Canon g9x?

1" sensor on the new G9X is the same size as on all the Sony RX100 range - so should pass no problem.
I use a G5X as a pocket camera, same sensor, passes QC without any issues.

No viewfinder on the G9X, so you'll have to use the screen.

In my experience the lens on the G9X is not as good as the lens on the RX100 Mk3. Watch out for CA/fringing/softness in the corners. IMHO the RX100 will pass QC more reliably. With the G9X there's a higher risk of QC problems, depending on subject matter.  I've processed RAW images from both and I much prefer my RX100 Mk III.

Mark

3 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

In my experience the lens on the G9X is not as good as the lens on the RX100 Mk3. Watch out for CA/fringing/softness in the corners. IMHO the RX100 will pass QC more reliably. With the G9X there's a higher risk of QC problems, depending on subject matter.  I've processed RAW images from both and I much prefer my RX100 Mk III.

Mark

I have not shot with that particular Canon, but did with the G9. I got a few through QC years ago, but personally didn’t like the images from it. Not many images from a shoot made the cut. That said, one image from it has sold a couple of times and I cringe every time. :D

I’m sure the X is improved, but I thought the one I had blew out the skies if the foreground was properly exposed. If I exposed for the sky and tried to lift the foreground shadows, the noise was bad. Dynamic range just wasn’t there, and the images lacked an illusive something that normally puts a smile on my face.  The X would have to be very much improved.

Like you, Mark, I enjoy my RX100 MK lll. 

Betty

6 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I have not shot with that particular Canon, but did with the G9. I got a few through QC years ago, but personally didn’t like the images from it. Not many images from a shoot made the cut. That said, one image from it has sold a couple of times and I cringe every time. :D

I’m sure the X is improved, but I thought the one I had blew out the skies if the foreground was properly exposed. If I exposed for the sky and tried to lift the foreground shadows, the noise was bad. Dynamic range just wasn’t there, and the images lacked an illusive something that normally puts a smile on my face.  The X would have to be very much improved.

Like you, Mark, I enjoy my RX100 MK lll. 

Betty

Hi Betty, the old G9 (circa 2007 or so) had a much smaller sensor and entirely different lens structure to the current G9X. Like you, I had one, and there are a few images on here that passed QC without any issue, however, mine was prone to CA, and needed some care.

The new G9X is totally different, and has a larger 1" sensor - same size as the Sony RX100 series. Can't comment on the lens, though my G5X is similar, and as pocket cameras go, it's really excellent. Only bought it in the summer, and it's almost paid for itself already...

:)

I just bought the Sony A6000 and it easily passes QC and allows for interchangeable lenses.  It has allowed me to reuse some of my older lenses with an adapter.  The kit lens is fine for Alamy use. It is being sold at a reduced price right now in the US and I think in the UK too. 

4 hours ago, TeeCee said:

Hi Betty, the old G9 (circa 2007 or so) had a much smaller sensor and entirely different lens structure to the current G9X. Like you, I had one, and there are a few images on here that passed QC without any issue, however, mine was prone to CA, and needed some care.

The new G9X is totally different, and has a larger 1" sensor - same size as the Sony RX100 series. Can't comment on the lens, though my G5X is similar, and as pocket cameras go, it's really excellent. Only bought it in the summer, and it's almost paid for itself already...

:)

That’s good! I find it interesting that a lot of us feel the need/or want to have a pocket camera to go along with our main. I started with that old G9 so I’ve been in that game for a long time. Although it wasn’t as small or handy (or 1/10 as good) as the RXs.

I shot Nikon except for the last few years, and I sure wasn’t going to lug it while shopping or going out to dinner!  The old, “your best camera is the one you have with you” bit.

While a lot of us have mobiles that take surprisingly good images, they can’t be used for regular stock.

Betty

1 hour ago, Johnnie5 said:

I just bought the Sony A6000 and it easily passes QC and allows for interchangeable lenses.  It has allowed me to reuse some of my older lenses with an adapter.  The kit lens is fine for Alamy use. It is being sold at a reduced price right now in the US and I think in the UK too. 

i would hope A6000 passes the QC as this is a 1.6 crop sensor. if this camera failed so would every crop sensor DSLR :) And we would not want that :) By the way my main camera is sony NEX6 - a predecessor of A6000. Again, a DSLR without a mirror, hence term "mirrorless camera".

9 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Judging by this review

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-powershot-g9-x-mark-ii-review/5

the lens isn't too impressive. The jpegs wouldn't pass IMO.

The dpreview.com studio shot comparison tool here shows the difference between RX100 and GX9 Mk II quite well. Hope the link works. Click on the studio image to move the comparison area around.

I know this is pixel peeping (but justified since Alamy QC check at 100%), and it's a one off test, but it matches my experience of these two cameras. The GX9 is just a bit soft and mushy, especially towards the edges. Its corners also show CA. Whereas my RX100 Mk III frequently staggers me with its IQ. It's a little marvel.

Mark

Archived