geogphotos

Any tips for ISBN hunting?

Recommended Posts

I've been using Google Image search 'geogphotos/alamy' and seem to have exhausted anything new there.

 

Also tried Issuu for magazines and found a few. 

 

Many hundreds of escaped sales out there still.....:(

 

So, any hot tips for tracking down these elusive blighters?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

scribd.com allows you to see some pages without paying...

zinio.com used to, but not anymore

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, giphotostock said:

scribd.com allows you to see some pages without paying...

zinio.com used to, but not anymore

 

 

 

Thanks, I found a couple of new ones at scribd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2018 at 23:22, geogphotos said:

 

Thanks, I found a couple of new ones at scribd

 

How did you do it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

 

How did you do it?

 

I0000HxRFAmXKg6Y.jpg

 

Then for Castle Knight

 

I0000J.XRAAGNw64.jpg

 

See bottom line on left of Picture Credits for mine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this ISBN hunting for DACS? If so, I always send them a screen shot showing a few new sales from each year, showing that its a sale for a book or magazine published in the UK. I have never had a problem and, apart from my first claim when they required 4 ISBNs, I have never had to give details and ISBN of the publication. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

L

42 minutes ago, Colin Woods said:

Is this ISBN hunting for DACS? If so, I always send them a screen shot showing a few new sales from each year, showing that its a sale for a book or magazine published in the UK. I have never had a problem and, apart from my first claim when they required 4 ISBNs, I have never had to give details and ISBN of the publication. 

 

This ISBN hunting is to try and find matches in the ISBN/ISSN pot that in increments will form 40% of the total money available in a few years time.

 

It is not about finding the few needed on the main application for. 

Edited by geogphotos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, geogphotos said:

 

I0000HxRFAmXKg6Y.jpg

 

Then for Castle Knight

 

I0000J.XRAAGNw64.jpg

 

See bottom line on left of Picture Credits for mine

 

Thanks. Did you have to sign up for the read for 30 days free offer in order to see the picture credits? I didn't get past the page showing the books' covers when I tried.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't sign up for anything except through Facebook.

 

Don't think that paying would produce more hits do you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, geogphotos said:

I didn't sign up for anything except through Facebook.

 

Don't think that paying would produce more hits do you?

 

Dunno. Guess there's only one way to find out.

 

No luck so far on scribd, but thanks again for your help. If I come up with any brilliant ideas, I'll pass them along.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/01/2018 at 12:36, geogphotos said:

I've been using Google Image search 'geogphotos/alamy' and seem to have exhausted anything new there.

 

Also tried Issuu for magazines and found a few. 

 

Many hundreds of escaped sales out there still.....:(

 

So, any hot tips for tracking down these elusive blighters?

 

If you're happy to manually search through pages of acknowledgements, there are lots of image credits buried in here on the Oxford University Press website.

 

Mark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote
53 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

 

If you're happy to manually search through pages of acknowledgements, there are lots of image credits buried in here on the Oxford University Press website.

 

Mark

 

Thanks, somewhere OUP have web pages just consisting of credits and I have ploughed through all likely subjects and found a few.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, geogphotos said:

This really is a crazy situation. :(:angry:

 

Totally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

 

Totally.

 

Not for the first time I'm left reflecting upon what a shabby industry this can be.

 

Put simply I think it is outrageous that Alamy won't help its contributors.

 

It is probably best that I say no more and keep away from this topic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, geogphotos said:

 

Not for the first time I'm left reflecting upon what a shabby industry this can be.

 

Put simply I think it is outrageous that Alamy won't help its contributors.

 

It is probably best that I say no more and keep away from this topic. 

 

Do we know if purchasers have to enter the ISBN or ISSN number when buying a licence from Alamy and therefore Alamy has easy access to such info? Or does Alamy have to work as hard as we do to collate the info - which is why they take their 50%?

Edited by M.Chapman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

 

Do we know if purchasers have to enter the ISBN or ISSN number when buying a licence from Alamy and therefore Alamy has easy access to such info? Or does Alamy have to work as hard as we do to collate the info - which is why they take their 50%?

 

I've taken the best part of a year to collect what I have been able to get together. And it is a fraction. 

 

There is one week until the ISBN pot list closes. 

 

Who do you think would be best placed if they were to start from today - Alamy or you/me?

 

Has Alamy closed down applications for this pot due to inadequate time?

 

What is the 'administration fee' that they would charge for their 50%.

 

If I signed up they would still get my 50% even if they did nothing at all, or did very little. 

 

And as to your questions - we don't know do we. Any question is just answered by the standard answer. 

 

My personal feeling is best kept off this forum. My guess is that they have simply been presented with a new income stream and have chosen to exploit it. 

 

But there is a bigger picture in that BAPLA, representing agencies, have pressured to change the system to their advantage at the expense of photographers. I can't see why they would have done that if the relevant information ( ISBN/ISSN) was unavailable to them.

Edited by geogphotos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Ian

 

I can't find any of my ISBN numbers so am effectively denied an application but as you say  but if Alamy apply they have the information I don't have access to and can claim its most unfair.

 

DACS are unhelpful on this matter.

 

 

Regards

 

 

Jon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

4 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

 

Do we know if purchasers have to enter the ISBN or ISSN number when buying a licence from Alamy and therefore Alamy has easy access to such info? Or does Alamy have to work as hard as we do to collate the info - which is why they take their 50%?

 

I'd be happy with titles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I'd be happy with titles.

 

So would I. Perhaps I should rephrase my question. Do we know if purchasers have to enter the ISBN or ISSN number or publication name when buying a licence from Alamy and therefore Alamy has easy access to such info? 

 

Are there any forum contributors who are also Alamy customers who can confirm what information they have to enter when downloading/purchasing a licence for an image for use in a magazine or book?

 

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now