3 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Ha, I have a vegan daughter as well....must be payback for something I did wrong in my life!  Enjoy and Happy Christmas!

Don't worry, you'll probably love it. I've been pardoning turkeys for years. Some of them now even send be Xmas cards.  B)

Bon appétit.

3 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Vegetarian, I can deal but Vegan is too much, IMO.   

I agree in terms of practical living. I have known a lot of people who tried it and it didn't last. It requires serious commitment to maintain a healthy vegan lifestyle. It is often just an idealistic youthful fad (actually same with vegetarianism). That said, but there are several good reasons for adopting veganism as a way of life: health, environment and global food supply being chief among them. 

18 hours ago, MDM said:

I agree in terms of practical living. I have known a lot of people who tried it and it didn't last. It requires serious commitment to maintain a healthy vegan lifestyle. It is often just an idealistic youthful fad (actually same with vegetarianism). That said, but there are several good reasons for adopting veganism as a way of life: health, environment and global food supply being chief among them. 

I've managed to stay semi-vegetarian (I include some seafood/fish in my diet) for most of my adult life without too much difficulty. Living in a land of plenty really helps. When I travel, though, I'm often not sure what the heck I'm eating; so I don't go nuts if I unearth a piece of chicken (?) in my vegetable stew. I really enjoy a lot of vegan dishes, but I have to admit that I'd find it very difficult to go whole hog (so to speak) and delete all animal products. However, I admire people who manage to stick to a vegan diet. It takes real imagination and creativity. If some smart person can come up with a tasty vegan pizza -- the ones I've tried just don't measure up to the real thing -- I might even consider joining the fold. B)

6 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I've managed to stay semi-vegetarian (I include some seafood/fish in my diet) for most of my adult life without too much difficulty. Living in a land of plenty really helps. When I travel, though, I'm often not sure what the heck I'm eating; so I don't go nuts if I unearth a piece of chicken (?) in my vegetable stew. I really enjoy a lot of vegan dishes, but I have to admit that I'd find it very difficult to go whole hog (so to speak) and delete all animal products. However, I admire people who manage to stick to a vegan diet. It takes real imagination and creativity. If some smart person can come up with a tasty vegan pizza -- the ones I've tried just don't measure up to the real thing -- I might even consider joining the fold. B)

I think to be long-term vegan one would have to be really organised and not travel unless self-catering. It used to be hard enough being vegetarian back in the 70s and early 80s and looking for food while travelling. Nowadays most places in Europe that I have been to have something vegetarian although I have had problems in rural Spain. I would admire people who stick to vegan diets but I don't know any. I occasionally meet people I knew years back and they have all fallen by the wayside. It's too strict for practical purposes in our society really. I'm a vegetarian by choice and I love it. Life without Indian and pizza is unimaginable.

3 hours ago, MDM said:

I think to be long-term vegan one would have to be really organised and not travel unless self-catering. It used to be hard enough being vegetarian back in the 70s and early 80s and looking for food while travelling. Nowadays most places in Europe that I have been to have something vegetarian although I have had problems in rural Spain. I would admire people who stick to vegan diets but I don't know any. I occasionally meet people I knew years back and they have all fallen by the wayside. It's too strict for practical purposes in our society really. I'm a vegetarian by choice and I love it. Life without Indian and pizza is unimaginable.

Fortunately, Vancouver is a very veggie-friendly city. There are all kinds of "ethnic" restaurants with traditional meatless offerings, plus vegetarian/vegan restaurants have popped up all over the place in recent years. Even traditional meat-oriented places usually have a few veggie offerings on their menus. Now that people are better educated about the horrible abuses of animals on factory farms and in slaughterhouses -- plus and the environmental and health costs of heavy meat-eating -- I think that attitudes are changing. People are switching to more plant-based diets for a lot of different reasons.  All to the greater good IMO. Happy holiday grazing.

Archived