Quality vs Quantity (once again)

In my opinion, it is all about the image.  I am a huge fan of Alamy and again in my own opinion it is all about the image

and the IPTC information.  "Stock" is not an easy way to make a buck or a pound or a yen.  Stock is a way to see a return

on work done over decades. 

6 hours ago, andremichel said:

Why does it show you as joining Alamy in 2006?

Because that's the time when I joined Alamy and uploaded my microstock RF portfolio. Then in 2011 I stopped uploading anything and decided to start uploading again my RM images last November. So I had 6-7 gap at Alamy. 

2 hours ago, Ilya Genkin said:

Because that's the time when I joined Alamy and uploaded my microstock RF portfolio. Then in 2011 I stopped uploading anything and decided to start uploading again my RM images last November. So I had 6-7 gap at Alamy. 

So no track record of success on alamy or ms, yet you critisise other contributors strategies and sales records.

33 minutes ago, andremichel said:

So no track record of success on alamy or ms, yet you critisise other contributors strategies and sales records.

Not even started criticizing :) Just questioned. Huge difference. :) 

Simply because I see people here are so afraid of ms yet following ms approach. That surprises me. 

@geogphotos, I'm sorry to say, but I haven't touched your comment at all. If you got a negative one then someone else did that. You might not believe me (you've got all rights to do so), but it wasn't me. I rather decided not escalate the topic for obvious reasons.

1 hour ago, geogphotos said:

For your information, I distribute non-exclusively 100% RM. I make more money from other sites than I do at Alamy. Deciding some years ago to distribute more widely was the best decision that I ever made.

How did you find these other non exclusive RM libraries that are a good fit for your Alamy images? When I search for libraries via google I just get swamped by info on the microstock sites.  

1 minute ago, geogphotos said:

Can't really name competitors here....one begins with A and is based in Spain, another is a mainly editorial supplier to G

I know A, I noticed you are on there (me too, sales taken a drop in recent years). I don't know who the second one you hint at is. 

I just found BAPLA site and looking through their list of suppliers. 

On 11/01/2018 at 22:23, Matt Ashmore said:

I think an analogy made by Philippe (no longer on the forums at the moment unfortunately.. so I'll borrow his analogy) is that there are two approaches:

1. The bonsai approach

2. The fishing trawler approach

Both strategies work for different people.

It is also possible to spend most of your days on a trawler, but occasionally devote an evening or two to tending your bonsai collection.

On 1/12/2018 at 10:40, spacecadet said:

I think you'll find that's a right-handed British sink. The water goes round a different way.

Hey, wait a minute! That's my sink here in New York City. My landlord buys his sinks in Chinatown, I'm told.  Imported perhaps, but from Asia, not the UK. 

Archived