New Year, New Lens

Canon EF 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS II - apparently very good (certainly looks that way in my brief tests at the weekend) - and currently at its lowest price ever in a certain high street camera shop, lower even than a certain online camera shop's used offerings, and with an additional substantial cashback offer from Canon until mid-January. Anyone else indulging in the sales?

Fuji 35mm f1.4 on sale, on the way. Will arrive Thursday. Reviews, not the fastest focusing Fuji lens, but one that has extra-special rendering, with creamy transitions to oof area.  Also focuses close. I think it will be my new food and tabletop lens.

Can’t wait until Thursday.

Betty

Ordered from John Lewis (still nothing to do with the store honest) Sony 50mm FE f1.8 prime lens at £225.99 for full frame a7 mkII. (Price includes stores 2 year warranty.)

This will also give me a 75mm prime on my Sony APC-S camera bodies.

Other stores online asking £277.99

Sony RP £299.00

22 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Ordered from John Lewis (still nothing to do with the store honest) Sony 50mm FE f1.8 prime lens at £225.99 for full frame a7 mkII. (Price includes stores 2 year warranty.)

This will also give me a 75mm prime on my Sony APC-S camera bodies.

Other stores online asking £277.99

Sony RP £299.00

My 35 is for APC camera. Ends up maybe FF 55mm equivalent. Like minds.

what do you plan shooting with yours? 

Edited to add. Like your new images.  BTW, your blackberries KDRC4M has a typo in the caption. Would you please go through my port and find my typos? :D

41 minutes ago, Kebabselector said:

Got a new lens Fuji XF 18-55mm OIS f/2.8-4   

Also had to get an X Pro 2 to use it ;)

Should be getting £190 cash back on the lens and £380 on the body.

Can’t beat that deal! Welcome to the land of Fuji.

8 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Fuji 35mm f1.4 on sale, on the way. Will arrive Thursday. Reviews, not the fastest focusing Fuji lens, but one that has extra-special rendering, with creamy transitions to oof area.  Also focuses close. I think it will be my new food and tabletop lens.

Can’t wait until Thursday.

Betty

Betty, you will love that little lens!  It is not that slow to focus.  It is not lightning fast so some reviewers made an issue of it.   I think you will find it very quick on your X-T2.

Rick

1 hour ago, Rick Lewis said:

Betty, you will love that little lens!  It is not that slow to focus.  It is not lightning fast so some reviewers made an issue of it.   I think you will find it very quick on your X-T2.

Rick

Thanks, Rick. I’m not at all worried. I don’t shoot fast. My style is very deliberate, and I think the 35 will suit me fine. The 56 occasionally hunts a bit and doesn’t bother me at all. I hear great things about the 35. I think most of the time when someone says something is slow to focus, I find it otherwise.

edit, not hunts..just slow to focus once in a blue moon.

18 hours ago, Robert said:

Canon EF 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS II - apparently very good (certainly looks that way in my brief tests at the weekend)

I've been using the Mk1 version of that lens for a few years and it's very good for the money.

Alan

18 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

My 35 is for APC camera. Ends up maybe FF 55mm equivalent. Like minds.

what do you plan shooting with yours? 

Edited to add. Like your new images.  BTW, your blackberries KDRC4M has a typo in the caption. Would you please go through my port and find my typos? :D

I am gradually moving to primes, although I still like my zoom lenses.  As you know primes are sharper to the corners than zoom lenses. I have a 16-35 lens for my Sony a7 mkII which is very good but will be even better as a 24-52.5mm on my crop frame bodies as it will not be using the edges and corners as the full frame does. Anyway who can manage without a "nifty fifty"?

Uses: close shooting with shallow depth of field, street, other general as I feel like.

Thank you for spotting the typo now corrected. Hope no one was searching for that type of image and missed mine. All new images are taken on Sonys.

Allan

Looked at your first page and like your images very much particularly the "Holly berries".  I think, not 100%, but the tree with berries is the female, I believe, which has the non-detented leaves. Someone else might know better though.

ITMA

22 hours ago, Robert said:

Canon EF 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS II - apparently very good (certainly looks that way in my brief tests at the weekend) - and currently at its lowest price ever in a certain high street camera shop, lower even than a certain online camera shop's used offerings, and with an additional substantial cashback offer from Canon until mid-January. Anyone else indulging in the sales?

Robert,  I bought this lens last year as a step in reducing the weight of my gear. Might not be as sharp at 300 as my prime, but close. Very happy with it so far, as well as the 16-35 f4 and 50 f2.5 compact macro that I carry. All were either used or refurbished from Canon. Hope I didn't pay to much and I will check the sale now, even though I have nothing on my wish list at the moment. Tried mirrorless but decided to stick with Canon 6D. 

2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

I am gradually moving to primes, although I still like my zoom lenses.  As you know primes are sharper to the corners than zoom lenses. I have a 16-35 lens for my Sony a7 mkII which is very good but will be even better as a 24-52.5mm on my crop frame bodies as it will not be using the edges and corners as the full frame does. Anyway who can manage without a "nifty fifty"?

Uses: close shooting with shallow depth of field, street, other general as I feel like.

Thank you for spotting the typo now corrected. Hope no one was searching for that type of image and missed mine. All new images are taken on Sonys.

Allan

Looked at your first page and like your images very much particularly the "Holly berries".  I think, not 100%, but the tree with berries is the female, I believe, which has the non-detented leaves. Someone else might know better though.

ITMA

Thank you, Allan. My research didn’t mention differences between male and female. Good to know. 

I’ve been venturing into plants a bit, which is not my area of expertise other than very common (to me) flowers, trees and such.

in a way I kind of hate it, because to tag one image, I might spend an hour or two researching.

I have a tree with red berries on it that I absolutely cannot identify.  The red berries are wrinkled. The image was taken after a hard freeze.

So I know it’s not a crabapple. The form is an ordinary tree, maybe 18 feet tall, with a tallish trunk, then a normally shaped canopy.  Absolutely loaded with berries.

I have two crabapples and freezes don’t affect the berries. 

I give up.

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

Thank you, Allan. My research didn’t mention differences between male and female. Good to know. 

I’ve been venturing into plants a bit, which is not my area of expertise other than very common (to me) flowers, trees and such.

in a way I kind of hate it, because to tag one image, I might spend an hour or two researching.

I have a tree with red berries on it that I absolutely cannot identify.  The red berries are wrinkled. The image was taken after a hard freeze.

So I know it’s not a crabapple. The form is an ordinary tree, maybe 18 feet tall, with a tallish trunk, then a normally shaped canopy.  Absolutely loaded with berries.

I give up.

Without photos of tree, close up of leaves and berries, can't help sorry. And if it is not native to Europe (GB) then I am lost.

Allan

2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Without photos of tree, close up of leaves and berries, can't help sorry. And if it is not native to Europe (GB) then I am lost.

Allan

I was just a bitchin’, Allan! Griping. Moaning. Although I might upload it to Dropbox in case another North American recognizes it.

Why do I obsess over a couple of photos that probably would never sell? 

Because I can. :lol:

Betty

6 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I give up.

Hi Betty - look at Mountain Ash trees - genus Sorbus - also called Rowan trees or shrubs.  We have lots of Mountain Ash trees in the Adirondacks with bright red and orange berries that shrivel up in winter.  I'm not sure if they range that far south and west.

I have some in the yard - I'll try to get some decent images to upload if the snow ever stops.  Most of the berries have fallen. Cedar waxwing birds up here love the berries.

Dave

23 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Can’t beat that deal! Welcome to the land of Fuji.

Yes, I've been Fuji curious for a while (still love my GA645zi Medium Format) and was planning to get an X Pro 2 at some point - I couldn't resist with these recent offers.

Still trying to get used to where things are, but so far I'm very impressed (especially with the Jpegs straight out of the camera)

21 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Thanks, Rick. I’m not at all worried. I don’t shoot fast. My style is very deliberate, and I think the 35 will suit me fine. The 56 occasionally hunts a bit and doesn’t bother me at all. I hear great things about the 35. I think most of the time when someone says something is slow to focus, I find it otherwise.

edit, not hunts..just slow to focus once in a blue moon.

I agree.  People need to remember about that 56mm, there is a lot of heavy glass to move with one tiny motor.  It certainly won't be as fast as, say, the 24mm f2.  The 35mm is incredibly sharp too.

Rick

7 hours ago, Dave Nelson said:

Hi Betty - look at Mountain Ash trees - genus Sorbus - also called Rowan trees or shrubs.  We have lots of Mountain Ash trees in the Adirondacks with bright red and orange berries that shrivel up in winter.  I'm not sure if they range that far south and west.

I have some in the yard - I'll try to get some decent images to upload if the snow ever stops.  Most of the berries have fallen. Cedar waxwing birds up here love the berries.

Dave

OMG, I have that tree written down from my research!  The paper is lying by my computer. It fit, but nowhere could I find pictures of the shriveled berries. Not anywhere on the net, not on Alamy. So I was afraid of the ID. I feel it’s very important to get it right with flora.

I’ll try to upload a picture to Dropbox tomorrow and you can check back, let me know. 

And yes, I know those trees are in Texas, so they have to be able to survive here in Oklahoma.

Thanks so much!

Betty

6 hours ago, Kebabselector said:

Yes, I've been Fuji curious for a while (still love my GA645zi Medium Format) and was planning to get an X Pro 2 at some point - I couldn't resist with these recent offers.

Still trying to get used to where things are, but so far I'm very impressed (especially with the Jpegs straight out of the camera)

I hope you figure it out. There’s a thread on the Fuji X forum with a new X-Pro2 owner who, coming from DSLR, is struggling.  Join that forum and read the active thread. People are helping him. The suggestions will help you, too. 

My X-T2 is a bit easier.

https://www.fujix-forum.com/

See the thread: FUJI X-PRO2 IMPRESSIONS

Betty

19 hours ago, KevinS said:

Robert,  I bought this lens last year as a step in reducing the weight of my gear. Might not be as sharp at 300 as my prime, but close. Very happy with it so far, as well as the 16-35 f4 and 50 f2.5 compact macro that I carry. All were either used or refurbished from Canon. Hope I didn't pay to much and I will check the sale now, even though I have nothing on my wish list at the moment. Tried mirrorless but decided to stick with Canon 6D. 

Excellent. My feeling was that I don't absolutely need a long telephoto for my kind of photography, but given the cheap price and that the quality would be easily good enough for Alamy and other uses, it would be worth it to open up more opportunities and give me an excuse to get out and be productive and creative. I'm also sticking with a 6D - mirrorless cameras don't seem so much smaller that I would gain much, and they feel more like electronics than optics in use. I like the ease of use of the 6D and the satisfying clunk of the mirror.

After deciding I really couldn't justify the Nikon 200-500, I got a secondhand Tamron 150-600, which I'm not sure I can justify either. We'll see.

Very happy with it and got some nice kingfisher shots at the weekend, to go with Alamy's 21,000 other kingfisher shots.

11 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

OMG, I have that tree written down from my research!  The paper is lying by my computer. It fit, but nowhere could I find pictures of the shriveled berries. Not anywhere on the net, not on Alamy. So I was afraid of the ID. I feel it’s very important to get it right with flora.

I’ll try to upload a picture to Dropbox tomorrow and you can check back, let me know. 

And yes, I know those trees are in Texas, so they have to be able to survive here in Oklahoma.

Thanks so much!

Betty

Here is the berry tree.  It was very windy that day so the whole tree berries are blurry, but you see the tree form.

Then a closeup of the wrinkled berries.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5ol2swb1pr4bn42/_ALI2390-berry tree.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d9zhiv958dd7gvl/_ALI2392-berry closeup.jpg?dl=0

19 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Here is the berry tree.  It was very windy that day so the whole tree berries are blurry, but you see the tree form.

Then a closeup of the wrinkled berries.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5ol2swb1pr4bn42/_ALI2390-berry tree.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d9zhiv958dd7gvl/_ALI2392-berry closeup.jpg?dl=0

That doesn't look like the Mountain Ash tree and berries that we have up here.  The tree is fuller,  the berries are more pink than the red/orange color that we have, plus they are growing more individually from the branches, as opposed to in bunches.

I just uploaded a shot of our berries - should have it on line tomorrow if not sooner. 

Archived