Steep drop in zooms this month?

Just now, geogphotos said:

Try adding proper captions to your pictures and then buyers might actually be able to find them.

What would be the point ? I can find my images easy by putting in the basic keywords.

Just now, geogphotos said:

Because you want buyers too find ? 

Is this another wind-up???

Ian, why do you constantly treat all my posts with contempt when I am only reporting my lack of sales ? you seem to be defending Alamy even though other posters (in this thread even) are reporting a sales drop. There is nothing wrong with my captioning, keywording or subject matter.

21 minutes ago, Marb said:

Ian, why do you constantly treat all my posts with contempt when I am only reporting my lack of sales ? you seem to be defending Alamy even though other posters (in this thread even) are reporting a sales drop. There is nothing wrong with my captioning, keywording or subject matter.

So why aren't you selling anything?

John.

7 minutes ago, Marb said:

Because Alamy isn't getting the buyers in (again, others are reporting a downward trend) 

7 minutes ago, funkyworm said:

Everything normal here. In fact, I have the feeling that Alamy have found some new customers.

Maybe those reporting a drop should have alook at measures to see what buyers are looking for at this time of year.

My sales volume is up 15% and revenue up 19.5% compared to last year.

John.

1 hour ago, Marb said:

I think the thread is about  zooms, not sales. The correlation between the two is quite weak.

I haven't noticed a drop and my sales have been through the roof since the beginning of October.

26 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

I think the thread is about  zooms, not sales. The correlation between the two is quite weak.

I haven't noticed a drop and my sales have been through the roof since the beginning of October.

Yes my zooms are down dramatically this month, but my sales for the year are up 35%. 

There is nothing wrong with my captioning, keywording or subject matter.

There's always room for improvement :) even after a few years I still consider some of my keywording to be mediocre. I really do need to take more time to be more accurate. 

The image below would help to know the location, I believe. I would also add the boys' approximate ages, such as 8-10 or 10-20. It's a nice shot and would be a pity if buyers overlook it. 

Two boys on a beach skim surfing. Stock Photo

10 hours ago, Marb said:

There is nothing wrong with my captioning, keywording or subject matter.

I just picked KP5MAE at random. Certainly there is no spam on that image,  :).

However, although you have correctly written astrantia, you haven't put its full scientific name Astrantia major (so if a buyer searched on that, they wouldn't find your image), its alternate English vernacular name 'Masterwort', nor the specific cultivar (granted, that if you didn't know the cultivar, it's better not to guess).

23 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Not true.

It is YOU that are not getting buyers.

But you refuse to accept that it is any responsibility of yours.

Again, I was getting more sales here with LESS images in my port so I have proved I can sell here. We will have to agree to differ as I know that other contributors (I have read many posts) are experiencing a drop in sales. 

6 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

I0000kEKWOPN3xGY.jpg

Yes we all know some are having a ball here, and good for you  but that doesn't help. Just because it's great for you doesn't mean we have to be silenced and wear Alamy tinted glasses so we don't ruin the party.

2 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Plenty of people are doing better than me, and some doing less well.

Essentially Alamy is a meritocracy -  it is down to each of us to attract buyers through our images and metatdata. 

I am not trying to silence you merely pointing out that if you want sales you need to improve what you are offering to buyers. 

Sorry but I disagree. I think (as others have pointed out) that the work I am submitting is just as diverse and saleable as anything else here. Buyers are all different and every image has a use. I have uploaded editorial, left copyspace, updated keywords and titles but it seems whatever I do is criticised. I don't mind it when it's necessary 

Just now, Marb said:

Sorry but I disagree. I think (as others have pointed out) that the work I am submitting is just as diverse saleable as anything else.

But as others have pointed out too, your tags need to be good, otherwise potential buyers won't find your images - which is up to you alone.

Just now, Stokie said:

But as others have pointed out too, your tags need to be good, otherwise potential buyers won't find your images - which is up to you alone.

I can find my images when I type basic, obvious keywords so what is wrong with my keywords ? 

20 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

"Detail of a red indian motorcycle in Canada"

"Brick built grain silo on farmland"

I don't know what point you are making with this. I am talking about keywords, not the description which has no relevance in the search.

I still check my zooms out of habit as much as anything. Of course one likes to see that a few of the chosen clients have had a look at a few of my images but it doesn't really correlate against sales. Sales are quite good this month (14) and zooms down to 17 which is about normal.  I don't think any of the sales had been zoomed. Last month one of my pseudos had about a dozen images from a feature zoomed and none have been reported as sales so far. 

30 minutes ago, Marb said:

I don't know what point you are making with this. I am talking about keywords, not the description which has no relevance in the search.

That’s not my understating, but then I am a newbie. I make my captions as detailed as possible and try to use up the word limit, as long as it is relevant. When I first started I didn’t always put in the geographic location. Now I always do. Certainly with a building on farmland you would want to do so.

32 minutes ago, Marb said:

You mean "caption", which is relevant in search. it's also the only chance you get to tell a buyer something about the image at first glance.

BTW I'm pretty sure that's not a grain silo- I believe it's a ventilation shaft for a railway tunnel. Which tunnel? Where? Who engineered the line? When? Which railway company?

52 minutes ago, Sally said:

That’s not my understating, but then I am a newbie. I make my captions as detailed as possible and try to use up the word limit, as long as it is relevant. When I first started I didn’t always put in the geographic location. Now I always do. Certainly with a building on farmland you would want to do so.

I didn't put the location as it's generic and not relevant.

51 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

You mean "caption", which is relevant in search. it's also the only chance you get to tell a buyer something about the image at first glance.

BTW I'm pretty sure that's not a grain silo- I believe it's a ventilation shaft for a railway tunnel. Which tunnel? Where? Who engineered the line? When? Which railway company?

Sorry but it's in a village far far away from any railway  but top marks for trying ;-) It's def a grain silo. 

Archived