geogphotos

Alamy DACS claim

Posted (edited)
  • We helped over 17,000 Alamy contributors successfully claim their share of the $6 million pot
  • We paid out a total of $650,000 to our contributors through DACS
  • The top Alamy payout was $2540

Payout of $2540 must be gross of $5080.

I am at the Max for books and mags, and at 100% received less than 20% of this gross figure with 0 TV claims

Can TV claims make so much difference? Can ISBN/ISSN data make so much difference?

Any ideas?

Is this a payout to an agency?

Edited by geogphotos

Posted (edited)

*We paid out a total of $650,000 to our contributors through DACS

Yes, but doesn't this also mean that Alamy took $650,000 that previously they didn't - ie) in the past when they provided information to help contributors make DACS claims?

Why does a non-profit with a supposed 'photographer's friend' ethic do this?

Edited by geogphotos

I've maxed out on books and mags and I think we probably managed to claim he same amounts.

I had one TV claim which I asked Alamy to pursue, but I just got 38 dollars.

Posted (edited)

Alamy is sending out these emails almost as an advert to use their services for DACs claims. So how does one contributor get a payout of £2540 and will they be able to get me that payout or anywhere near? 

How is it possible to end up with more through Alamy than doing it oneself ( ignoring TV uses which can be claimed separately through Alamy) - does the extra come from the ISBN 10% pot? How does it work? 

Edited by geogphotos

Divide that payout by your payout. Now multiply your sales by the outcome and you're in the ballpark.

wim

1 hour ago, wiskerke said:

Divide that payout by your payout. Now multiply your sales by the outcome and you're in the ballpark.

wim

That explanation doesn't work Wim because there is a ceiling - that is what is called being 'Maxed Out'. 

5 hours ago, geogphotos said:

That explanation doesn't work Wim because there is a ceiling - that is what is called being 'Maxed Out'. 

Is maxed out a set sum for everyone?

Or is it a percentage of something?

If it's a set sum per head it could be an agency.

wim

20 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Alamy is sending out these emails almost as an advert to use their services for DACs claims. So how does one contributor get a payout of £2540 and will they be able to get me that payout or anywhere near? 

How is it possible to end up with more through Alamy than doing it oneself ( ignoring TV uses which can be claimed separately through Alamy) - does the extra come from the ISBN 10% pot? How does it work? 

Yes, it would be nice to know what the financial advantages might be if Alamy collects on our behalf. I would be happy to let Alamy do the work if it meant a larger payout. As it is, I don't understand how that could be the case.

23 hours ago, geogphotos said:

It's USD, which net is about right for DACS' quoted figure on the website of a maximum of £4215. I can't explain the maxout being much less. Perhaps that's a question for DACS.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

It's USD, which net is about right for DACS' quoted figure on the website of a maximum of £4215. I can't explain the maxout being much less. Perhaps that's a question for DACS.

Fair enough but surely also a question for Alamy if they are using that figure as encouragement to claim through them. Because they also say in their 'blurb' that if you are Maxed Out you may want to ask Alamy to claim for TV uses only. 

Isn't it reasonable to want to know how a gross payout of $5080/£4215 can be achieved?

Edited by geogphotos

This helpful explanation comes from DACs. So, the next question has to be - how to get more images used on TV :D

Yes, these payments are reached for claims which have substantial TV uses for the calendar year which can, as you can see, increase the royalty amount. Whilst the money DACS receives for TV uses each year is much less than that which we receive from the CLA and other sources in relation to publications, there are a far fewer claims for this pot, hence the greater sums. 

The fact that TV uses can only be claimed for the previous year (i.e. in 2018 you can only claim for TV uses from 1 January to 31 December 2017) and not, like publications, dating back as far as needs be, also adds to the reason why the payments are increased for TV uses.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.