Update for LR 6 users

1 minute ago, Bryan said:

Indeed I share your aversion Allan, and thanks for the heads up on the update!

To be clear, existing LR6 users should use Allan's link to the update page and then scroll down the Adobe screen until they reach the 6.14 update, either for Mac or Windows.

If you have had the misfortune to become embroiled in any way with CC, despite not having paid for or used it, it appears that you cannot update from LR6 directly, rather you are pointed at buying opportunities for products that you do not need nor want.

yep, and it's very annoying indeed!

3 hours ago, Bryan said:

Indeed I share your aversion Allan, and thanks for the heads up on the update!

To be clear, existing LR6 users should use Allan's link to the update page and then scroll down the Adobe screen until they reach the 6.14 update, either for Mac or Windows.

If you have had the misfortune to become embroiled in any way with CC, despite not having paid for or used it, it appears that you cannot update from LR6 directly, rather you are pointed at buying opportunities for products that you do not need nor want.

I was able to update from within Lightroom 6 (perpetual license) without any difficulty.  What's the aversion to Lightroom CC?  Just the commitment to a monthly subscription, or something else? I may, at some point, need to decide whether to just stick with a version that will now never be updated, or go for CC.  it may be determined by whether I want to sync across computers

57 minutes ago, Sally said:

I was able to update from within Lightroom 6 (perpetual license) without any difficulty.  What's the aversion to Lightroom CC?  Just the commitment to a monthly subscription, or something else? I may, at some point, need to decide whether to just stick with a version that will now never be updated, or go for CC.  it may be determined by whether I want to sync across computers

No problem with the concept of CC, it's the right solution for some, although certainly not for me.

What I do object to is the difficulty placed in the way of people who do not want to change over to CC.  Sometime in the past I must have asked to take a look at CC, and subsequently my copy of LR was branded CC, even though it was a perpetual licence for LR6, and I was unable to update from the program. Rather the update it offered was to take out a full CC licence. No matter, now resolved.

I may be parting company with Adobe if I am unable to purchase a stand alone licence when I next replace my camera, which, hopefully, won't be for another 2 or 3 years. Not sure if I will still be shooting stock then!

20 minutes ago, Bryan said:

No problem with the concept of CC, it's the right solution for some, although certainly not for me.

What I do object to is the difficulty placed in the way of people who do not want to change over to CC.  Sometime in the past I must have asked to take a look at CC, and subsequently my copy of LR was branded CC, even though it was a perpetual licence for LR6, and I was unable to update from the program. Rather the update it offered was to take out a full CC licence. No matter, now resolved.

I may be parting company with Adobe if I am unable to purchase a stand alone licence when I next replace my camera, which, hopefully, won't be for another 2 or 3 years. Not sure if I will still be shooting stock then!

You can use the free DNG converter- well you can at the moment.  I tried it, it only takes 7 sec/file. They import into LR just like RAWs.

25 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

It's really crazy that everyone on the Internet now wants to change us $10 a month for whatever it is they feature -- but I'm very happy to pay Adobe that for the CC apps.

Sure Ed but that is $120 a year. Don't know how much you are charged in the US for an LR update say from 5 to 6 which lasted a couple of years to date, so which would be cheapest?

Allan

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

I will stay with my perpetual licence for LR6 and PSE14 for as long as possible, even if it means using the free DNG converter which I already have on the computer. It has not been used yet as I am unsure as to what effect it may have on the original legacy file from the camera/s I use/d.

Allan

2 hours ago, Sally said:

Some people have an idealogical aversion to subscription. I can't say I love it too much myself but it has become a fact of life if one wants to keep up with Adobe software. I think (agreeing with Ed) that the subscription is well worth the money. Not only do you get Lightroom but you get Photoshop as well. Previously I was upgrading every version about 18 months or so as well as Lightroom and I was spending more on the upgrades than I do currently on the subscription. I can see why Adobe have gone with subscription as well. Photoshop had just about plateaued out at CS6 in terms of the need for and introduction of new features that would tempt people to upgrade further. For Adobe to survive, they have to keep selling so subscription ultimately becomes the only option when a program has peaked like Photoshop. 

It's all very well sticking with older versions and refusing to spend money but this can be and often is false economy. For example there were massive speed enhancements in Photoshop after version CS4 so that anyone who didn't update and still uses CS4 is losing out on what for me in any case are serious productivity advantages. Similarly there have been speed enhancements in Lightroom although I am not sure how significant these are in CC over perpetual. However, there have been quite a lot of features added to CC (now Classic CC) that are not in the LR6. The following link is to a Lightroom Queen article which outlines features not in the perpetual version.

4 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

I will stay with my perpetual licence for LR6 and PSE14 for as long as possible, even if it means using the free DNG converter which I already have on the computer. It has not been used yet as I am unsure as to what effect it may have on the original legacy file from the camera/s I use/d.

Allan

You can convert RAWs to DNGs at the time of importing. It’s a built in function in LR 4, 5 & 6. I’ve been doing that for years. 99% of my RAW files are all DNGs. 

Sung

4 hours ago, MDM said:

Some people have an idealogical aversion to subscription. I can't say I love it too much myself but it has become a fact of life if one wants to keep up with Adobe software. I think (agreeing with Ed) that the subscription is well worth the money. Not only do you get Lightroom but you get Photoshop as well. Previously I was upgrading every version about 18 months or so as well as Lightroom and I was spending more on the upgrades than I do currently on the subscription. I can see why Adobe have gone with subscription as well. Photoshop had just about plateaued out at CS6 in terms of the need for and introduction of new features that would tempt people to upgrade further. For Adobe to survive, they have to keep selling so subscription ultimately becomes the only option when a program has peaked like Photoshop. 

It's all very well sticking with older versions and refusing to spend money but this can be and often is false economy. For example there were massive speed enhancements in Photoshop after version CS4 so that anyone who didn't update and still uses CS4 is losing out on what for me in any case are serious productivity advantages. Similarly there have been speed enhancements in Lightroom although I am not sure how significant these are in CC over perpetual. However, there have been quite a lot of features added to CC (now Classic CC) that are not in the LR6. The following link is to a Lightroom Queen article which outlines features not in the perpetual version.

If you're new to Photoshop it's definitely better to pay $10/month for a subscription than $600 for the full retail version, plus $150 for the standalone version Lightroom.

My problem is, I still remember when PhotoShop LE was included free with most scanners and digital cameras. Back then you could upgrade to the full version for $150 to $200 and I usually only upgraded every few years. Back then, it took several versions to work out the bugs and newer versions usually included more than support for new cameras or speed improvements.

When I upgraded to CS6 it was only months before Adobe came out with their subscription so it didn't make sense, for me, to pay additional money for software I had already purchased.

Unfortunately switching to the subscription version is probably inevitable, but for now, I'd prefer to avoid that as long as I can.

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

I remember when coffee was 15 cents a cup . . . and PhotoShop cost almost $1,000.  

https://www.cheatsheet.com/money-career/historical-look-at-the-cost-of-a-cup-of-coffee.html/?a=viewall

Was it actually that much? I never had to buy the full version because I just upgraded from PhotoShop LE.

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

I remember when coffee was 15 cents a cup . . . and PhotoShop cost almost $1,000.  

https://www.cheatsheet.com/money-career/historical-look-at-the-cost-of-a-cup-of-coffee.html/?a=viewall

24 minutes ago, fotoDogue said:

Was it actually that much? I never had to buy the full version because I just upgraded from PhotoShop LE.

3 hours ago, fotoDogue said:

If you're new to Photoshop it's definitely better to pay $10/month for a subscription than $600 for the full retail version, plus $150 for the standalone version Lightroom.

My problem is, I still remember when PhotoShop LE was included free with most scanners and digital cameras. Back then you could upgrade to the full version for $150 to $200 and I usually only upgraded every few years. Back then, it took several versions to work out the bugs and newer versions usually included more than support for new cameras or speed improvements.

When I upgraded to CS6 it was only months before Adobe came out with their subscription so it didn't make sense, for me, to pay additional money for software I had already purchased.

Unfortunately switching to the subscription version is probably inevitable, but for now, I'd prefer to avoid that as long as I can.

Photoshop was over £600 for the full version here in Britain, which would have been around $1000, depending on the exchange rate. I got my first full version (v4) for round £200 (around $350) with a Nikon slide scanner in 1997. It is always cheaper in the US than in Europe like many other goods. At the moment a year's subscription is £120 - around $160 or so with the £ remaining significantly weakened sincer the Brexit referendum in 2016. 

I upgraded almost every version except for 5 and 7 since 1997. I tried out CC when it came out but decided there wasn't a lot in it relative to what I had at the time (CS6 and LR5) so I cancelled. I decided to subscribe again last year when I had a good special offer as there have been a number of new features added that are not in the perpetual version. I do think it is worth the money.

Not a lot has happened with Photoshop in recent years, at least in relation to the features that I use, although there are a few neat new things such as the ACR filter and the ability to select by focus area. There is also some new stuff with masks and selections but I haven't really taken the time to explore this. Maybe over Christmas. 

For me, if it came to a choice, I could live without Lightroom just about but not having Photoshop is unthinkable even though I use  Lightroom for a lot of stuff that I used to use Photoshop for. I still have CS6 installed in case the time comes that the subscription model becomes unfit for my purposes - if Adobe enforces use of cloud storage that is but I can't really foresee that happening.

30 minutes ago, Jansos said:

Hi all, Does anyone know if I can go from 6.11 - 6.14 direct, or do I have to go through each one in turn until I get to 6.14?

Many thanks in advance and have a great Xmas.

Just go direct. 

On 12/21/2017 at 14:37, fotoDogue said:

Not to stray too far from the original topic but, I'm so frustrated with my last Genius Bar appointment that I'm almost ready to switch to Android.

The other morning my 2 year old 6s wouldn't charge so I brought it to the Soho Store where they diagnosed it as a corroded Lightning port. I was told the part wasn't replaceable and since I don't have AppleCare,  I could either swap it for the same model, for $300, or see what my carrier had to offer.

I was just about to plunk down almost $800 on a new phone when I decided to Google it. Right there on the Apple Support Forums was a thread about how to clean the dust bunnies from the port! Apparently it's a common problem that happens around the two year mark. So I cleaned it several times again and it's been charging normally ever since.

It seems like Apple is really pushing to sell new phones.

fD

Of course they are. There's no mark-up on free advise. :-)

Archived