How secure are our images here

Marb I think your opinion, as to images that are suitable for Alamy, is just as valid as the opinions of the other members of this forum.

One of the cornerstones of the Alamy business model is that Alamy does not tell photographers what to submit.

From the Alamy instructions to photographers. 

“You can send us anything
Our customers love us and the encyclopaedic nature of our collection – we have a bigger, broader, more unique collection than any other library so we want everything you’ve got.”

“Our customers love us because we have a large and encyclopaedic collection – so we want all of your stock images, mainstream or niche, creative or editorial in style. Everything that passes our technical criteria will be put on sale on our site – our aim is to give our clients the best possible choice.”

I think it is up to you. Follow your bliss.

7 hours ago, Marb said:

I see where you are coming from but I see not much difference in microstock and Alamy images on this site. And I will have to say that I have a lot of editorial images here of late. I see poeple in i ages at Alamy and see the same type of shots on microstock sites, which also sell editorial. My point is I used to sell more images here when I had less in my port than now.

As an example, my last 5 sales are of these subjects.

one could be called travel, because it is a tourist attraction in my city. It is a nice wide shot.

One is of an apple dumpling, baked by me, on a plate. Lots of copy space. Studio.

One is of an item (object, technology) shot in studio on white. Again, copy space.

One of a sunflower with a bumblebee against a blue sky, bought for a zoo display. More copy space. And I’m sure the zoo will add lettering to that blue sky.

The last is of a beautiful yellow marigold with a stunning butterfly on it. Magazine sale. No copy space, but subject surrounded by green leaves. There could be white copy over the dark green leaves. I just don’t use copy space as a tag.

A very varied lot, there. Which I’ve tried to encourage you to do, to branch out subject-wise, don’t shoot so tight, think of “how could this image be used and have I provided copy space when possible? Is this image cropable if the client needs to fit it in a space without losing vital parts? 

Not all of mine fit those parameters because of subject matter, but I try to think of it when shooting the subjects that do fit.

Betty

I agree with Betty that you could benefit by thinking of copy space. Most of your images seem very tightly cropped with not much opportunity for the buyer to adjust them for the space they need. I have had to think a lot about leaving space around my animals because I personally like very tight shots but the buyer can always crop in if that is what they want. (Not to mention that with animals they can suddenly make a move that takes parts of them out of the shot). Most of the subjects you have now would appear to give you the opportunity to pull back a bit. Just an idea because before I read Betty's comment I had been thinking that you tend to move in for a very tight shot.

Paulette

6 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Ian,

I was just about to write that I think, from my point of view, your recent images are just what is needed and I was drawn to the one showing a footpath and sign. Image ref:  KNR6GH

I'd imagine it being used in a newspaper guide to country walks in different parts of the country.

You should add the location to this image otherwise how is anybody going to find it or want to use it?

+1 of course but my first thought was that the  fingerpost had been made deliberately generic by removing the destination- it's unusual to see one that big left blank. As such I probably wouldn't have bothered with it- I would have found a printed one.

I have maybe a sale a year of footpath signs on their own as closeups, but they always have a quite specific legend of some sort and it's in the keywords- how would it be found otherwise?

12 hours ago, Marb said:

Well I keep stipulating that I do have the type of images that should sell hereas again, I see no difference in micro images to Alamy in most cases, even people here who tell me that my images are not suitable for Alamy.  

Ian, you have some good images that are suitable for Alamy.

Just keep uploading a wide diversity of images, tag them so that they can be found by buyers, and be patient - sales will come i'm sure.

John.

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

+1 of course but my first thought was that the  fingerpost had been made deliberately generic by removing the destination- it's unusual to see one that big left blank. As such I probably wouldn't have bothered with it- I would have found a printed one.

I have maybe a sale a year of footpath signs on their own as closeups, but they always have a quite specific legend of some sort and it's in the keywords- how would it be found otherwise?

No, the sign was generic as shot. I have not removed anything from it. Also, images like my cow, water tank have copy space which is what I have recently been more aware of.

Thanks anyway for the keywording suggestions regarding location etc. I just thought unless a subject was identifiable, the location wouldn’t be relevant. 

10 minutes ago, Marb said:

No, the sign was generic as shot. I have not removed anything from it. Also, images like my cow, water tank have copy space which is what I have recently been more aware of.

Thanks anyway for the keywording suggestions regarding location etc. I just thought unless a subject was identifiable, the location wouldn’t be relevant. 

The rest of the keywords are fine on that image. Just where is it, is it on a long-distance path or National Trail or whatever. It's identifiable all right- just the thing to illustrate a feature about that area- if the buyer can find it. Maybe only a small editorial fee, maybe not, but even a small sale buys you rank. I'm surprised by how high I now appear in some searches- and that's for images that haven't even sold yet.

My prices for that sort of image have varied by a factor of 30:1.

4 hours ago, Marb said:

Also, images like my cow, water tank have copy space which is what I have recently been more aware of.

It seems that you have taken my suggestion as a criticism and you are feeling the need to defend yourself. I meant it to be helpful. Or maybe I am being too sensitive now.

Paulette

3 hours ago, NYCat said:

It seems that you have taken my suggestion as a criticism and you are feeling the need to defend yourself. I meant it to be helpful. Or maybe I am being too sensitive now.

Paulette

On the contary Paulette, I was just pointing out that I do submit images with copyspace. And to be fair, microstock images also require copyspace too so I am aware of this requirement.

On 12/14/2017 at 23:45, Betty LaRue said:

As an example, my last 5 sales are of these subjects.

one could be called travel, because it is a tourist attraction in my city. It is a nice wide shot.

One is of an apple dumpling, baked by me, on a plate. Lots of copy space. Studio.

One is of an item (object, technology) shot in studio on white. Again, copy space.

One of a sunflower with a bumblebee against a blue sky, bought for a zoo display. More copy space. And I’m sure the zoo will add lettering to that blue sky.

The last is of a beautiful yellow marigold with a stunning butterfly on it. Magazine sale. No copy space, but subject surrounded by green leaves. There could be white copy over the dark green leaves. I just don’t use copy space as a tag.

A very varied lot, there. Which I’ve tried to encourage you to do, to branch out subject-wise, don’t shoot so tight, think of “how could this image be used and have I provided copy space when possible? Is this image cropable if the client needs to fit it in a space without losing vital parts? 

Not all of mine fit those parameters because of subject matter, but I try to think of it when shooting the subjects that do fit.

Betty

Great information and advice!

Archived