?

Andy

How is that different from Alamy?

If a file has been designated RF, buyers can opt to buy it RM.

If a file has been designated RM, perhaps they will be sold with a 'virtually limitless' RM licence, presumably if buyers have requested it.

4 hours ago, andremichel said:

I always thought that an image can be either RM or RF and if we labelled it as one at a library, we had to stick to the same RM/RF classification if we then sent it to any other library. 

I think this is a rule created by well meaning people on photography forums, but not necessarily an agency rule.

9 hours ago, Cryptoprocta said:

How is that different from Alamy?

If a file has been designated RF, buyers can opt to buy it RM.

If a file has been designated RM, perhaps they will be sold with a 'virtually limitless' RM licence, presumably if buyers have requested it.

I expect it is a sign of the times. It wasn't always like this. 

Edited by andremichel