Jump to content
Jansos

Affordable online backup solutions/providers

Recommended Posts

I've no experience of Photoshelter but it sounds very expensive for what's on offer. If you search the forum you might get some better info. 

 

I have a Pro account with Zenfolio, mainly for the website features and have no complaints at all. The cloud storage for me is a bonus. I needed a modern photographer website with private galleries and it was a toss up between Zenfolio and SmugMug. I don't think there is a lot of difference between them.

 

I don't know if it is possible to do auto backups. I just upload images manually when they are ready and they can be easily replaced. In fact I do all my image backups manually - I like to see what is going where,

 

In fact if you decide to go with Zenfolio before Dec 28th,  I can give you a referral code which gets you 20% off - not the reason I posted here I should hastily add - I always ignore these things but I just dug up the email from my trash. If you decide to use them, you may as well have the discount.

 

 

 

 

Edited by MDM
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Jansos said:

Zenfolio looks interesting. Any idea if it is much different from Photoshelter? The Pro service looks reasonably priced.

 

Zenfolio seems to be a bit cheaper than Photoshelter. They're currently offering a $5 per month plan versus $10 for PhotoShelter.

Zenfolio seems to limit file size according to the plan. I'm not aware of any size restrictions on PhotoShelter. They charge according to total space used. I currently have the Basic Plan which includes 175 GB and costs $30 per month.

Zenfolio seems to support video. As far as I know PhotoShelter doesn't.

Zenfolio supports several languages. As far as I know Photoshelter only supports English.

Photoshelter has a free Lightroom Plug-In so you can upload directly from Lightroom.

Both offer Affiliate programs.

Both offer free trials. If you're undecided you might want to try both and see which better suits your needs.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, gvallee said:

Out of curiosity, do you guys backup up your Raws or Jpgs in the cloud? 

 

I think I know the answer as Raw is the negative equivalent, but in case I have to re-download them all (God forbid), re-process 17k images??!! Daunting prospect to say the least.

 

Gen

 

 

I don't keep JPEG or TIFF, I reprocess each time I need them using the stored adjustments in Capture 1 Pro where I do ALL my processing (after keywording/rating in PhotoMechanic), haven't gone to PS in years to process an image after copnversion. When I need an image I produce the image at the size and quality I need for that specific purpose, small web thumbnail or large print, just select a different output size & jpeg quality. It also means that I get the latest processing algorithms.

 

Saves a lot of space and is not burdensome, at least for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, gvallee said:

Out of curiosity, do you guys backup up your Raws or Jpgs in the cloud? 

 

I think I know the answer as Raw is the negative equivalent, but in case I have to re-download them all (God forbid), re-process 17k images??!! Daunting prospect to say the least.

 

Gen

 

I do keep my submissions but only on on an external drive. The folder is only about 10% the size of  all the RAWs and it would be convenient not to have to reprocess the odd one.

I don't use cloud backup, except Google photos so I can refer to images out of town (they're just reduced-size jpeg copies of the RAWs of course) but that's my choice, not a policy I advocate. If I could afford it I probably would.

As it is I just have two copies of the RAWs on separate drives, and the last two years on my PC as well. I delete camera folders on a rolling basis as I need the space so I have a fourth copy for a couple of months usually.

Edited by spacecadet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

I do keep my submissions but only on on an external drive. The folder is only about 10% the size of  all the RAWs and it would be convenient not to have to reprocess the odd one.

I don't use cloud backup, except Google photos so I can refer to images out of town (they're just reduced-size jpeg copies of the RAWs of course) but that's my choice, not a policy I advocate. If I could afford it I probably would.

As it is I just have two copies of the RAWs on separate drives, and the last two years on my PC as well. I delete camera folders on a rolling basis as I need the space so I have a fourth copy for a couple of months usually.

 

My set up is a little complicated because usually my life is... When I'm on the road, it's frequently for several months at a time. So while travelling, I download from my memory card to my laptop and one external drive. Back home, I transfer all the pix to my desktop and a second external drive. I always delete the memory cards after download.

 

It takes a bit of organisation to know what's where but I love my spreadsheets and am quite methodical. Folders are split by To Be done, Done, Similars Not Used. And they are all in sync everywhere. All manual jobs. Don't I love photography?

 

Gen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I usually get mine for Christmas, but the price of a USB drive now compares quite favourably with a year's backup fees. I know it doesn't constitute off-site, and it can just break when it feels like it, but they won't both do that at the same time. So I live with it. But I can see if you do a lot of travelling the cloud would be attractive. Of course to really get the benefit you'd need to be uploading as you go, and that could get a bit data-pricey- not that I know about these things. I don't even have a smartphone and a tablet to me is something I take after a night on the sauce.

As I said, not advocating the policy, just describing it. I don't get paid regularly, so I'm not a fan of regular bills.

 

Edited by spacecadet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do a lot of off the beaten track travel in my campervan, very often in very hot and dusty conditions. No aircon. Not to mention corrugation. My equipment does take quite a battering.

So you're right, the cloud is attractive while on the road, although very often, I have no internet connection, let alone Wifi. I have a sat phone for emergencies and that's that. Love it. Not so much the dust though.

 

Gen

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, MDM said:

I've no experience of Photoshelter but it sounds very expensive for what's on offer. If you search the forum you might get some better info. 

 

I have a Pro account with Zenfolio, mainly for the website features and have no complaints at all. The cloud storage for me is a bonus. I needed a modern photographer website with private galleries and it was a toss up between Zenfolio and SmugMug. I don't think there is a lot of difference between them.

 

I don't know if it is possible to do auto backups. I just upload images manually when they are ready and they can be easily replaced. In fact I do all my image backups manually - I like to see what is going where,

 

In fact if you decide to go with Zenfolio before Dec 28th,  I can give you a referral code which gets you 20% off - not the reason I posted here I should hastily add - I always ignore these things but I just dug up the email from my trash. If you decide to use them, you may as well have the discount.

 

 

 

 

This thread has been very useful, as I have been thinking about setting up a website and Zenfolio seems to tick all my boxes. Can you post the referral code at all?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Sally said:

This thread has been very useful, as I have been thinking about setting up a website and Zenfolio seems to tick all my boxes. Can you post the referral code at all?

 

I don't think I should post the code publicly as it is personal to my zenfolio account but you can email me if you like at the following and I'll give you the code - michaeldavidmurphyphoto at gmail.com. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, MDM said:

 

I don't think I should post the code publicly as it is personal to my zenfolio account but you can email me if you like at the following and I'll give you the code - michaeldavidmurphyphoto at gmail.com. 

Do you know if that would be an extra 20% over and above the 28%/35% off they're currently offering on their website?

Edited by Cryptoprocta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Cryptoprocta said:

Do you know if that would be an extra 20% over and above the 28%/35% off they're currently offering on their website?

 

I think the 28% is simply what you would save by paying annually rather than monthly so I assume the 20% discount applies to that. The 35% is only on the main US site as far as I can see and I doubt the 20% would apply. Maybe it would automatically change if you sign up from elsewhere.  I just did a search for zenfolio uk pricing and get the normal prices. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MDM said:

 

I think the 28% is simply what you would save by paying annually rather than monthly so I assume the 20% discount applies to that. The 35% is only on the main US site as far as I can see and I doubt the 20% would apply. Maybe it would automatically change if you sign up from elsewhere.  I just did a search for zenfolio uk pricing and get the normal prices. 

Oh, thanks. I'm from the UK, and I saw the 35% (not the basic plan) (on the US site. Google seems to be ignoring locality these days :-( ). I'm not fully decided yet!

Edited by Cryptoprocta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Cryptoprocta said:

Oh, thanks. I'm from the UK, and I saw the 35% (not the basic plan) (on the US site. Google seems to be ignoring locality these days :-( ). I'm not fully decided yet!

 

I notice that 35% offer expires tomorrow. The 20% off code expires on the 28th so feel free to email me as above in the meantime if you do want the code. You could always do the trial. I think if you are primarily looking for a good, easy to use photographer website with the ability to sell prints directly through a good photo lab (One Vision) and unlimited storage of JPEGs, then Zenfolio is fine. If you are looking for remote archival storage of raw images then there may be better providers but I don't really know. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting topic.

 

For the past few years, I've been using backup to USB drives (1 offsite, 1 onsite) & also Crashplan. Within the past few months, Crashplan pulled out of the consumer market & now only offer their business version. Which seems basically the same, except 3 times the price. They offered an upgrade process which didn't work at all for me & that, combined with my findings that Crashplan had a drain on my pc performance & also the security risk of a Java app, made me drop Crashplan. I tried Backblaze, but didn't like the lack of granular control. I tried to test Carbonite, but it wouldn't install - it seems that if your use Dreamweaver then this affects the install scripts for Carbonite. So I'm back to just using USB drives at the moment, I'm still keeping a watch on the market.

 

It may be worth a mention that backup is not the same as synchronisation. Dropbox, Onedrive etc are synchronisation. Get a virus, accidentally delete a file, the change is synchronised to the cloud & then to any other devices you have. Backup keeps a separate copy, but you need a backup system which keeps maybe 3 versions of the file. (Carbonite does this) Otherwise a virus or corruption could simply overwrite your good backup copy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I should add, the old CrashPlan for Home allowed users to back-up to a friends computer, at no cost. I haven't really explored the Business Software so I don't know if this is still possible.

 

When CrashPlan discontinued their Home service they did raise their rates, from $60 per year to $10 per month. I  migrated to CrashPlan For Business and was promised a 70 percent discount once my current subscription ends in September 2018.  At this point, I'll wait until 2019 before making a decision as to whether I want to continue with CrashPlan. I like the software and I hate the thought of having to spend months uploading elsewhere.

 

fD

Edited by fotoDogue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Orange Elephant said:

It may be worth a mention that backup is not the same as synchronisation. Dropbox, Onedrive etc are synchronisation. Get a virus, accidentally delete a file, the change is synchronised to the cloud & then to any other devices you have. Backup keeps a separate copy, but you need a backup system which keeps maybe 3 versions of the file. (Carbonite does this) Otherwise a virus or corruption could simply overwrite your good backup copy.

 

 

At least for me I use mostly Onedrive as backup, and few folders, containing mainly doc, just for sync. I cannot have a mirror of 1TB or 5TB in my  Mac of 258 GB. As soon as I sync some files I move them to another Onedrive folder, that is not sync with any of my devices.

Edited by Abiyoyo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Sally said:

This thread has been very useful, as I have been thinking about setting up a website and Zenfolio seems to tick all my boxes. Can you post the referral code at all?

 

I used Zenfolio for years back when I had my portrait business.  It was easy to use, easy for my clients to access and reasonably priced.  They have added a ton of features since I went into retirement from that business.  I would definitely go back to them, if I needed to.  I have no experience with the others mentioned here.

 

Rick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Rick Lewis said:

 

I used Zenfolio for years back when I had my portrait business.  It was easy to use, easy for my clients to access and reasonably priced.  They have added a ton of features since I went into retirement from that business.  I would definitely go back to them, if I needed to.  I have no experience with the others mentioned here.

 

Rick

 

They are certainly actively updating and usually improving the service regularly which is encouraging. One wouldn't want to go with a company that is static or regressing.

Edited by MDM
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/12/2017 at 13:14, MDM said:

 

I don't think I should post the code publicly as it is personal to my zenfolio account but you can email me if you like at the following and I'll give you the code - michaeldavidmurphyphoto at gmail.com. 

With a 2 day offer of 40% off plus a referral code, I took the plunge. Need to find others I can refer now!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try carbonite.com They automatically backup all you new and modified files so you don't have to worry about it

you can retrieve one or all files 
I have been with them for at least 10 years it's 50$ a year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/13/2017 at 00:22, Rick Lewis said:

 

I used Zenfolio for years back when I had my portrait business.  It was easy to use, easy for my clients to access and reasonably priced.  They have added a ton of features since I went into retirement from that business.  I would definitely go back to them, if I needed to.  I have no experience with the others mentioned here.

 

Rick

If anyone is interested I now have a time limited offer (until Dec 28th) of 20% off a subscription for Zenfolio.  Contact me at sallya26 at gmail.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been using Backblaze for some time now.  works in the background and is very affordable (£3.50 p.m. ).  Files can be retrieved singly or in batches.

 

I also have two 2Tb external drives.

 

John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/12/2017 at 20:32, Abiyoyo said:

 

 

At least for me I use mostly Onedrive as backup, and few folders, containing mainly doc, just for sync. I cannot have a mirror of 1TB or 5TB in my  Mac of 258 GB. As soon as I sync some files I move them to another Onedrive folder, that is not sync with any of my devices.

Subject to which Dropbox subscription you have it does hold multiple versions, safeguarding against virus / ransomware. You access the history via the web interface. One drive I believe had similar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.